What's Your Home Theater Set-up?

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by rdy0329, Mar 13, 2013.

1. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

I'll also suggest Watts Hi Fi in Makati Cinema Square. Wide range of brands available, although Rex will steer you to the PSBs and NADs :)

2. Yagbolz

Yagbolz Well-Known Member

Here's mine..

[​IMG]

Forgive the messy clutter.. lol

3. morphine

morphine Active Member

PSBs - front speaker
    Mordaunt short for Center and Surround
    Mirage - Sub
    Yamaha - AV receiver
    Pioneer - CD player
    mygica - media player

4. coolkiks

coolkiks Member

Always been a fan of Mordaunt Short.

Fronts: Aviano 6
    Center: Aviano 5
    Surrounds: Aviano 1

Sub: Velodyne Impact 12"
    AV Receiver: Denon 2113
    Display: Panasonic 42" LED TV

mini itx pc and raspberry pi using xbmc/openelec
    NAS: DNS 323

5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

an ipad air and aiaiai headphones...

6. redtamayo

redtamayo Well-Known Member

currently happy with the joys of my telly connected to a yamaha 5.1 av receiver with a chromecast as one of the inputs, fed through a 'hacked' synology. this is controlled from an ipad app. ;)

the yamaha also has a ps3, apple tv and a dedicated br player attached to it.

7. KatoBoii

KatoBoii New Member

60" Samsung LED 3D
    + Sony Soundbar w/ wireless subwoofer
    + Roku Streaming Media Player
    + Western Digital Live Media Player
    ------------------------------------
    = Heaven on earth ^_^

8. zChris

zChris Active Member

Hi,

I have a Plex based setup running on a Synology NAS connected to a Denon AVR and Boston A series speakers. The HTPC is a Mac Mini. I also have a Roku which is supposed to be for a scaled down bedroom setup (Roku with Plex, JBL SB400, LED TV.

Problem is that I seem to be having some issues with sound not playing on the Roku when connected to the JBL soundbar or direct to the tv via hdmi. I think it has something to do with my movie encoding, which is either DTS or AC3. The Roku is able to play the audio no problem on the Denon setup which supports DTS and Dolby decoding. But no go on the JBL. It does work if I turn on transcoding (as opposed to Direct Play) on Roku but my NAS hits 100% CPU and I get frequent buffering.

Any advice you guys can give to make this all work (short of buying a new Mac Mini for the bedroom setup)? Or to put it another way, any of you guys running Plex on your HT and what is your preferred Plex client?

thanks

9. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Which Roku model do you have? Have you tried switching from surround to 2-channel audio out on the Roku config settings? How do you route audio from the Roku to the soundbar?

I have Roku 3 on both the living room (Onkyo receiver) and bedroom (Samsung LCD TV w/ Dolby) with Plex running on a full server in the back-end. No issues with sound.

10. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

50" Samsung plasma
    WDTV Live
    Logitech Z906 THX speakers

No need for an AV receiver since the Z906 can decode DTS and Dolby Digital audio from the WDTV Live.

11. zChris

zChris Active Member

I have a Roku 3.

Yes, tried both stereo and surround. I route audio from Roku to soundbar via HDMI and soundbar to TV via HDMI. I also tried connecting the Roku to the TV directly. Both ways no sound using Direct Play. Transcode and Direct Stream/Transcode do work with sound but running into high CPU issues on this mode, particularly with 1080p movies.

Perhaps it's my TV, which is without Dolby?

12. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

That's my best guess as well. But it's weird because the JBL SB400 spec sheet states that it can decode DD.

Anyway, you may really need to transcode your media on-the-fly for compatibility. I can see how this can be a problem on most NAS boxes with low-power CPUs.

13. zChris

zChris Active Member

Exactly, which is why I bought the SB400 in the first place :)

Well, such is life I guess...

14. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

Currently on the finishing stages of a new house and although we have a large attic, i plan to use the 3.5x 4.5meter 2nd floor family room as the media center. I was able to get a 55inch samsung and am planning to buy my first home theater setup. Needless to say bec of the house i am now on a budget. I am a noob and my knowledge mostly comes from a few days reading of pinoydvd threads. Havent auditioned any but budget limits me to the following choices:

1. Onkyo s7700 htib with dolby atmos (with wifi, bluetooth, arc)
    2. 5.1 diamond 100 wharfedale speakers with either an onkyo sr333 (bluetooth, arc, no wifi, no dolby pro logic)
    3. Same wharfe speakers with denon x510bt ( bluetooth, airplay, pro logic, no wifi, no arc)

can you gurus comment on my choices please.TIA

15. wem272

wem272 Active Member

First of all... Congratulations on your search for the dream home theater. Sound seems to get overlooked in favor of graphics / video.

Mine is a Yamaha RX-V473 and Wharfdale Speakers. I didnt go wrong with a Yamaha setup. Sounds great with stuff I watch and it does add oomph. Things i considered months ago:
    1. Onkyo had some problems with hdmi boards.. you can read about it on the net. It wasnt clear which batch was affected by hdmi board issues but the board fails prematurely... according to the problems.
    2. Wharfdale is a good choice of speakers. My speakers subs blow underneath and not facing sideways - when it runs it feels like you have a good feel of the beat but your ears are relaxed.
    3. Airplay is pretty useful as well as Bluetooth... mine doesnt have wifi ... but if you can get it then good for you.

Just my two cents buddy. Good luck!

16. reastern

reastern Member

My Setup:
    Amplifier: Emotiva UPA-700
    Pre/Pro: Emotiva UMC-200
    Speakers: SVS speakers (Fronts, Rear and center)
    Sub: SVS PC12-NSD

TV: 55" LG LED TV (Used for Cable TV watching)
    Projector: BenQ HT1085ST (1080p Projector) + 120" screen

17. onepaks

onepaks Member

Jbl soundbar sb300
    Panasonic plasma TV 50 inch
    Mac mini
    Ps3

18. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

You mentioned that you have a house (and not a condo where space is a premium), I say avoid the HTIB route and get dedicated components. Since you already bought a TV, start of with a good A/V receiver. Those brands you mentioned are good but you might also want to add Harman Kardon in your receiver choice.

19. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

It would be better in the long run that you consider your 2nd and 3rd options. The HTIB is great as an entry level however since it is a dedicated room the later option for upgrading is better on the last 2. Speakers usually stay longer unless you feel the urge for upgrades.

20. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

I would vote for #2 or 3, but only if you promise not to go to Pinoydvd (the forum). If you intend to check it out, don't buy anything yet. You're bound to replace #2 or #3, within months, if you do.