FREE: NTFS by Paragon until Dec 7 09

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by skinhead, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Skint

Skint Well-Known Member

I just want to know what will be the consequences if you will enable the NTFS enable as default on the Terminal in SL?

Kindly enlighten me does apple gave warning what will be the consequences that entails?

2. zirkwander

zirkwander Member

If you're assuming that this may harm my Mac, then why would the Terminal commands exist in the first place? Besides, this software is a third-party product. Between doing the commands and using this software, the latter could cause more trouble simply because it wasn't produced by Apple.

The write-function is disabled by default because Apple has the assumption that the end-user of their Macs wouldn't be using HDD that is NTFS formatted which is widely used by Windows. They just gave that option to be enabled to compliment the Boot Camp utility and users who in turn still rely on some Windows applications.

You could only "BASH" your Mac's system if you're stupid enough to open the Terminal and input commands you don't even understand how they function.

#22 zirkwander, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  3. Skint

Skint Well-Known Member

@zirkwander

You had a point there :)

Had you had any encounter glitches or acting up so far after enabling it I need your opinion because I'm planning to buy a external hard drive for my photos ,music library and videos.

I don't want to use the Fat 32 to format its simply because of the limited cap per file and wanted to plug in the external hard drive on both OS (windows and mac) to maximized its use for both users.

My question is does enabling NTFS permanently in SL can cause any consequences and how stable it is when you tweak the command of the Terminal for this feature?

Thanks in advance.

#23 Skint, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  4. mitchtb

mitchtb Active Member

Thanks for sharing! :)

5. zirkwander

zirkwander Member

So far I haven't experienced any problems with regards to my files stored in my WinXP partition. Also, I've been using MacDrive to access my HFS+ (Mac) partition when I'm using Windows. Total transparency of partitions. :)

But again, not all are comfortable tweaking commands over at the Terminal. It's just a matter of choice of what tools are you going to choose for having access to NTFS partition. :cool:

I must warn you, if you're only half-hearted on using this to enable the write function to NTFS partitions, I suggest don't do this at all. :)

#25 zirkwander, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  6. Skint

Skint Well-Known Member

I'm not half hearted in something its worth doing with a little of tweaking on your mac then save some space on my drive and one impotant thing maximize the capabilities of my Mac.

I just want to make it sure how effcient and effective by enabling the feature.

By verifying it that so far so good, I will format my upcoming external drive into NTFS format then enabling that command on the terminal thanks for giving your humble opinion.

7. decyph3r

decyph3r Member

After downloading and installing this last December, 2009 (when the promo for the free download started). I never had an issue, until a couple hours ago. I received this mesage:

"The trial period for this version has expired. The program is still functional, but the software and hardware compatibility is no longer guaranteed. That's why we recommend you to buy the full version."

I thought this was free?

After receiving the message, my Mac doesn't accept my external harddrive anymore! (WD MyPassport Essential SE 1TB), I had this message (i guess) in seven languages, and tells me that I have to restart my computer. Whenever I plug my WD and after typing the password, it just goes to that "press and hold the power button" to restart my Mac. And so goes that cycle.

I'm afraid I have to reformat my External HD again.

Anyone having the same issues? Suggestions?

8. alistair

alistair Member

Don't know whether your external is nuked, but for NTFS partitions, I recommend:

MacFuse + NTFS-3G

Free as in speech, not just as in beer. Now you know the difference.

9. decyph3r

decyph3r Member

I was able to resolved my problem. It was not an external HD issue, it was the NTFS app! I isolated it by setting my Paragon NTFS for MAC OS X driver to OFF. Voila! My Mac was able to recognize my external HD again! Although I can not write from my external HD. My next step is to download and install what alistair suggested: MacFuse + NTFS-3G. Thanks! :cool:

#29 decyph3r, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010