Google Pixel Phones

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by ice, Sep 7, 2018.

1. caffelatte

caffelatte Active Member

same camera/computational photography according to google IO 2019 and feedbacks from tech vloggers...

leninmac likes this.
  2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I can't find any review that mentions Playground... Must find a demo unit to play with the device.

Honestly, I'm having a really hard time using Marvel ARs... I prefer Star Wars :)

3. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

If I get a cousin of mine to buy a Pixel 3A around Best Buy/Walmart/Target, will it be unlocked by default? Seriously considering a base 3A as a secondary phone.

4. ice

Yup... as per reviews I've seen, its slower than the Pixel 3 but you only notice the speed issue when you like looking at photos right after you take them.

Just received the Time Lapse Camera update today.

5. ice

6. max_Moon

max_Moon Well-Known Member

7. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Saw it yesterday. Still having a difficult time justifying the price. You can buy similar phones from Huawei, Xiaomi, even Samsung with 3 rear cameras, bezel less display and an expandable memory at half its price.

IMG_1236.JPG

8. ice

I agree... In the real world, people don't care about software updates...

I was just having a discussion with a colleague yesterday who is seriously considering the Huawei P30. Told her to go 3A and she started talking about the number of cameras...

leninmac likes this.
  9. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

Buy a Mi 8 128 GB for only P17,500 and install Google Camera and you have a Pixel 3 experience and lots of money saved for not buying a Pixel 3 Xl hahaha

leninmac likes this.
  10. leninmac

I was finally able to install Google Playground on my Note 9. Problem is it only captures photos not videos.

11. DON2003

DON2003 PhilMUG Addict Member

the greatest thing about the Pixel and why people buying it is not just because its from Google, not its design nor spec or anything but the camera, IMHO there is no any phone that can beat Pixel camera, even you port it to the higher Snapdragon 855 phones,
    its simply the best camera in a phone that you can get, period, no need to bring a DSLR with you, you can have the same experience with bulky equipments, and its not just porting google camera can do, it has to be google camera on pixel to do it,

leninmac likes this.
  12. macjobber

Bet you haven't seen the actual difference between a non-Pixel and Pixel 3 Google Camera results.

Spoiler: Not that significant difference, except for the handset price

IMG_20190513_170237.jpg

13. DON2003

what handset are you referring to? or what handset that installed google camera that you trying to compare?

14. leninmac

Good point. Problem is it’s probably the only thing it’s good at.

15. macjobber

And the bugs that Pixel 3 users are complaining.

16. ice

I am a Pixel 3 XL user and formerly a Nexus user. (so every time Apple is talking about iOS updates and how delayed it is with Android... my device is actually updated on time :) )

Ported Google Pixel camera vs the real thing... 99% of people nowadays view photos from a smartphone. Majority of these people can't even see the difference between LCD and OLED.
    (how many people do you know calibrates their TV/monitors or even use Sonos' trueplay?)

A colleague was just informing me how better the XS photos are compared to the XR, and she showed me both phones with the same photo to prove her point.

I posted a Blind Smartphone camera test in another thread last December, and I was honestly surprised by the results.

Personally, the last time I side-loaded an App was on the last days of my Nexus 6P, the App required by Honda's head-unit was not available on Google Play.
    Before that, it was my Note 2, Google Camera can take photospheres.

With all the information available on our phones (family, credit card, personal banking and soon even shoe size, etc) I no longer feel comfortable side-loading Apps, especially on my primary device.

So why should you consider the Pixel 3A... Because you don't want to spend S$ 1,249 on a Pixel 3
    You want Android updates.
    You want Google's UI
    And you're not comfortable with Android One devices.

2 of my colleagues asked me which phone to get last Friday. I recommended the 3A and they came to me yesterday with the P30, my wife... Decided to get the S10.

The Pixel is not for everyone and I think the 3A, 3A XL and 3 looks dated (single cameras with a forehead and chin!), while the 3 XL has a really ugly notch.

But which other alternate device will get Q on the day it becomes available?

17. DON2003

google has the most outdated design if not the ugliest, parang cherry mobile specially now it has the all plastic este polycarbonate to confuse some, but its only for those who appreciate Pixel phones, not for the masses hence the high price as they dont plan to sell a lot,
    now they pushing out the 3a may be just to show brands like Oneplus, Xiaomi, Oppo, Huawei etc that all jacking up their price for the mid range phone that we can have a cheap phone with high end spec and best camera anytime of the day, other higher priced phones are just gimmicky and not reasonable priced,

in the near future we will surely see a even better priced phones from the known brands with the same good specs to match the 3a, may be we have to thank Google for making the Pixel 3A a reality

leninmac likes this.
  18. ice

I agree... It's even more sad when I learned that the 3A series was developed by the HTC Team

19. leninmac

I wouldn't call it cheap. SGD659 isn't cheap for a phone that has an outdated design, average build quality and no expandable storage. In the olden days people buy Google phones because it's perceived to be faster than android phones with skins or bloatwares. That's no longer the case. Budget android phone like the Samsung A50, Huawei P30 Lite are all zippy fast. Both the A50 and the P30 Lite retails for only SGD350-380. Almost half the price of the 3A. People will buy Pixel phones for only 2 reasons. : 1) If they prefer the vanilla android UI 2) the camera

20. ice

Pixels no longer run Vanilla Android.

Google calls it the Pixel UI, hence not all Pixel features are available for OEMs (e.g. Night Sight)

The Stock Android Myth | Slash Gear

leninmac likes this.