Is Cable TV heading out the door?

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by oj88, Oct 16, 2014.

1. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Those channels are available on SkyCable Select. You're gonna need a base plan first then add those channels.

2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

because here in SG, when cable providers started seeing fewer customers, they started providing the channels separately.

So I'm only paying S$6/month for my wife's Lifestyle channels, the App is also available on Samsung TVs so I basically was able to seamlessly cancel my cable.

I was thinking if the same option is available locally (in PH)

3. kinse_44

SkyCable is also offering channels only without having a base plan. But choices are so few. Like it's only Cartoon Network and Metro channel.

4. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

SkyCable service has been very bad. I can barely get a decent signal on my cable TV. Reaching their hotline will not connect you to any live agent. The troubleshooting options provided do not work for me. Reaching them via their website has resulted into no one contacting me. I guess this leaves me no choice but to cut their service. Honestly, been holding on to cable just to catch some shows we patronize but a lot are already available via streaming.

5. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

Been without cable TV since 2017. Local news and current affairs the TV plus (even without ABS-CBN) takes care of that. Everything else from the internet displayed on/streamed to the smart TV. One less monthly bill and one less thing that may experience service interruption.

ronjet and onefour like this.
  6. onefour

onefour Member

Haven't had cable since 2015 and I'm not missing it.

chorizo likes this.
  7. chorizo

chorizo Member

Cable free since 2018.

8. makinao

makinao Active Member

We just unsubscribed this month. Signal on many channels have been choppy on and off for years. I still miss some live shows, but I’ll get used to it.

9. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Haven't had cable since 2014. I remember people being shocked back then when I told them we don't have cable tv. Then eventually it became less and less of an anomaly and instead became the norm. Now in 2020, if you have cable, people are shocked. :)

The big cable companies like Sky and Cignal should provide streaming services for the channels that they carry. That is the only way they can stay relevant.

DirecTV subscriptions in the US allow access to HGTV and other channels to subscribers abroad through the use of VPN.

#109 Godfather, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  10. Kingmaker

Kingmaker Active Member

Terminated my cable subscription in the same year you did. Never felt the urge to re-connect.

chorizo likes this.
  11. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

12. kinse_44

Disney To Shut Down 18 Channels In Southeast Asia

List of notable services affected:

Disney:
    • Disney Channel
    • Disney Junior
    Fox:
    • Fox
    • Fox Crime
    • Fox Life
    • FX
    • Fox Movies
    • Fox Action Movies
    • Fox Family Movies
    • Fox Sports
    • Fox Sports 2
    • Fox Sports 3

National Geographic:

• Nat Geo People

Music:

• Channel V

Big blow to cable TV providers and subscribers. The Fox channels, mostly the sports channels, have value among the rest since the Fox Sports channels carry major live events like Tennis Grand Slams, Formula 1, MMA events, regional and European football competitions.

These Disney channels will end on October 2021. This could be part of Disney's plan to expand their Disney+ services to the region.

leninmac likes this.
  13. pepspeps

pepspeps PhilMUG Addict Member

F**k.

No more F1 broadcast. Can't even sign up for a F1 TV Pro as it is geo-restricted.

14. gogetit

gogetit Active Member

I quit my Skycable last April 2020 when it suddenly went dark and couldn't get in touch with anyone to complain. Am happily now just YouTube watching and saving some P 500 monthly!

15. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm…I still have cable through converge as part of the fiber bundled. Dont use it anymore and I wish I could cancel it. A few years ago, It was just for local news but since a major channel was taken off the air and they went streaming, there is no more use case. Also, video on demand of streaming is just very convenient and a major advantage.

16. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

There’s always IPTV you know…

macjobber likes this.
  17. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Let’s be real, cable has no advantage. Anything of interest or popular we’ll learn from the web and get it from streaming or the high seas.

18. pepspeps

pepspeps PhilMUG Addict Member

Yep. Been doing this for a long time also.

However, most of the time they're not reliable on the race itself, so I need to get up on my couch to either refresh it or find a new source.

Dekra likes this.
  19. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Streaming TV also has its downers, especially if you live in the US (or access their content via VPN). The recent schoolyard scuffle between Roku and Google has caused the former to drop YouTube TV from their platform. They're playing a game of he-said-she-said and as usual, it's their customers that are caught in the crossfire.

Just to be clear, they dropped YouTube TV (Live channels), not YouTube.

20. benzng

benzng Well-Known Member

any good iptv providers? i subscribe to one before and it went out before my 1 yr subscription ended