MTB anyone? (mountain biking)

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by elbert, Jun 29, 2009.

1. elbert

elbert Active Member

we had loads of fun! Sta. Elena's trail is awesome. Looking forward to riding in La Mesa next Saturday.

2. kikoreta

kikoreta Active Member

Looks like a fun ride! Sama next time! Nice bikes btw.

3. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Question: I have a Tank Easton aluminum hardtail with Deore gruppo. Will my setup be adequate for the trails you guys run? Well, for one thing, I need to swap my street tires with knobby ones but I wonder if I still need a full suspension bike. Also my Shimano bike shoes are for street riding, so I'd like to know if I need a different kind.

I'm a retired roadie and MTBs are alien to me. I've never done downhill at all in my life.

Sheesh, now I realize that even my apparel is for roadies.

4. Ramon

Ramon Member

I am not really familiar with Tank Easton, somewhat of a beginner myself. I ride a hard tail with a decent fork and I was alright in the trails.

You don't really need a full suspension, to ride hard trails, but it would definitely help!

You'll need a fork though to get through some trails. If you have money to burn get a full suspension already. I am giving myself a year and I think i am going to upgrade.

My brothers first time hitting a trail in sta. rosa was a bit of a hassle because he was using a rigid bike and got two flats in upak (the downhill part of the trail) because all the pressure was on his tires.

it is a very addictive sport and will defintley burn holes in your wallet!

Goodluck

5. elbert

elbert Active Member

I think the hard tail will be fine in La Mesa. You have enough time to get those tires before Saturday. This is gonna be fun!

6. Netskipper

Netskipper PhilMUG Addict Member

I think you'll have no problem with your setup. I would suggest getting Kenda Nevegal tires with 2.1 width. They're priced around P1,400 each and available in the Makati Belt, Cartimar or Quiapo. Just make sure your wheels can take that width.

As for your shoes, do you mean you use cleats? From what I know, road bike shoes are not practical to use in the trails. Why? Because the trails are more unpredictable and you tend to clip in and out more often than you do on the road. Take a look at the pedals of your mtb first. Is it the platform type? If yes, then just wear some good rubber shoes on this ride. If not, consider changing them to platform type.

In La Mesa, there are downhills and there are technical uphills. I'd suggest you stay away from them especially with the weather we're having. Tell the ranger you'd like to take the easier route. You'll enjoy it more. Also, bring lots of water or food. I heard there is no store inside. A friend nearly got dehydrated for forgetting this. In my experience when I run out of water, my body starts getting cramps all over.

Note: I've never been to La Mesa but I've heard a lot of stories from people who've been there.

Lastly, I see a lot of people wear their roadie outfits in MTB rides although you'd look kinda off with rubber shoes. Hmmm you can always wear cargo shorts on top of your cycling shorts to make you look more MTB :)

7. elbert

elbert Active Member

I'm using Shimano clipless cleats for my MTB. They say that lots of semplangs is to be expected when wearing cleats for the for the first time, but, ironically. I have nor had a major one since I started using them (knock on wood).

I started out using an old pair of my Mizuno running shoes and it was with those that wiped out in major fashion. I guess it's true what they say about 'being more connected with the bike'. Either that, or I'm getting better at MTB.

On the trails, I see lots of MTB riders using off-road shoes, some with cleats, others without.. Off-road shoes are necessary to get grip especially in muddy and slippery circumstances. On the occasion that you have to dismount and walk or carry the bike, you'll be wishing you had the grip. My Shimanos have studs like football shoes, and they've really saved me a couple of times.

8. elbert

elbert Active Member

Reposting the limeup for this Saturday:

PhilMUG MTB La Mesa ride on Saturday. 11 July 2009 at 7:00am
    1. elbert
    2. jovy aka EX3
    3. Pocketrocket
    4. dubeditions

9. Ramon

Ramon Member

i dont use cleats, makes it easier for me to maneuver in and out especially if you are taking a corner at high speeds and you need to move your leg to gain balance. However sometimes you may tend to slip and shin guards do help with the pedal scraping.

