MacBook Pro Dvd Drive Not Working

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by welt, Mar 6, 2010.

1. welt

welt New Member

I have a 1 year old MacBook Pro with a Dvd Superdrive (MAT****ADVD-R UJ-867).(No AppleCare)
    I did some very minor and minimal DVD/ CD burns during the year.

And when I needed it most, it does not work. It gets the CD/DVD and has an odd beeping low tone sound, then ejects it a few seconds later. It does not read anything.

I have tried resetting the NVRAM and some other methods here: http://db.tidbits.com/article/10562?print_version=1
    but to no avail

Please Help, or should i buy an external DVD drive already.

Thanks in advance.

2. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

Looks like your drive is busted.
    I've had 2 superdrives die down on me already with minimal use.

Your options are to have the superdrive replaced around 10k I think or get an external drive.
    As per my experience though, you can't boot your CDs/DVDs on non-apple external drives.

3. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

The combo drive broke on my nephew's MacBook. Minimal use too. I suspect it froze and broke because of that. I just use an external usb dvd drive to use cds. It boots into the OS X installer dvd. Should you opt to use a usb drive, you can test your cds before you buy. I recently bought a generic slim superdrive and it works fine. You know what, from what I understand, you can install another hard disk instead of your superdrive. You can do that and use a usb dvd drive.

4. peppers

peppers Member

Hi Welt...from what I have read about the article you mention in the link, there was no definite determination wether its a hardware/software/firmware issue is at fault.

At this point I would advise you not to go and change your CD/DVD Drive to Apple service provider unless it is still under warranty. Determine first what is at fault and as a user here is what you can do..

1. Clean the disc. The drive may eject a disc if it’s dirty.
    2. Try to insert a known good cd/dvd disk, and also try it on another cd/dvd drive.
    3. Clean your drive by using a cd/dvd cleaning disk.

If problem wont go away..Heres another way you can do..

To find out if it is a software problem

a. Connect an external CD/DVD drive via firewire...then via USB...If both are working, this means there is nothing wrong with your current system software. Proceed to b.
    b. Update the firmware. This is something a little risky because this process might eventually totally render ur superdrive inoperable. Follow the correct flashing of the firmware. To get an update of the firmware, try getting it from the manufacturer website or the one that is developed by the people at DVD firmware page. If this process fails...Proceed to C.
    c. Run Apple Service diagnostics Test. BUT........if you only have this software...its only available for the Apple technicians..as directed by Apple and not for consumers/users. If u know a friend who is a tech at apple ask him if its possible to ask for that software. Remember..the ASDT is different for every mac model. By the way this test will also determine if it is a hardware problem, you just have to switch to hardware test .

If c is not what you want to do for any reason, then go to a service provider but bear in mind of the following tips Im giving you...

1. The tech will do all of the above for the quick fix (should be). It is possible that he may jump right away to replacing the drive by another to see if it is a drive problem. This means he is going to open ur MBP. I dont know if it is ok to ask them if they will ever run a test first because most tech jump to this solution immediately.

2. If changing the drive failed......they will declare it is a busted logic board.(Assuming they have inspected other possibilities..like mechanical problems, loose attachments...and others)

I still have to say alot but I need to go for something important...

Gudluck

5. sanction214

sanction214 Member

hi..i really can't find the topic for CD Drives..(for iBook)..my sisters iBook CD Drive keeps popping-up/opening by itself every power on. is there a setting for this? would appreciate any inputs on this..TIA

6. koppee1

koppee1 Active Member

anyone know if we can send our macbooks to those "laptop repair stores" for a combo drive replacement? I'm sure it doesn't really cost 1x,xxx pesos to replace it...apple is just killing us. ugh. I actually asked one of them and they said they could do it...

7. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

FYI, yes you can boot using 3rd party external drives.

8. koppee1

koppee1 Active Member

do you need to do something first before this works? how do you do it?