New iMacs (Mid-2010 i3, i5, i7 models)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bhoyetjumpay, Jul 27, 2010.

1. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

Using store.apple.com/ph as your price reference! you'll be surprised with the discount especially if you're paying cash ;)

2. marklj

marklj Member

is there a big difference between the previous imac 27" and the new imac 27"?

the only difference i see is the bump from 2.66 to 2.8 and the video card 512mb ATI Radeon 4850 vs the new model with ATI Radeon HD 5750 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory.

usage will be photoshop cs4, illustrator cs4, aperture/ lightroom and final cut pro. not really a gamer.

do you guys suggest the previous model or the newer one. the previous model is P9K cheaper.

thanks

3. Psynic

Psynic Member

From all the benchmarks I've read, last year's i5 and this year's i5 are almost the same in terms of performance. If you can still find last year's model at a clearance price, I would go for that.

Check out the benchmarks on Macworld. They have a direct comparison between the 2 i5 quads.

It's the same case for last year's i7 and this year's i7.

Barefeats.com has comparisons for both i7s.

The one exception are games. Games are much faster on the newer iMacs because apple updated the drivers for them. People who have manually updated their 2009 macs with the 2010 driver update report very similar graphics performance improvements after doing so.

Mike

4. marklj

marklj Member

thank you. appreciate it. :)

5. fanman

fanman Member

New iMacs have arrived just today at Powermac Center Powerplant Mall in Rockwell:) Go check it out!

6. mdelanoche

mdelanoche Guest

I purchased one a couple of weeks ago but I do wish it had an eSATA port. At least it looks like OWC is giving that option to US iMac owners...for the 27" version though.

7. kelle

kelle Member

Just got mine last week and now I want that magic trackpad. loving it! :)

8. boyd oliver

boyd oliver Member

ei kelle, which imac did you buy?

9. foh

foh New Member

Hi I just got a 27" 2.8 i5 imac the other day. Bought it because my 2008 mbp went down and I had to use something for work while they are repairing it.

Anyway to my question. Where can I buy additional 2gb ram sticks for my iMac and how much are they? its currently 4gb I'm planning to buy 2 additional 2gb sticks to push it up to 8gb. Is it important to use the exact same brand as the OEM one? what brand is it anyway?

TIA!

10. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

Anyone BTO'd the i7 iMac through local retailers? Do they match or beat the online Philippine Apple store price? How is the lead time from order to delivery?

My preference is order via brick and mortar retailer so I can use my points.

11. jps444

jps444 Active Member

did a BTO of the new iMac. iStudio was able to do it about 2 weeks if i remember it correctly. that's why i love iStudio!

12. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

DigitalHub can do BTO of the iMac 27" (not the 21.5" though). the price they quoted me is tempting but i really want the 21.5 because of space limitation

PM Charlie

13. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

Two weeks?

o_O

Thanks!

14. Sir iAco

Sir iAco PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

15. gabriel

gabriel Member

guys, im planning to buy an imac 27-in for some photoshop work and occassional video editing. should i get the i7? or the i3 would suffice? tia

16. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

for Photoshop - i3 would suffice.

for Video Editing - i7 would be a big advantage.

17. gabriel

gabriel Member

thanks cybersniper!

i am thinking of getting the i3 as I'm not sure if I'll have more time to make and edit more videos. and as you said, it should be good enough for photoshop work...plus i'm just a photog/videography hobbyist :D

but i am also contemplating on the i7 as some says it's future proof (at least for the next 3-4 years?)

18. civicek

civicek Member

this is a good buy especially the i7.

19. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

@gabriel

if it's NOT that serious of a hobby, go for something that's just "enough"... perhaps you can use the difference for a good lens or something :)

an investment can only be called "investment" if there is a chance of winning back the capital.. (i.e. if you make money out of it)

and believe me, there is NO such thing as "future proof".

20. imperialv

imperialv Member

An electronic device is not consider an investment unless you will use it in business.