The Apple TV thread

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by raypin, Aug 9, 2008.

1. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Airplay and a slightly better UI. That's it. If you purchased movies from iTunes then you can obviously watch it there. Apple TV only works well if you're heavilly invested in Apple's ecosystem.

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...beyond the superior UI, there’s the aggregation function. Apple TV searches all your streaming apps for any title (which you can dictate on your ATV remote, instead of typing which is very slow) and tells you which streamimg app has it (including Apple’s). Very useful (great time saver) if you are subscribed to multiple services. It is smarter than a smart tv. Tim Cook showed us a preview of the next TVOS for the Apple TV during WWDC 2018 which further refines the Apple TV experience.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...-in-tvos-12-over-20-new-features-for-apple-tv

If you plan to just watch Netflix or Amazon Prime, you are better off sticking with your smart TV. For anything beyond that, get the Apple TV 4K.

leninmac likes this.
  3. John cid 42

John cid 42 Member

Aside from netflix, i will be using it for iwantv, iflix and fox +.. i try backreading here parang hindi ata supported ang mga apps na ito ng atv 4k...

That why im trying to think if i should still buy atv 4k and then i will just airplay these apps i mention or should i get a google chromecast and cast these videos... which is better option po ba?

4. leninmac

Yup. But the big question is it going to be supported locally. I’ve had the Apple TV ( non 4K) since it was launched here in Singapore 2015 and there’s still no Siri support locally. You need to register a US account to get Siri.

5. raypin

Mm...there’s no good reason not to use a US iTunes account given that the best-use case for the Apple TV, or any streamer, lie with a US account. Even without an ATV and using only a smart TV, you still need US access. The pasture is always greener on the US side of the geofence.

The local versions for English-language TV entertainment are just not good enough. Severely limited.

With cheap VPNs (the price of a hamburger meal a month) and a modest broadband connection (5 to 7 Mbps), why stay local?

leninmac likes this.
  6. leninmac

Hmm. Because VPN reduces internet speed. A little problematic if you intend to stream 4K contents.

7. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Are you using VPN on a router level? That'd be the dream.

8. raypin

Mm...supplied Fiber router (with wifi capabilty) on VPN. Whole home wifi system not on VPN. So, I can easily switch between VPN connection and non VPN connection dependng on which device I am using.

VPN halves my bandwidth (from 50 to 25 plus minus).

So, Apple TV 4K and Fiber router are on VPN (changed the DNS to Hong Kong) to make my streaming apps access US content (Netflix, HBO Now, Vudu, Amazon Prime, NBC, Sling TV).

Smart TV, internet browsing, downloading/uploading, PC gaming and Whole Home Wifi not on VPN to enjoy full speed (around 48 Mbps stable).

9. seahaven

seahaven Member

Any recommwnded vpn for a us acct.

10. raypin

Mm..I use Getflix. Cheap and it works. Other Philmuggers swear by ExpressVPN.

11. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

Been using TorGuard for 2 years now and they've been great. When I was on 100mbps, my speeds were averaging around 85mbps on their US Streaming server. I'm currently on 300mbps and I'm only getting 100mbps on the VPN, but that's still more than enough for 1080p and 4K. Use this link for directions on how to get a discount.

raypin likes this.
  12. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

I have a 4k hdr tv (but not capable of dolby vision), should i set the video setting to 4k hdr or 4k sdr?

I will mostly used my atv 4k streaming netflix, iflix and youtubes, which mostly the video there are 1080 p and some 4k hdr only...

Should i also turn on match dynamic range and match frame rate?

13. raypin

mm.....Experiment with the settings on your ATV4K and 4K TV and switch to HDR, match dynamic and match frame rate to see if it works.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208288

14. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Pero kayo po personally what is your setting of your apple tv? Do you also switch setting if you are watching 4k and when watching just 1080p? Or you have a fix settings for all?

15. raypin

Mm...both dynamic and frame rates are on. SDR (my LED is not HDR compliant), regardless of the content resolution (HD or 4K). I just leave the settings alone.

16. John cid 42

John cid 42 Member

So basically what you are trying to tell me is if im just going to use apple tv for just netflix, amazon prime, fox+ and youtube, should i just stick with my built in smart tv? And usually all my subscription is just all phil account...

Another question also is just like vimeo, ted, redbull and youtube, what other apps that i can download on apple tv that is free subscription? As in no monthly fee (using phil itunes)

17. vic2rp

vic2rp Active Member

MiBox is also a good alternative. Much cheaper than Apple TV. It can play 4K youtube videos.

18. John cid 42

John cid 42 Member

I heard that one also yung Mi box...anu po ba ang advantage ng Apple tv over sa Mi box aside syempre you could access the content from Itunes.

19. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple TV has Dolby Vision while other boxes do not.

The Apple TV also has its way of cheating your TV, or you I guess, to think that the content you’re watching is at 4K HDR/Dolby Vision. For example, I only have the HD subscription tier on Netflix, but when I watch something and check the info on my TV, it’ll say that I’m watching it on 4K and HDR. Maybe that’s the upscaling function? I dunno. I only encounter this on the Apple TV.

#2939 kinse_44, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  20. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

If i set my apple tv 4k to 4k sdr video setting, will the atv or tv itself will upscale 1080 shows to 4k? And who will convert hdr shows to hdr?