Wacom Tablet?

Discussion in 'Graphic Designers' started by dinxcarin, Jul 31, 2006.

1. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi fellow wacom users. Is ynzal still the official wacom distributor here in the philippines? My Cintiq has been showing symptoms of dead pixels, and as of today there's 4 black dots around the screen.

Though it'll be a problem if the time to replace this unit would take long, i kinda need it for my work. :slanted:

2. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Wow, great work there!

In contrast I know someone who wants to be a great photographer, he would buy all the latest and most expensive equipment but still produces some very amateurish photos. Perhaps because he focuses too much his expensive high tech tools rather then working on perfecting his skills. The stuff you posted just shows that the final product is always 10% tools and 90% the person.

PS: I just realized that if your artworks are 7 years old than you must have used vintage G3 or G4 Macs back then. That is inspiring, considering people to day worry that they can't do any graphic design on their "low end" c2d Macs. :)

3. ANNON

ANNON Member

Hi, any suggestion which software to get for cartoon drawing. My 8 years old son whose going to use it. For beginner's is it ok the Corel draw. Thanks

4. nmcruz

nmcruz Member

My gf tried using the intuous4 in the mac store of Charlie and she didn't find it natural :(. I wanted to get her one for her birthday but there seems to be a learning curve with using wacom tablets. She liked using the wacom as a mouse for PS and Illustrator though.

5. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

It really takes time getting used to. If she likes to use it for art applications such as PS, then what else would she use the wacom with? I mean, majority of wacom buyers use it for such kinds of softwares. :)

6. nmcruz

nmcruz Member

She wanted to use it to sketch/digitize drawings. It just didn't feel natural off the bat.

7. John H

John H Member

It never feel natural the first time when learning any new skill. I have seen very skilled artist and illustrators draw masterpieces on these tablets. Perhaps she needs to have the gumption to actually learn new skills rather then stick with her comfort zone.

#367 John H, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  8. den_lim

den_lim Active Member

I'd recommend a mouse for Illustrator.
    Wacom is best with photoshop, corel painter, sketchbook pro and artrage.

Wow. Impressive.
    My Graphire 2 still works, but I must've gone through a couple of pens already.
    Can you recommend where to get new pens for this? Ynzal doesn't have them the last time I asked.

9. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

My brother is a technical illustrator and had to adjust when he first started with the tablet but he adapted quickly (learned to draw on a Intuos in just a 2 hours of adjusting) and now swears by it (he does some of the most stunning car engine illustrations by the way). On the other hand I also have a cousin who is also an illustrator but can't seem to adapt to the tablet no matter how much he tries.

Perhaps, being able to adapt and use something new like a digital tablet also depends to the adaptability, skill and most of all - talent of artist. Some can and some simply can't.

10. Bluekaze

Bluekaze Member

i've been using a wacom for around a year. i use it for corel draw, but i'm scouring for other apps, do you have any advice on what's a better program to use?

i use sketchbook for sketching, and it's ok but, i cant draw shapes/vectors on it. corel draw on the other hand, can do shapes,circles, etc fine, but sketching there is a pain for me. i'm looking for a program that does both equally well and equally easy. =)

11. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Some of the recommended software for freeform sketching would be Autodesk's Sketchbook Pro, Artrage and believe it or not MangaStudio. I have a friend who does illustration for technical manuals and he uses both Mangastudio and Sketchbook for drawing because it has some of the very best sketching tools he found.

The likes of Coreldraw and illustrator are mostly vector graphic editors and are probably better served using a mouse then a wacom tablet.

12. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

With vector based softwares, I've always felt comfortable with just a mouse instead of a tablet. I guess Salaryman Ryan is right. This is just my opinion and other designers might still opt for the tablet with vector graphics.

13. imabs

imabs Active Member

i use wacom tablet pure for Photoshop painting. but there are graphic artist also using the pen and tablet in creating vector artworks. that really depends on how they control the pen.

14. amartind

amartind Member

for absolute beginners, wacom bamboo is a great deal for newbie graphic artists.

Careful about the nibs though, for extra ones in case you drew too hard, you need to have to buy online for $5.

15. luvkomacko

luvkomacko Member

me, just bought a new wacom bamboo one pen and tablet with free anime studio six software.

16. e.marcelo

e.marcelo Member

Does wacom offers a left handed version of their tablet? like the shortcut buttons will be on the right side instead of left? thanks.

edit : i just saw it on net that you can actually set it in its own software. :)

Another question! (hope you don't mind.):D

What do you recommend intuos 4 or bamboo pen and touch? Does bamboo can match the precision , accuracy and pressure of intuos 4? thanks. :)

btw im still a student. but i kinda feels i need this later in future because of my course, fine arts. :)

thanks guys!

#376 e.marcelo, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  17. den_lim

den_lim Active Member

Intous is much much better. Best you test which one you'd like to use. There's a demo unit at Ynzal you can try.

18. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    FYI.

Check out Ynzal's Early Summer Sale for Wacom tablets and accessories:

[​IMG]

Visit the website for more info.

Sale ends March 31, 2011. ;)

19. KHG

KHG New Member

I've switched from a Wacom Graphire to an Intuos 2 years ago and never looked back. I use 3d softwares (Lightwave) but a tablet is a huge relief to my wrists. Working on a computer 10 hours a day does put a lot of strain on the wrist if you are using a mouse (especially if you are a graphic artist). :)

20. YESHUA

YESHUA Member

Thanks for the info. I got my Wacom 3 from Ynzal and I'm considering an upgrade. I'm still weighing whether there is a big and noticeable difference between the versions 3 and 4.