Question on Imovie

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by mares, Aug 31, 2009.

1. mares

mares Member

Hi i'm a first time mac user and currently working on my videos in imovie :)
    my question is what is a convenient way to transfer my videos from my external hard drive (formatted in PC) directly to imovie?

I was able to transfer the video files in two ways:
    - go to imovie then from file select "import file from....." (but this seems to be a tedious process)
    - thru finder open my ext.drive then drag the file to the desktop then open it im Imovie (this takes a too much time)

Actually when I launched Imovie for the first time it automatically imported my videos which were in Iphoto and then it appeared on the upper left box - but now it doesnt do it anymore

hope I was able to explain clearly my question

Appreciate you help :)

2. g_ed

g_ed Member

I suspect that iMovie is converting your videos so you can edit them. The PC video is in a format that can not be loaded to iMovie in its native state. What is the audio/video compression of your PC-formated video files?

Selecting "Import file...." or copying it to your desktop and "Open file....." does the same thing - it's converting your video.

Note: Older versions of iMovie (06 and earlier) used to convert compatible video formats automatically to compressed DV. iMovie 08 & 09 does not do this anymore and you would have to convert the video outside of iMovie to make it compatible for iMovie edits.

This might help (applies to iMovie 09):
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3290

3. glennp00

glennp00 Member

how can i transfer videos i made from imovie 09 to my iphone or ipod touch?TIA

4. rviadojr

rviadojr Member

i did it once lang in imovie 06, if i remember right you have options on where to save it. choose itunes then sync your itouch. hope this helps

5. maxx

maxx Member

I have iMovie 08. I can't seem to drag and drop my .divx, .avi and .m4v movies to iMovie 08.

What file type would iMovie 08 accept?

6. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

maxx: try under file > import movies

glennp00: Click on the menu under share > iTunes then pick mobile format. The movie will appear in iTunes under your movies, then simply drag or sync

7. rviadojr

rviadojr Member

Hi how can't seem to import old imovie projects to 09. help please

8. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

Seems many people are having trouble importing old iMovie projects to 09...