Smartphone Camera

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by ice, May 28, 2018.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Starting this thread for conversations/comparisons between smartphone cameras.

I always thought my next phone will be a Pixel...

After watching this video I realized I still prefer the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy S photos.

2. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Nice video with anonymous comparison shots. Still picked the same phone I have

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...still picked B in the blind test......the iPhone X. Not much of a photographer so camera quality is not something that I value highly in choosing a smartphone.

4. ice

macjobber likes this.
  5. pinoyslinger

pinoyslinger Active Member

Slightly off topic.

Planning to get a pixel phone not because of its video/photo capability but for the photos/videos that you can upload without downgrading the quality or resolution to 16mp/1080p if the original is higher.

My questions are 1. Is it really unlimited and forever free? Nobody can really tell... I think. 2. Are photos or videos taken by the pixel gets to be uploaded with no modification? 3. How about those that you take with another camera and use the pixel phone to upload? And 4. Is there any other photo/video cloud service that is free with unlimited storage that does not modify?

Thanks for your answers.

6. raypin

Mm...no free lunch. You have to pay if you want unli cloud storage. You pay subscription or earn storage through referrals. At least with the reliable cloud providers. There are some unknown cloud storage that are more generous BUT will they be still in business 10 years from now? What happens to your data if they go out of business? My advice? Pay and stick with the big players in cloud storage (Apple, Microsoft, Google or Drop Box).

#6 raypin, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    pinoyslinger likes this.
  7. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

1. Yes it is unlimited but not forever at least for the Pixel 2 and 3. Google Pixel 3 owners will have unlimited storage for photos until Jan 31, 2022, Pixel 2 till 2021. The original Pixel does not seem to have an end date, but we all know that lahat at may ending at walang forever haha. Consider this as well that by 2022 you're probably going to get a new phone and if you opt for another Pixel phone most likely Google will still offer free unlimited storage for that.
    2. Yes, all photos and videos are uploaded in their original quality, no compression whatsoever.
    3. I am not sure on this but as far as I know as long as it is uploaded through a Pixel phone does not matter what camera is used granting that the file format is supported by google photos and file size does not exceed 75mb for pics and is less than 100mp for photos and less than 10gb for videos.
    4. I do not know any that is reliable. I would advice you to stick with reliable services. If you have a Amazon Prime membership you can get free unlimited storage for Amazon photos.

8. pinoyslinger

pinoyslinger Active Member

Thank you mga Sirs. I think Flickr is a good option too at $50/year. I am not so sure of their video upload upgrade that they are implementing in 2019. It only says that they will increase the video limit from 3 to 10 minutes. I understand since Flickr's market is for still photos than videos but with the rise of short videos, they might just add video as one of the main features.

9. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Remember, you pay for the free services as well - with your data being used to train their image recognition engines, or used for advertising and marketing purposes.

I prefer paying for Flickr for the photo storage and limited video storage.

raypin likes this.
  10. ice

^Google’s Sundar Pichai: Privacy Should Not Be a Luxury Good | The New York Times

11. ice

64-megapixel phone cameras are coming | The Verge

12. ice

13. raypin

Mm...not on-board with even larger camera array. More to worry about (scratches, damage due to accidental drops etc.).

14. ice

... I have the same concern... Not unless they (Apple and Google) starts using the "periscope zoom," which I honestly don't think will be available to their 2019 devices