MTB anyone? (mountain biking)

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by elbert, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Netskipper

Netskipper PhilMUG Addict Member

Let me help you on your shopping list

1) Tires
    Kenda Nevegals or Equivalent 2pcs - P1,400 each (or less) = P2,800

2) Hydration Pack
    Camelbak/ Deuter or equivalent = P3,000 ROX has these in stock.
    Eusebio or other hydration packs are cheaper but less reliable and less bling.

3) Shades
    Rudy Project Rydon = P8,000. If you opt for photochromic, It'll run up to P13,000
    Oakley Radar path= can't remember but I think P10,000 or so (Rustans). There is a photochromic version but not available locally.
    Spyder (available in SM) = P1,200 or so. photochromic ver is available in some branches of Planet sports runs below P3,000.

4) Shoes
    If you buy cleated shoes, there are some Shimanos that cost P2,000 or below. Newer models are P4,000 or so.

5) Cleats / Pedals
    If you buy pedals, usually they include cleats. There are several choices. I opted for a Shimano XT pedal. It came with one side having a removable plastic platform (which I removed). I like them in the sense that I can pedal uncleated relatively ok. Price is less than P3,000.
    There are other brands like Crank Brother (I'd recommend the candy model), Time Attack, Look and a few others. The price of these ranges from P3,000 to P5,000. I heard good things about Time Attack.

6) Shorts
    This is optional and the only reason I mentioned this is that I don't know how the ensemble (jersey, bike shorts) will look like if you wear rubber shoes. Anyway, here are your options:

Ground Zero / Kamikaze / Xcountry - P600 to P900. These are locally made shorts with padding in the crotch area.
    Fox Shorts - P2,000 or higher

7) Fenders / Tapalodo
    These are also optional but a lot of bikers have these. They look quite nice but the only reason why not everybody has them is that they add weight to the bike or not everyone likes riding in the mud. Sorry can't remember how much they cost but I think P1,500 will get you a set in the front and back.

Let me also list down some of the bike shops clusters for better shopping:

1. Cartimar (cheap prices)
    Ross
    Paulina's
    Cristy's

2. Makati - Pasong Tamo(most expensive)
    Bike Town Cyclery
    Sabak
    MT Pro
    Dan's
    Gran Trail (Newly opened, Metropolitan Avenue)

3. Quiapo (cheapest)
    Kings
    Global Craze
    Cycle Art

Lastly, about v-brakes vs disc brakes and relevant to the La Mesa ride, disc brakes perform better than v-brakes in wet or muddy conditions simply because rotors do not get as muddied as rims. Take this example:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/GiXXeR11/RainRide17.jpg

Sorry for the long post. Hope it has been helpful.

2. EX3

EX3 Member

shy naman ako puro seniors and masters of philmug kasama ko...be gentle with me guys ha:)

3. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Thanks for the valuable tips, guys. @netskipper, Paulina's and Cristy's are my suki.

4. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

OT: @soloworx: unretire, and start a separate roadie thread, so i can join. my roadie bike left nothing in my pocket for a MTB, as fun as that sounds.

5. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

OT: Wish I could do that, Roland. I already swapped my DeRosa/Campy for a set of brand new Callaways years ago. Also, I'd rather take my chances now with rocks, twigs, gullies and !gasp! ravines, than jeepneys and buses!

Back on topic: @netskipper, I forgot to mention that I use prescription inserts in my adistar (they're actually golf shades).

6. vicicasas

vicicasas Active Member

Ok, if we can finish by 11 then count me in!

1. elbert
    2. jovy aka EX3
    3. Pocketrocket
    4-7 dubeditions plus 3
    8. freeformula
    9. vicicasas

7. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

i know a lot about road bikes, but nada about MTBs. so let me ask y'all: what stock MTB bike for less than p100k would you recommend for the more common trails you guys ride? thanks.

#107 rbenzon, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  8. Netskipper

Rudy Project has prescription inserts for their shades. Although I don't use glasses so I have no experience in actually using them. A friend of mine who golfs also wears rudy project shades when road biking. He says his shades are actually golf shades. Something to do with green.

There are tons of options with P100K. You can get a good Full Suspension Mountain Bike for that price. First off, you better decide what discipline you're going to go into.

http://bike.shimano.com.sg/publish/content/global_cycle/en/sg/index/new_to_cycling/mtb_101.html

Most people go with Cross Country (XC) or Trail bikes as they are considered to be do-it-all. So I'll be recommending these kinds of bikes.

Let me recommend some on top of my head:

1) Giant Anthem X2 (XC) - P90,000 SRP at ROX (Bonifacio High Street). I think its possible to get this at P80,000 if you pay in cash (Try Lifecycles Greenhills).
    2) Marin Quad XC East Peak (Trail) - P73,000 SRP at Ross Cartimar. There is also 15% discount for cash. This is my bike.
    3) Giant Trance X2 (Trail) - P90,000 (can't remember for sure) Lifecycles Greenhills
    4) Trek Fuel EX series (Trail) - Somewhere in this range (Lifecycle Greenhills or Extreme Bike Shop in Panay Ave)
    5) Specialized Stumpjumper series (XC or Trail depending on the model) - Try Sabak. Dan's is the distributor but they don't seem to have stock models.
    6) KHS 604 - P60+K. Sabak / Quiapo
    7) Haro Sonix - P58K or so.

