How do I sync iCal with Entourage?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by quicksilver, Mar 19, 2006.

1. quicksilver

quicksilver Member

I downloaded MS Office 2004 for Mac 11.2.3 Update the other day, and changed the preferences in Entourage to enable synching with Address Book and iCal.

Synching with Address Book worked well: I can now enter a contact either in Address Book, Entourage, or my Treo650 and they are all in sync. The added benefit is that Entourage syncs with Outlook in my office pc, so now, all my contacts are in sync.

The problem is that the calendar in Entourage has been wiped clean and i can't seem to make my Entourage calendar sync with iCal. i noticed though that an Entourage calendar has been created under ical (it says that "This calendar is automatically created by Microsoft Entourage").

Does anyone know how I can make iCal sync with Entourage calendar?

2. Fidel

Fidel Member

I think I was able to do it...

I saved an event in iCal (using the Entourage calendar) and it showed up in Entourage right away. In addition, when i deleted the same event in Entourage, that event was also deleted in iCal.

When I saved an event in Entourage, it did not appear in my iCal right away and a yellow warning message about a difference in time zones appeared on top of the window where you write the subject, location, time etc. of the event. I changed the time zone to HongKong time and voila, the event appeared in iCal.

Note: If you make a new event, the same warning will appear again so I went to Entourage preferences and changed the default time zone under calendar.

When I changed my preferences for the first time in Entourage, I selected "merge" instead of "replace".

Hope this helps. :)

Image of warning sign:

[​IMG]

#2 Fidel, Mar 19, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  3. quicksilver

quicksilver Member

thanks fids. that worked!

i changed my preferences to "merge" instead of "replace" and synching with entourage now works, but it is not seamless. It will only sync those events in iCal which are placed in the calendar labelled as Entourage. events in other calendars in iCal will not sync with Entourage.

this works for me because my personal appointments wont show up in Entourage calendar, which i share with other people in the office.

4. Fidel

Fidel Member

Yeah, i noticed that entourage would not work with the other calendars of iCal... but at least it syncs in some way.

Glad to help quicksilver.

#4 Fidel, Mar 19, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2006