Weather Watch

Discussion in 'General OT' started by teamjm, Mar 30, 2012.

1. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

2. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

my iPhone weekly weather forecast shows this

[​IMG]

:)

3. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

Oh darn, I guess we won't be having our Christmas party on the 21st then. :(

4. testdummy

testdummy Active Member

I hope the bishops don't blame the RH Bill again for this possible incoming storm.....

5. lsalapare

lsalapare Well-Known Member

Do we have a typhoon coming in? It's been raining cats and dogs this morning here in makati. Sayang, our own Ka Roland is on his long vacation-from-philmug to give us forecast on the latest weather report. :)

6. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

We're going to the Hot Air Balloon festval thing at clark later midnight.. Is it still advisable to go there with this weather? Is there a storm around pinas these days? I can't seem to find a concrete answer over the net. :/

7. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

How true is this? Ondoy and Habagat size proportions of rainfall seen coming this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way, is there a 2013 Weather Watch Thread? Or maybe we can just rename this thread.

8. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^removed "2012" from thread title to extend thread life. :)

that is the trade-off: the tropical storm is swerving off, saving us from a direct hit. but in its wake, it can also suck damp air from the south china sea, potentially dumping a lot of rain in luzon, just as habagat did last year.

it's like the ire of a woman; you either get lashed at or get mired in silent treatment. :D

9. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

I don't get the figures. So the graph is telling us that yesterday's downpour was just 4 mm? And that today is 7 times as much and this Saturday will have 100x more rain than Monday's?!

10. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Probably why most schools suspended their classes at 4pm today - they got a hold of this over at IG and got scared of the data!

11. Godfather

^ That's my interpretation too, and hoping it's either a hoax or I'm understanding it wrong.

That's why I'm asking if you guys if you've heard of this. My wife just got the above screen grabs from social media sites.

So should I start construction on an ark and collecting two of every species? :p

12. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

Classes in some Metro Manila schools suspended over flood fears | Inquirer News

Several schools have suspended their classes and Manila City hall employees were sent home early because according to the report above, heavy downpour is expected between 5 pm to 7 pm today. It's already 6 pm.

How many times has this happened that rains won't come when classes are suspended, while thousands get stranded when classes/work go on?

13. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

14. anton_mac

anton_mac Member

according to typhoon2000.ph: 24HR TOTAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATION - from 5 up to 100 mm (slight to heavy rainfall) can be expected along areas affected by the outer & inner rainbands...with isolated amounts of 101 to 220 mm (heavy) along areas to the north and south of Leepi (Emong).

My forecast: since as of 6am today the core of emong is 468KM east of basco batanes, so metro manila can be considered as within its outer rainbands, or just around the outskirts. forecast also says isolated amounts of 101 to 220mm. it might seem possible to get these rainfall amounts if MM is right smack in the middle of the inner raindbands but today, we are lucky that the eye of the storm is a good 470Km east of batanes. its still possible to get a good amount of rain but i doubt if it will be ondoy proportions.

here is an illustration of a storm's inner and outer rainbands:
    http://www.typhoon2000.ph/stormparts.gif

for the full update from typhoon2000.ph: Typhoon2000.com - LEEPI (EMONG) Storm Update

15. Godfather

Right now it's sunshine and roses here in QC. And I understand some schools have suspended classes today in anticipation of heavy rainfall.

I don't mean to jinx it. Hopefully it does stay sunny.

But as far back as I can remember when I was a kid, it has always been baliktad. When Pagasa says storms, it's sunny. When DECS suspends classes, the sun comes out. The reverse is also true. Still don't know why it's always like that.

16. itnetad

itnetad Active Member

good thing I didnt bring my car like what happened to me before muntikan na lumubog sa baha. it was a scary experience

17. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Weather geek reporting for dooty. ;)

[​IMG]

Have a nice weekend, y'all! :)

18. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG]

Stay-home kind of weather.

19. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

that time of the year. stay safe y'all. could be an extended, extended weekend. ;)

[​IMG]

20. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

Stay safe everyone

[​IMG]