Facebook Thread

Discussion in 'General OT' started by ice, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Sir iAco

Sir iAco PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

hitme64 likes this.
  2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Big Brother is always around even when you don’t want them to...

Funny because i never knew Samsung would turn up to be a Zuckenberg lackey

raypin and Sir iAco like this.
  3. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Don't forget, previous iOS had Facebook and Twitter integration on the OS level, too -- no way to remove it. ;)

4. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

^^ True, I did unlink all my accounts when I knew what they track even with no FB app on my iPhone...still I trust Apple to do the privacy restriction when I unlinked it...but FB had notorious tricks to exploit that they finally removed it in newer iOS versions.

5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....that’s new....so Samsung is saying that Facebook is one of it’s core app even though it is the product of a completely different company. Funny. Damn funny. :p

Google pays Apple billions each year to keep Google as the default search engine but Apple also gives its users the choice to use Bing or Duck Duck Go.

Sir iAco likes this.
  6. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I just remembered my Asus Zenfone has Facebook, Messenger and Instagram pre-installed and cannot be deleted (You can have it disabled)

7. ice

8. Sir iAco

Supporter

I Mentored Mark Zuckerberg. I Loved Facebook. But I Can't Stay Silent About What's Happening.

time.com

[​IMG]

9. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

I want to deactivate my facebook account but that is where I normally get news and articles from websites I'm following. Any alternative?

10. raypin

Mm...yeah...it’s called a newspaper. Go old school. For *real* news. For international, you can opt for digital versions of real newspapers or magazines. New York Times, The Economist, The Wall Street Journal, Time, Wired etc. Stuff reported, not invented, by real journalists....who went to journalism school.

Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  11. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^There’s also something called Twitter. Like the one used by the beloved Donald Trump and our very own SFA Teddyboy Locsin. .

12. Aargh

I'll probably just keep unfollowing people and blocking a lot of pages in facebook. I still have a few good friends using the platform and it's still nice to stalk them, I mean be updated on their current affairs.

13. raypin

Mm...joining that infamous list is Elon Musk. He can’t keep his mouth shut. Two infamous tweets: one accusing a British man of pedophilia (the one about those missing Thai boys scouts) while another tweet of his....well, he practically attacked the US SEC. A CEO of a publicly-traded company publicly attacking the SEC, the primary regulator of companies, including his? Positively suicidal.

Yes, I follow Trump (super-crazy and ignorant) and Musk (crazy genius) on my Twitter account. Bill Gates is one of my favorite twitter. Mostly about his foundation work and his recommended books. He is a voracious reader.

I like Twitter. No filters, no middlemen, no spin zone and direct from the horse’s mouth....

#53 raypin, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  14. Aargh

Twitter sounds fun maybe I should give it a try too! Hahaha

15. pepspeps

pepspeps PhilMUG Addict Member

Try using Flipboard.

You can follow categories, magazines and/or specific news outlets. You can also hide content which you do not want to show in your feed.

Been using this for more than 5 years now. I deleted my Facebook account around that time.

I also recently deactivated by Instagram account. I only use Twitter now for traffic and tech updates.

16. max_Moon

max_Moon Well-Known Member

I use RSS feed readers like feedly to subscribe to the RSS feeds of unbiased and non fake news sites. It’s very convenient.

17. ice

18. Sir iAco

Supporter

Facebook pays teens to install VPN that spies on them

techcrunch.com

[​IMG]

Apple bans Facebook’s Research app that paid users for data

techcrunch.com

[​IMG]

19. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Facebook made sure that it's a harder decision than it should be to deactivate your account. You came for the news and memes but you stayed because it's the agnostic platform everyone seems to be in.

Common phrase around my circle is: "If you're not on Facebook, it's harder and hassle to stay in touch." We do have the tool to avoid toxic friends and/or newsfeed, Some just opted to use messenger exclusively.

Flawed business model = Facebook's turning 14 years old and still piss the bed like they're 5. Apple's bitch slap might be the greatest thing they did to another tech giant. Google didn't even think twice and yanked one of their apps.

1.4 Billion Devices under the Apple iOS / Mac ecosystem is a very lucrative base to not play by Apple's rules.

#59 rdy0329, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  20. ice

Facebook won’t store data in countries with human rights violations — except Singapore | TechCrunch