Whoa... KEYNOTE CAN DO THAT????

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by LeoCastillo, Dec 14, 2006.

1. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Hey all!!!

I just got my brand new ultra spiffy BlackBook Core 2 Duo (Arise... Lord Vader. MWahahaha!).
    Since it's still quite new, it doesn't have a lot of stuff loaded.

I was going through my files and I opened a Powerpoint file... and forgot I didn't have it installed... and then it suddenly loaded!!!

OH MI GOD....

KEYNOTE CAN OPEN AND EDIT POWERPOINT FILES???????!!!!!

WOW!!!

I didn't know it can do that!! Talagang goodbye na to Powerpoint!!!!

Leo

2. elbert

elbert Active Member

haha, another keynote fan! Welcome to the club.

I discovered the same by accident. For some reason, my when I double click on ppt, Keynote launches as the default app. I don't know if it was an OS X or Keynote update that made the change, since I used to have PowerPoint opening those files by default.

Here's something else for you: If you Spotlight 'iwork', you'll find a file name iWork Tour. Click on that and see what happens. Get ready to get blown away.

3. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

Once you learn the features of Keynote, I bet you'd want all your presentations in Keynote. You wouldn't want to use anything else. Search the web for sites that has support for Keynote. Here's one - http://www.keynotepro.com - it's fabulous! Congratulatioins Leo!

4. alfiesy

alfiesy Active Member

Any training center that specializes in Keynote Presentation locally? The tour totally blew me away, and I'd really like to learn more about eye catching presentations. =)

5. jasondv

jasondv Member

I started using Keynote way back since version 1.0 and haven't even given PowerPoint a second look since then ;-)

For tips on really good presentations, check out Presentation Zen.

6. paparazzi

paparazzi Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new Blackbook Leo!

7. super_ed

super_ed Active Member

6821 Ayala Avenue, cor Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue
    Welcome to the club!

My weekly lesson plan are always done with Keynote and it works! Present and handout Quicktime afterwards.

8. mikko

mikko Member

Pasig, Usually around the Ortigas area - pero pay
    I love keynote too, but how do you work with an entire office of MS Office users?

I tried the export function into ppt or into pdf, but for some reason, everything just gets all garbled up (adjusted, changed) At least I'd like to have all the text still seen on the slide. thing is, thing either disappear or get adjusted. I've tried limiting my usage of effects to those that ppt has,still, super adjusting. In the end, I spend just as much time editing the decks I've created with keynote in powerpoint. Any tips? help?

its super frustrating, but still I use keynote because they blow my audiences away. eheh :)

9. kikoreta

kikoreta Active Member

does the opposite hold true? can you open keynote files in powerpoint? sometimes i have to show slide shows in another computer (pc) connected to the projector. its a hassle to reconnect the setup to my mac pa.

10. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You have to export it to PowerPoint format (Keynote -> File -> Export...), PowerPoint won't open native Keynote files.

11. alvinbai

alvinbai Member

Thanks Elbert for this tip! This file is very helpful! Like a keynote tutorial! :D

12. ultratramp

ultratramp Active Member

kikoreta, i'd prefer to export to quicktime. somehow it preserves the way the presentation works if you happen to like using a lot of transitions and effects. an export to powerpoint will mess up these transitions coz powerpoint usually doesnt have the exact ones. you can select to have the QT movie play continuously or to change sildes by clicking. note that a click will play out all the builds within the slide so design your presn with this in mind. otherwise, its a pretty straightforward conversion. make sure the pcs youll be presenting with has QT installed too.

13. essay

essay Active Member

Thanks for this tip. I myself was not that happy with an exported powerpoint since the transitions are almost always, lost. I didnt know you can at least preserve this via QT.