iPhone SE (2020)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by AVG, Apr 15, 2020.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I was thinking of the same thing... Seriously Apple... how much unsold 4.7inch LCDs, aluminum bodies and TouchIDs do you still have... :mad:

Then I realized... This (SE-2) or the Pixel 4a

I'm a Pixel fan, and will choose the 4a for myself, but for the other person, I'll always recommend the SE...

leninmac likes this.
  2. ice

We say that all the time (when I new iPhone comes out) but only China (and HK) has that model

3. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

seems like iphone se china is onky single sim.

4. ice

I was only stating a fact that ever since Apple released a dual-physical sim iPhone for China, there was always "hope" that we get the same version...

5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....aimed at the I dont care if it is “ugly” for as long as it is cheap for an iphone crowd. Perfect for entry level users, older folks, younger children, secondary or backup phone users, students etc. It will be a huge seller, just like the Xr.

and, hey, its got the A13 Bionic chip.

With the cost savings, you can buy an Apple Watch or Airpods Pro.

rdy0329 and ronjet like this.
  6. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

7. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG]

looks like all global version of the new iPhone SE are the same.

8. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

My thoughts as well. Apple probably still had a lot of them unsold 4.7inch LCDs and rather than having them go to waste, decided to repackage them with the innards of the 11 and come up with a Frankenphone SE. Kinda sullies the memory of the original SE pocket rocket which when they resold the last remaining stocks on clearance, went out like hotcakes at $249 / $299. But I'm all for recycling and living green so it's all fine and dandy.

But the demand for the dream comeback: a notch screen, the internals of the 11 in the chassis of an iPhone 5SE is loud and clear. Now THAT would earn Apple in the bajillions, regardless if they priced it at a cool $999.

ronjet likes this.
  9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...this is Apple pivoting to the mid-range market specially in the third world while maintaining its stable of high-end iPhones (to be joined in Sept. by the most expensive iPhone ever, the 5G iPhone). I do not think it is because of inventory clearance of parts. Why? Because Apple is not a manufacturer. It contracts the manufacture of iPhones to third parties like Pegatron. Hence, it is Pegatron who is responsible for excess parts of the iPhone from a production run. The way it works is Apple projects orders for iPhones. It gives its order to Pegatron. Pegatron figures out the rest including manufacturing or ordering parts from other manufacturers of iPhone parts and then it assembles them. Periodically, Apple adjusts the orders of iPhone units, either increase it or decrease it. Once done, Apple takes the finished products for distribution. If there are excess inventories of iPhones, well, that becomes the problem of Apple, not Pegatron.

It is iPhones, not parts (LCD etc.). The only parts it orders and maintains are parts for repairing broken iPhones. That is not a lot.

10. makinao

makinao Active Member

The 2016 SE started at US$399 for base 16GB. It had the same body and touchID as then-discontnued 5s. It had the same chip and rear camera as the then-current 7.

The 2020 SE starts at US$399 for base 64gb. It has the same body and TouchID as the now discontinued 8. It has the same chip and rear camera as the now current 11.

Consistent.

#30 makinao, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  11. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

In the US:

Them: We’re kind of poor right now. Tough luck Apple. We just got unemployed.

Apple: Give me your stimulus package, bums!

Them: Oh yeah, that’s $1200 over the top. Minus the price of the SE we still have money for the leather cover, some iTunes, Apple +, and of course, games. We got ourselves covered, man.

Apple: See, everything will be all right. Apple wins all the time.

Them wives: What the hell did you idiots buy? Can’t eat that damn thing? The hell can’t even pay the rent.

Them: Hey momma, it’s got 4K. Damn Netflix would be good.

Them wives: Whachasayin’ boy? Didn’t tell me sooner. Oh heck I love it already.

Apple: We always win. (y)

raypin likes this.
  12. makinao

makinao Active Member

But the USA stimulus package is meant to get people to spend, spend, spend on consumer goods so that the economy doesn't tank. In my drum forum, there's a thread on how they spend their checks, and after paying bills, not a few bought new $1000 kits and $500 snares. Besides, they already bought out all the toilet paper in the country, so what else can you buy? Hahahahahaha

13. textguru

textguru Active Member

very consistent.

I previously bought iP6s then SE, now I bought iP11 then might be SE 2020 (wife is interested)

14. jappy_24

jappy_24 Member

I am going to return my iPhone 11 Pro Max once the Apple store here in Perth re-opens and get this phone instead. I actually bought the 11 Pro Max because of bigger screen for playing games, but since I got my iPad Mini 5, I have not used the 11 Max much. I feel that I am not maximizing the usage of the 11 Pro. I used to own an iPhone 7 as a back up phone before I gave it to my sister and I just love the feel of it of maybe it is just nostalgic. I just want a decent camera, better processor and I'll be happy. I will have a 14days anyway to give it a shot and if I did not like it I can just return back to the iPhone 11 Pro max or maybe wait for the new iPhones by October.:sneaky:

15. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

I need touchID in this new facemask world!!!
    Maybe I'll replace my X for this instead. Any chance they'll put a headphone jack back in one day?

16. makinao

makinao Active Member

Hmmmm... that's true. OTOH, it won't work with gloves on. :-(

17. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

I generally don’t bother with gloves, I just hand wash frequently. So that’s ok for me

18. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Apple invests on the machines that manufactures the devices. The investment pays for itself after a few years, and this is Apple extending it another year. The manufacturing for the old SE form factor has shifted to accommodate the new iPad Pro form factor, which, if rumors are right, will be the same form factor used for iPhone 12. The old iPhone 6 form factor is now fitted with 2019 processors, to further extend the use of these machines.

IMHO, Apple is extending the use of their old machines while they start distributing their supply chain to sites outside of China, where they can invest, hopefully new machines for more new designs.

19. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG]

if only there'sno travel ban i would order. sheeshh

raypin and ronjet like this.
  20. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

Dual nano SIM? I could get the 64GB for less than HKD 3,249 from the US