Earphones for running

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by ako_si_Mac, Nov 24, 2009.

1. ako_si_Mac

ako_si_Mac Member

What do you guys use? I need to buy ASAP. I intend to have a separate IEM for home/office listening.

I'm looking at the Sennheiser PMX 80 and OMX 80. Both cost about 3000. If I would buy these, they should last at least for a year! :) I want something durable.

Is there like an ultimate earphone store here in Manila, where one can find the best brands (e.g., Sennheiser, Etymotic, Ultimate Ears, Westone, Klipsch, Grado, Audio Technica, AKG, Shure, NuForce, Monster, Beat by Dr. Dre) at competitive prices (i.e., comparable to online bargains)? I know Audiophile carries AKG and Shure, but what about the other brands?

TIA! :rolleyes:

#1 ako_si_Mac, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  2. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

I'm too OC to use expensive earphones/headphones for running/jogging. I don't want them to get wet with sweat or the occasional rain. I just use the iPod stock earphones for light runs and one of those Nike running earphones for heavy/serious runs. The Nike Flight headphones is a good example.

3. lawrencebosox45

lawrencebosox45 Active Member

i used to be dependent using the ipod during runs. but lately i run without any distractions. i'm actually running faster without the music.

but i did buy these sony mdr as 50g (I just don't know if they are available sa pinas.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/sony-mdr-as50g-active/4505-7877_7-32909105.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

they are unique in that they keep on your head securely by using the shape of the coiled plastic brace. when coiled the fit into a small 3in round carrying case. the fit is secure and the sound is ok but the outside noise can be blocked off significantly because of the sealed tight fit. they are washable and supposedly water proof.

i really like the fact that they are super secure on the head. i have problems with ear buds or even active earbuds that curl around the ear that fall off no matter what.

i got them for $35 here sa US using amazon.

#3 lawrencebosox45, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  4. donalyza

donalyza Member

I'm using Jaybird Freedom, its a bluetooth headset. Best of all, it has lifetime warranty against sweat.

5. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

6. eomasilungan

eomasilungan Member

i use the sennheiser sports earphone. it, however, gets loose when you run fast. i am scared of using the in-ear ones since i mostly run on busy streets so i might not distinctly hear the vehicles honking.

7. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@eomasilingan: I carry my iPod in my hand and snake the cord up my sleeve, around my back and out my shirt in the back of my neck and to my ears. If I'm running near or close to traffic, I remove one of the earphones from my ear. Or if I'll be in traffic most of the time, only one earphone is in my ear at all times.

8. danotingc

danotingc Member

i know this is blasphemy, but when i run, i just go for a nike vapor. the tinny-sounding clip-on pair. it retails for a grand now everywhere in the metro, and it's by far the cheapest pair of running buds you can get.

btw, if you run everyday, don't expect it to last you more than two months. my left bud died out in a month and a half of religious running. and don't expect much from sound too. think ipod pack-ins with a clip on.

9. ako_si_Mac

ako_si_Mac Member

Thanks everyone for the replies!

@johannes: I got you. That's why I want to have dedicated earphones for running. :)
    @lawrencebosox45: I'll see if I can find your suggested earphones. I want to try it first because according to CNET some people complain that "The band is not adjustable, so not all users will be able to have it loop behind the ear."
    @donalyza: that Jaybird is way above my budget. :)
    @rafaelc378: I've had a lot of Philips earphones and they're all busted now. :( How long have you been using yours? How often do you run?
    @eomasilungan: which Senn sports earphones do you use?
    @danotingc: hmm i really care about the sound eh. :) Hmm how often do you run?

10. psymd1

psymd1 Active Member

[​IMG]

i have this..and they suck. LOL they keep falling off

11. ako_si_Mac

ako_si_Mac Member

^^ Haha! Aren't those the Tours by Beats by Dr. Dre costing $180? :)

12. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

As I always tell everyone, the cheapest, most stable earphones i've ever owned...1400 pesos only.
    [​IMG]

13. lawrencebosox45

lawrencebosox45 Active Member

for some reason even the over the ear headphones seem to fall out of my ears. I had a cheap sony version, and a lame nike version like this and it was the same if the cord gets jostled a bit they come off.

the nike vapor: still didn't hold down and the left bud conked out right after the 1 year warranty. the cord would get soooo tangled even when neatly wrapped. I can truly say I hated these headphones.
    [​IMG]

the sony's: cheap (less than 500p) but still came off after running. I still have these that I use for listening to podcasts while doing yardwork/housework (at least since its so loose i can hear the telephone ring).
    [​IMG]

14. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

I've had my earphones for a little over a year now. I usually go out 3x a week, rain or shine. If it rains, I just bring along my waterproof case and my boonie. Haven't had any problems or breakdowns. Even with my one earphone in style of running. (The other earphone is tucked into my shirt and is exposed to sweat.) I think this is because the cord is thick and rubberized and the construction is very sturdy in comparison to other earphones I've come across.

15. eomasilungan

eomasilungan Member

ako_si_mac, the model that i use is OMX 80 Sport II. it costs around P2,500.

16. eomasilungan

eomasilungan Member

the nike vapor: still didn't hold down and the left bud conked out right after the 1 year warranty. the cord would get soooo tangled even when neatly wrapped. I can truly say I hated these headphones.

i also have the same experience as lawrence with regard to the nike vapor. in addition, it is not rust-proof.

17. ako_si_Mac

ako_si_Mac Member

More than a year? Wow, that's durable, considering your running frequency. Hmm..I'll definitely consider that Philips model.

18. psymd1

psymd1 Active Member

yup the sound is great, but for running, id get something else.

19. littlepitboy

littlepitboy Member

yeah nike vapor sucks.. mine rusted and the ear hook broke cause of the rust..sound quality is bad..

i wonder where we can get senheissers.. been looking around but according to the shops they pulled out for inventory..

im curious to see how good the sports earphones are..

right now i just use my vmoda bass freq.. which falls off when i get sweaty already.. but love the sound quality...bbbb BASS!!!

20. littlepitboy

littlepitboy Member

What earphones are these? and where can i get them?