Where to buy cheap 13” MBP case?

Discussion in 'Apple Accessories & Peripherals' started by punoed, Nov 25, 2017.

1. punoed

punoed Member

Anyone knows where to buy cheaper 13” MBP case?

2. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

More often than not you'd get things cheaper when you buy online. As for which brands to buy, I strongly recommend that you stick to reputable brands even if they're a bit pricier, 'coz remember you're buying an accessory that's meant to protect an expensive laptop, so quality really matters. As I assume you meant hard cases, among the most trusted brands are Moshi and Incase:
    Having said that, if this is your first Mac, I strongly recommend that you give it a try using your MBP without a hard case for 1-2 months and see if you'd be comfortable without one. No offense meant, but often times, many first time Mac users can be a bit over-protective and would unnecessarily buy a hard case to protect their Mac, when actually a simple protective film (to protect the aluminum case from scratches) and a good sleeve (to protect from minor bumps) will more than suffice.

A problem with using a hard case (even that of a reputable brand) is that sand or dust that gets between your hard case and MacBook Pro can eventually scratch your Mac. Also, if the material of the hard case is a bit hard and fits tightly to your machine, through long term use such may gradually wear off the aluminum finish of your MBP. Finally, cheap/no-name hard cases can also damage your Mac due to poor mold shape and imperfections that can scratch your machine. Note that as yours space gray, dings and scratches are more noticeable on yours than on a silver one. So be careful with hard cases. Also, it makes your MBP thicker, slightly heavier and less sleek, which, to me, sort of defeats the purpose for buying the latest MacBook Pro (as its thin and sleek design is among the reasons for its hefty price tag).

Personally, I've never used a hard case on any of my 2 Macs and they've never had any dent or noticeable scratch. My first one is a 2009 13" MBP, which is turning 8 come January 2018 but is still in excellent condition. I bought a 2016 13" tbMBP early this year simply because I needed a faster and lighter laptop. As for my use case, I'm a lawyer and use my Mac mainly for work. I am often mobile and regularly go on business trips. Based on my personal experience I can vouch that, for my use, I've never had a need for a hard case, and that:
    • a well-padded bag is sufficient to protect my Mac from minor drops (which have happened a few times already);
    • a good sleeve is sufficient to protect my Mac from minor bumps; and
    • an ordinary transparent matte protective film on my Mac's upper case is sufficient to protect that part from scratches.
    So before you buy a hard case, I strongly suggest that you first buy your Mac a good sleeve and, optionally: buy a bag and consider applying a protective film on the upper case. See if you're comfortable having just these for 1-2 months.

For sleeves, I strongly recommend Incase:
    One last word: avoid installing a palm guard/palm rest cover, keyboard cover, screen protector or anything else in between your screen and keyboard/palm rest area as it can damage your screen according to this notice by Apple:

#2 Qin Zhi, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017