Suggest you visit the clusters I posted earlier. I'm sure you're bound to find something you like with that generous budget.

9. elbert

elbert Active Member

Vic, looks like you could be of great assistance to rbenzon.

10. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

tells you how much i know about MTBs. little. i had no idea that 100k is already considered generous. good! the lower it is (gotta allocate for gear and a rack too! i only have a pick-up rack, but i sold my pick-up) the sooner i can join you guys. ;)

will check 'em out, netskipper. thanks! and people don't realize how helpful it is to also specify the supplier/dealer. so thanks again!

yeah, all-around would be great. am not gonna go crazy. already did that on my road bike. ;) thanks, y'all.

@elbert: where'd ya get your rack? would that be compatible with my 2008 crv? thanks too.

#110 rbenzon, Jul 6, 2009
  11. jha

jha Active Member

rbenzon: do you still have your pickup rack? im interested to buy if it can be installed on my hilux. do you have sample photo?

thanks.

#111 jha, Jul 6, 2009
  12. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Member

i'd like to join as well

1. elbert
    2. jovy aka EX3
    3. Pocketrocket
    4-7 dubeditions plus 3
    8. freeformula
    9. vicicasas
    10. scatterbrain

13. dBAGZiq

dBAGZiq Member

Learned a lot from this thread...i'll be having an entry level Haro v2 (hardtail) this week...bigay ni direk hehehe...hope I can also join you guys

14. Netskipper

100K gets you a lot but you sound like you spent a lot on your road bike, I was shopping around a few weeks ago and I thought 100K is a lot for a roadbike unless you went full campy, carbon fiber frame. One could just as easily spend 250K upwards on an MTB if you're not careful.

For a rack, maybe you can consider a spare tire rack for your CRV. Seems they are very easy to install and are quite stable. Don't know the price but I think its around P5,000 (try Lifecycles). By the way, for full suspension bikes, the rear suspension assembly sometimes interfere when mounting. In this case, you have to buy an extra accessory called a frame adapter. Its a bar that connects the headset and the seatpost creating a virtual top tube. Its hard to explain but what I'm just saying is that you can use any rack with any bike but you may need some additional accessories. if I knew that before, I wouldn't have spent so much for money for my current rack.

15. elbert

elbert Active Member

I got mine from Sabak. I had to find a rack that would mount clear of my car's spoiler and this Travel Life did that just perfectly. It's not cheap, but it's not as pricey as Thule, which I was about to buy had they not warned me the straps would be stressing my rear spoiler. My detailed review here: http://subaruclub.ph/forum/index.php?topic=5166.0

If you don't have a rear spoiler in the way, you can try Sabak or All Terra in Libis (beside Shopwise). They sell a door mount similar to the one by Thule for 1/3 of the price. KKP's got one and it's by Hollywood and I believe it goes for around P5K.

16. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

guilty as charged. ;)

that's why i specified the year of my crv, because it doesn't have a spare tire mounted on the rear door.

just the same, your tips were really helpful. what you and elbert shared are reasons why i subscribe to some "local forums"; because i can always google stuff. but what's available locally, where to find them, and at what price--that info is gold. thanks for sharing!

@jha: i still have my pickup rack. if i can't find a web pic, i'll take its photo and post here. give me a few days.

thanks, everyone!

17. vicicasas

vicicasas Active Member

With the Fortuner's ample cargo hold, it's easy enough to just remove the bike's front wheel (yay for quick release) and toss both bike and wheel into the SUV. Then you can drive off without fear that someone will rear end you (and your precious steed) on the highway.

However, having a bike rack would still be preferable in case I don't get a chance to hose off all the mud and gravel. I'll get around to it sooner or later.

18. pocketrocket

pocketrocket Active Member

Hi Vic, I have the same rack as elbert's in my Fortuner. It fits very well. Very sturdy and I hardly ever take it off the back.

Ask Dub (our resident iphone and fortuner expert) about his rack. He had it custom made.

19. elbert

elbert Active Member

Complete with brake/signal lights and plate number, dub's is indeed special.

20. Netskipper

Uh oh. Seems like you were hit with the virus. Upgrade virus that is. Best if you avoid it this time with your MTB. Just be aware of your predisposition to be affected by it and control it this time :)

Sorry I did not notice that the CRV did not have a spare tire rack. Other options are Roof Rack (less than P10,000 travel lite whole package with cross bars, bike rack and all other stuff to mount a bike @lifecycles, bike station pque or around P24,000w whole package for Thule) or a Hitch Rack (Fabrication/installation of hitch receiver around P7K to 8K plus the hitch rack-hollywood sportrider P8K-P9K) Bought the hitch rack at John Wilkies Marikina, Extreme Bikes and Lifecycles also has this. Fabrication /installation can be done by this guy in Marikina named Boyet. PM me if you want his details. You can also probably use the Hollywood express or Baja. They have straps to secure the rack. It'll cost around P2,500-P3,500. This is available in most bike shops.

You're very welcome!