iCloud not compatible with Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Apple iCloud' started by dlsa0218, Apr 7, 2012.

1. dlsa0218

dlsa0218 Member

I am a very unhappy because Snow Leopard is not compatible with iCloud since I really want to use the iPad locator

I purchased this iMac last year before the OS X Lion was released

2. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

Unfortunately, the solution is to bite the bullet and upgrade. You'll hav to do it sooner or later, anyway, if you want to take full advantage of your machine. The other option is to wait for Mountain Lion (10.8). Just make sure your hardware is supported, although it most likely will be.

3. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Lion isn't that expensive, only $29 (about P1500), and you can easily buy it online.
    For iCloud alone it's definitely worth it, what more with the other features that Lion has!

Leo

P.S. The iPad locator doesn't require your Mac to be on Lion (doesn't even require a Mac, a PC is fine). Just go to icloud.com and you'll find the locator there.
    If you Mac is on iCloud, the locator can find it too.

#3 LeoCastillo, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  4. dlsa0218

dlsa0218 Member

if i google os x lion feedbacks, countless blogs/forums tell that it is the vista of apple...

The only thing that i like is the iCloud not the Lion OS X itself
    but apple seem to found a way to "force" its customer to purchase Lion for the iCloud

5. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

I don't know about it being the Vista of Apple, all I know is that I'm using it, many users here in PhilMUG are using it and except for some specialized needs most people are happy with it.

Don't believe everything you hear out there, including my own opinion. :)

I recommend you try asking people you trust who've been using it for a while and ask their experience rather than some blogs who I think are just trying to get some hits.

Leo

P.S. Also, I googled "OS X Lion Feedback" and all the links on the first page were pretty positive (except for the Gizmodo one, but you know them and Apple).
    I didn't explore further, but I'm betting you that it's more positive than negative.

6. dlsa0218

dlsa0218 Member

good point

7. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Lion ain't really that bad if that is a concern you are worried about. I, for one, am quite happy and satisfied with it. But that is considering that I didn't made an upgrade since my mac came preloaded with it.

However, it may not be the case for mac users who got used to the way previous OSX versions worked and then got pissed when older applications (PPC or non-Lion compliant apps) ran into problems or when they were forced to change their ways of using the new OS (such as natural scrolling or the removal of features in previous versions of the OS) upon upgrade. Probably that's how the label "Vista of Apple" came about.

Although if I would be in your shoes, the added cost and hassle of upgrading to Lion (installing from the web for hours or going to a store that can install it) is an issue for me. Especially if I have applications that have compatibility problems with the new OS or, in your case, the need to use iCloud.

But then again, as penmanila said, the solution is to bite the bullet and upgrade if iCloud really mean than much to you.

8. dlsa0218

dlsa0218 Member

the only reason i want to use iCloud is to maximize the iPad locator

9. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Again, you don't need Lion to make the iPad locator work. Just go to iCloud.com, log in, choose and you should see your iPad show up (assuming of course your iPad has Find iPad On and is online).
    No need to have any angst on Lion to make this work :) Why don't you try it and let us know?

Leo