Have you switched or use less your DSLR?

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by King, Jan 20, 2015.

1. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

DSLRs from Canon and Nikon are big, bulky, heavy and expensive. So are you using more or switched to a a large sensor compact, mirrorless or a smartphone?

2. jonathanvital

jonathanvital Active Member

3. linkk

linkk Active Member

i sold my canon dslr (5dmk3) and lenses about 2 yrs ago and switched to a mirror less camera (fujix100) due to weight. though now i seldom use my x100 and instead use my smartphone.

4. pscolboy

pscolboy Member

as they say "the best camera is the camera thats always with you". iPhones tend to be less inconspicuous when snapping a frame compared to when using a dslr. I find micro four thirds/point and shoot cameras lacking in terms of manual controls and af responsiveness as well as reliability compared to dslrs

5. slater

slater Member

Never used my SLR since I got my iPhone 6. Aside from not being bulky, it's easier to edit photos directly in the phone itself. I am yet to try out micro 4/3's, though.

6. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

When my son was born 12 years ago, I started carrying baby stuff when we travelled, and I couldn't carry my DSLR bag anymore, it was just too heavy. So, I just carry my iPhone for photos. Now with our 3rd baby on the way, my son is old enough and can finally carry some of the stuff and I'll be able to carry my DSLR once again. Although I got used to travelling light from then on, and might think twice about it.

7. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

I'd love to go Fuji. But it means I have to let go of my 5D mk1, 40D, 2 L lenses, flash, normal lens so I could get an X-T1 + kit lens. Argh! I think it's not worth it. Maybe when I get a jackpot, then Fuji it will be. Meanwhile, I can live with my LX5. But, heck, I'm ok with my Android phone for everyday personal shoots. :)

8. zedd

zedd Member

Still using DSLR, but for everyday shooting, I shoot with EOS M.

9. Cmmig

Cmmig PhilMUG Addict Member

Was using my ancient Canon 350D for travelling and special occasions, but just got the Sony HX60V (has great battery life, IQ and a super 30x zoom/720mm with a very compact size).

10. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Not using my 5-year old Rebel T1i as often compared to before because this hobby took a seat back in my priorities when I had my son 2 years ago. Having two jobs also takes most of my time.

95% of the time, I shoot photos with the only camera I have with me all the time - iPhone 5.

11. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

12. pael

pael Well-Known Member

I am just waiting for the an updated m series body from Canon. There is a rumor that they'll update it with 7d-like AF and sensor.

13. CruciaL

CruciaL Well-Known Member

Mirrorless baby. :)

I held my old D300 last new year. It sure is heavy. Very heavy.

14. Craig

Craig Member

Switched to Olympus mirror-less micro 4/3 format several years ago with the E-P1. "Upgraded" to the E-PL5 (have the clip-on electronic viewfinder). Would love to have a newer micro 4/3 system, but just can't justify the expense since I use the ip-6 most of the time :-(

15. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

Holding a dSLR in a public event, say a parade or street dancing ... just ... feels ... sooo ... Jurassic! :D

16. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

When I bought the Olympus OMD-Em5 in July 2012, I held on to my Nikon D7000 for 2-3 months to see if there was anything I shot that I would rather shoot with the heavier and bulkier D7000. There was none.

So I sold the D7000 (to a PhilMUG member) and never looked back.

The only times I miss the D7000 is for the occasional action shots in burst mode, where I get more keepers due to its better continuous AF.

17. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Exactly the same reason why I can't let go of my Nikon system. But I'd love to get the X100S/T for everyday/travel camera, that's if I can even find time to travel. LOL!

18. R-T

R-T Active Member

Stopped using my dslr after getting an LX5 years ago. Fits in my jacket/bag and I don't have to worry about it when traveling.

19. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

What I have in mind. Sell the 5D + 17-40 f4L + flash. Keep the 40D + 70-200 f4L. But then, what can I buy with that? Definitely not hte X-T1. Maybe the XE-2 body only. Nyahahah!

20. macxchange

macxchange Well-Known Member

Around Feb of last year, I sold my Canon 5D MKIII with all the lens to shift to a smaller body Mirroless DSLR like cam. I got the Fuji X-T1 and invested on some lens as well. No regrets on my decision.

#20 macxchange, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015