I forgot to mention for you to purchase front fenders and a decent pair of shades for those unwanted flying debris!

10. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

My wheels are the Mavic Deemax. I think they can fit 2.1s.

I bike with cleats (that's the roadie in me). I never relished the pain of the pedal hitting my shin on the occasionally missed downward cycle. My MTB's pedal (Shimano DX) is platform but the edges look so mean and I'd really hate that hitting my shin. But you're right, trails do require the rider to clip in and out many times.

I guess my best option is to look for studded but cleated shoes. Oh, I'll need a Camelback also. And cargo shorts that don't go past the knees. Oops, new shades to replace my ratty-tatty adidas adistar. Darn, the shopping list is getting longer.

Another question: are disk brakes necessary? What I have are the Deore calipers.

Sigh… Ramon added fenders to my list. (Aren't they a bit girlie?)

11. elbert

elbert Active Member

Haha, nonstop gastos!

The more I ride, the less I clip off.

I don't use cargo shorts. Cycling shorts lang. Less washing.

You can probably start off without disk brakes, but eventually, especially when you encounter lots of downhills, your fingers will long for hydraulic disks.

I don't have fenders, I actually like the mud and water splatter (although irritating when they shoot straight into my nostrils).

Of course, all my advice is based on my limited newbie knowledge and the stuff I learn in YouTube (yes, there are dozens of useful vids for newbies there).

12. elbert

elbert Active Member

I've made arrangements for La Mesa, but I need to know the headcount.

Just in case it rains a lot this week, we may move to Sunday.

Please sign up na!

13. vicicasas

vicicasas Active Member

We're starting in the early am, I hope? I really want to come along on Saturday but I'm covering the DLSU-UE game in the afternoon at Araneta and I'm not sure if I'll be able to do both on the same day. I'll just have to figure out my schedule.

If we do move to Sunday that would be great for me.

14. Ramon

Ramon Member

Girlie? haha, never thought of that. Dont mind looking girlie if it saves me from bruising. :)

They aren't that expensive, around 1k+ in Sabak. You might be able to find a better price in Kartimar.

Man, wish i could join you guys this weekend, La Mesa is in my short list of trails to hit.

Have fun in ride safe!

15. Ramon

Ramon Member

Actually I would already invest in brakes. Vbrakes can wear out easily and destroy your rim if you are in the trails because small pebbles can latch on to your brake pads and scratch your rim and ruin your pad.

The upgrades are never ending elbert, but you already have a killer bike, so you wont need much, for now... hahaha :)

16. freeformula

freeformula Active Member

Elbert - great bike! Looks like you got a fantastic deal for it!
    Vic - A La Mesa Saturday morning ride can end by 11. You'll have enough time to cover the game.
    1. elbert
    2. jovy aka EX3
    3. Pocketrocket
    4. dubeditions
    5. freeformula

17. pocketrocket

pocketrocket Active Member

If we start early enough, we should be finished by lunch time. It'll also depend on how much trails we want to ride. I would suggest we take the standard singletracks to tower 5 and forego tower 1. This'll be around 18k of trails 90% singletrack, 10% fire roads.

Cantilever brakes on a hardtail will be fine for la mesa (you should see the poor bikes of the rangers). As long as the bike shifts well, I foresee no problems.

18. pocketrocket

pocketrocket Active Member

Suggestion: No one wash your cars from now till saturday so it doesn't rain!! A muddy la mesa ride is a lot less fun!

19. fleadip

fleadip Member

wow sounds good :) i'd join but i just recently started walking again :( had an accident and had a spiral fibular fracture.

20. dubeditions

dubeditions Member

1. elbert
    2. jovy aka EX3
    3. Pocketrocket
    4. dubeditions plus 3
    5. freeformula