Extracting Photos from the Photos and Old iPhoto Apps

Discussion in 'General macOS and Apps' started by HardCharger, Jan 1, 2021.

1. HardCharger

HardCharger Active Member

Hi All,

I'm in the process of moving all possible data from my legacy MBP's HD into a new external drive. I'm almost done with the miscellaneous files, I just now thought about all the photos stored in here. Is there a way for me to get them all out into the external drive? Are there any downsides in doing so?

While we're at it, is there any other data that I should be moving or at least be copying into the external drive to ensure the data lives on after MBP decides to go to the big service center in the cloud?

Thanks in advance!

2. HardCharger

3. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

Will this work for you? NOTE: You need to have a functioning Mac to open the iPhoto library:
    https://www.macintoshhowto.com/software/how-to-access-your-iphoto-library-without-iphoto.html

4. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

If you hold the option button while opening the Photos/iPhotos app, it will allow you to create or load a different library. It will also show you the current location of your photo library. You can then just copy the entire directory to your external drives.
    The option button hold while opening an app will work on most apps that have libraries e.g. iTunes, Photos, Photo Booth, etc.

5. HardCharger

6. HardCharger

Thanks! Something to try for the other files so I have an alternative.

7. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Just wondering, can you open an old iPhoto Library on a new Mac?

I only have experience opening a new iPhoto Library on a older Mac Version -> will not work

8. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Try using the Photos app to open the iPhoto library. I think it will upgrade it to the Photos format. Make sure you have a backup before doing this.

9. HardCharger

If on the same Mac, all old iPhoto libraries will be migrated to Photos app. At least that's what mine says

10. HardCharger

Somewhat related to this topic, I found a page that teaches you how to move your photos library from your Mac into an external drive. The advantages of this, is that you don't have to extract the photos in your library and it frees up space in your HD or SSD. Is this worthy endeavor? Any pros and cons you guys can see?

A possible con to this is that I really need the Photos app to access my photos whereas if I extract the photos, I can still access them using windows, Linux, and of course, Mac.

11. HardCharger

From the lack of replies, I'm guessing no one has done this? If this is the case, are you all subscribed to the higher capacities of iCloud storage?