MERGED: ALL AppleCare Discussions for Mobile Macs

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by godivachoc, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

Re: AppleCare: Is it really worth buying?

^ If you really want to use your laptop in bed I suggest getting one of those lapdesks. Got one for 800 pesos from makeroom. Also some rubber bumbers to put them one would do.

I have to suggest that you really consider getting one since it's getting hotter than usual these days. Heat causes stress in the materials so it's best to try and dissipate it.

2. rviadojr

rviadojr Member

Worth it! Peace of mind has no price! sulit yan Bro who else gives this among manufaturers

3. braveheart

braveheart Member

YYYEEESS! i got my optical drive replaced twice. i got my top case replaced twice. i got my charger replaced.

Optical drive 180$.

Top Case 120$

Apple Care. priceless...

4. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Another cause of logic board failure, in our experience, is plugging laptops in "dirty" power without the protection of a proper voltage regulator/surge protector. (dirty power usually does not kill instantly, more like it wears down the components of your computer gradually)

Speaking of heat, I would avoid using any notebook for hardcore gaming because games stresses both CPU and GPU which generates LOTS of heat. I have a friend who would constantly game on his PC notebook for many hours. His laptops tend to fail within a year or so regardless of brand.

Of course if you have Applecare or a 3 year warranty then you can simply ask the company to fix your notebook.

#24 Salaryman Ryan, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  5. mannyespejo

mannyespejo Active Member

when should i buy apple care? just got my MB last march, should i buy it now or wait a few months before the 1 year warranty expires? thanks!

6. redtamayo

redtamayo Well-Known Member

^Buy when you have the budget regardless of whether the unit is 1 day old or 11 months old. As long as the 1st year warranty has not expired yet.

7. Shinobi

Shinobi Member

@Elx: thanks for the tip. where can i get one?

@Ryan: thanks for the tip. i never use mine for gaming... only for experimentation.
    this is the main reason i bought one.. coz i was curious as to what the fuzz with Macs were all about and i really wanted to learn how to operate one. given these, would using my MBA say 2-3 hours everyday make it more prone to logic board death? how about leaving it on Sleep Mode all the time.. is this ok? i look forward to your wise tips.

8. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I know 2 people using their Macbook Air for many hours a day for a year and have no problems what so ever. One of them has yet to shut down his air (he just sleeps it). So I don't think normal usage or even long hours of usage will kill your Air. Just keep your temperature in check. I would recommend the following:

1) Download iStat to monitor your temperatures.

2) Download Fan Control and set your Fans around 2500 RPM to keep your notebook cool

3) You can avoid gaming but you can't avoid Adobe Flash when you surf. Sadly, Flash anything tend to heat up Macs because it is not really optimized to run efficiently on Macs. So if possible, avoid Flash.

An unintentional source of Flash are ads so use plugins to block Flash Ads such as Adblock for Safari

If you watch Youtube a lot then read this to use Quicktime instead of Flash to watch Youtube Videos.

4) Don't use Bootcamp. Macs running Windows in Bootcamp tend to heat up quickly because of poor drivers for the Mac's cooling system when running Windows. I suggest using a emulator within OSX such as VMWare instead.

#28 Salaryman Ryan, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  9. fenrisform

fenrisform Member

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!
    OO! OO! OO! OO! OO! OO! OO! OO! --- nuff said!!! :)

10. mmarc

mmarc Member

I can't seem to find the answer of my question.. If i bought my Macbook and Time Capsule separately and I bought an Applecare now for my Macbook, will it cover both my Macbook and Time Capsule or only my Macbook?

According to the FAQ about Applecare it says

"Comprehensive coverage

The AppleCare Protection Plan covers your Mac, as well as an AirPort Extreme Card, an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station, Time Capsule, MacBook Air SuperDrive, and Apple RAM used with your Mac. Mac mini, Mac Pro, and MacBook Pro customers may also register one Apple display for coverage, provided that the Mac and the display are purchased together."

It does not state that the Macbook and the Time Capsule should be purchased together, it only talks about the Mac and the display.

i tried googling my query but it seems no one can exactly say how it works.

Thanks for any information on this.

11. mysterio

mysterio PhilMUG Addict Member

How about for apple products that have already had their standard warranties expire? Di na puwedeng bumili ng applecare?

12. arelcee

arelcee Active Member

That's right. You can only purchase Applecare while the standard warranty is active. Which is why if you can afford it, you should buy Applecare upon purchase of your Apple product.

13. pael

pael Well-Known Member

plus one on this. my superdrive conked out 7 days after my warranty expired. compare that to the ibook g4 of my gf, no problems at all after 5 years...:slanted:

OT: my notion before for spending a premium on Mac was hardware reliability and ofcourse the amazing OS...but since Mac hardware is not as reliable anymore, given a chance, I probably won't get a Mac in the future. But yeah, you can pay additional premium via APP to have peace of mind.

14. lefthandedwonder

yes. peace of mind tlga.
    i had the chance to use it for a defective mighty mouse

15. mysterio

mysterio PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks. I hope my brother got APP for his macbook before its warranty expired.

16. just bry

just bry Member

yup get the APP, i have APP already and now i never worry about the health of my mac

17. banannarama

banannarama New Member

I was able to get an education discount since I work at a school and I jumped on board with the APP because now my MBP is covered for 3 years

18. Re: AppleCare: Is it really worth buying?

kapatid ..... go ahead protect your investment you won't regret AppleCare Protection Plan nakaranas na ako.

19. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

Buying Applecare from ebay: is it safe?

Hi guys, especially to those who have vast experiences in buying from ebay:

My one year limited warranty on my MBA is expiring by June, and I just found a superb deal at ebay: An Applecare for Macbook Air which costs only $125 (roughly P6.2k). I know the saying "if it's too good to be true, then it probably is". But then, this guy has 465 positive feedbacks and classified as a Powerseller by ebay.

Link here.

So, do you think it's a scam or is it one of those ebay "steals"? How does one get a Powerseller status at ebay? Can one really fake 465 positive feedbacks? (By asking 400+ friends to vouch for you???)

#39 docnico, Apr 25, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  20. migboy

migboy Member