Diet - What works for you?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by godivachoc, Sep 29, 2011.

1. beecube

beecube Member

More than losing weight and getting my BP and sugar in the normal level is to feed my body with nutritious food. I think the goal should be to be healthy and for that we need to eat nutritious food and not depend on crash diets.

I avoid eat:
    sugar (I replace it with stevia, an herbal sweetener)
    rice
    bread
    all 'fast processing' carbs like potatoes even.
    chips
    soda
    sugary drinks

I drink lots of water and herbal tea

Instead I eat regularly:
    whole wheat rolled oats for break fast or lunch (depending on my mood). To make it more palateable, I add the stevia to sweeten it, cinammon powder (unsweetened), half teaspoon of coconut oil, pure cocoa, pieces of fruit like banana or apples and coffee creamer.
    i drink calamansi juice with stevia first thing in the morning to keep myself "regular"
    for lunch I eat boiled egg (not more than 2) and some veggie dish
    I have also researched on indian cooking and implemented several recipes that result in flavorful veggie dishes. Lucky to have an Indian store nearby for the spices and ingredients. I take sometime each week to come up with a new vegetarian recipe so that the veggies will not end up being served as salad or sauteed or steamed. I know, it can be really tiring!

I have all sorts of herbs and powders in our kitchen like fresh cilantro (wanchoy), turmeric, cumin, garam masala, etc. They are great for the soups and snacks.
    Portobello mushroom is also a very tasty substitute for meat.

I only eat 1 meal with meat/fish (limited to only 100grams!) every other day
    I may eat brown rice occasionally if the dish calls for it.
    I substitute my rice with steamed vegetable sides like string beans and carrots, or bokchoy.
    most days I have some kind of meal with lentils, beans or tofu as well for protein.
    i snack on raw celery or cucumber with hummus spread on it, peanuts, green peas and popped beans.
    For fruits I eat what I like: bananas, apples, papaya, sometimes pineapples, suha.

I started it only last month and i already lost 5 kg. My target is 1 kg (or 2.2 lbs) a week. My bp and blood sugar also suddenly fell to normal levels.

triggerbokie likes this.
  2. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

I try to avoid sugar especially artificial sweeteners. Recently I've decided to avoid all processed meat so instead of the organic turkey bacon for breakfast I now have organic steel cut oats. I add (all organic) black chia seeds, almonds with dark cacao and cinnamon powder to the oatmeal. I'm trying to avoid dairy so instead of Greek yoghurt I now have either almond milk or coconut milk yoghurt. Instead of buying bottled juice (Suja über greens) I make my own and bring a bottle to work to drink mid morning instead of snacking on a Kind bad. Still working on eating less meat especially red meat..making better choices eg. instead of having lamb saag I just get vegetable korma of palak paneer. It's been months since I had a hamburger (or any fast food I believe) and the last one I had was made with grass fed beef. I have white rice a few times a week and when I do it's half a cup, unless I have it with Thai green curry. ;)

#362 xthine, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    Sunil_K likes this.
  3. lsalapare

lsalapare Well-Known Member

I avoid nothing - that's how my diet works. What I avoid is the people in the office who brags about their diet, supplements, programs and posts on their FB but after a month or two ay wala pa ring pinagbago sa katawan nila. Lol

triggerbokie likes this.
  4. clcabatbat

clcabatbat Member

calorie counting, high protein diet.i eat lots of meat, fruits, vegetables and drink 4-6 liters of water a day. from size 44 waist to size 31. 80% healthy food 20% cheat foods.

greta87 likes this.
  5. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Staying away from ALL kinds of carbs and sugar that produces glucose. Diet consists of pure meat and fats including eggs and non-starchy vegetable for fibre. Lost about 10 kilos last year but my wieght keeps on se sawing because of carbs intake. So i started to limit 16g of carbs a day again.

greta87 likes this.
  6. Ejaxene

Ejaxene PhilMUG Addict Member

7. suavecito

Yes. My blood sugar has been the lowest i ever had and cholesterol level at all time low inspite of devouring egg yolks, animal fats and meat.

Ejaxene and greta87 like this.
  8. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

been gobbling on generous servings of nutella over 3 slices of gardenia wheat bread ( 3 servings, thickly spreading one each ) daily. that's brunch. then a generous meat or veggie viand serving for dinner, estimate serving for 2. every other day push-pull body weight workout. 6 glasses of water daily. plateaued at 64kgs. been at it for 3 months running. works for me.

9. Ejaxene

Ejaxene PhilMUG Addict Member

@suavecito can you share your typical meal plan for the day? I think keto will be beneficial to me but I keep falling off it :(

10. suavecito

TBH, i just ate any type of meal with all the starchy carbs removed. As much as possible, no sugary drink. Yesterday i snacked chicharons hehehhehe. I guess the hardest part would be the induction stage, which is the first 3 days without carbs. Your body will crave for it like drugs.

11. anjerodesu

anjerodesu Member

How about weight gain diets?

12. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Started taking out rice from my meals, and I've been taking brown rice for a long time now. It just makes my intake a lot lighter without it. Limiting breads to one meal a day max, like if I've had a breakfast roll (eggs, meat on bread) in the morning, I make it a point that would be the last one for the day. Otherwise, I keep off it altogether. Focusing on meats (beef, chicken, fish) and veggies now.

But I just started this past week so we'll see how it goes.

Have to lose weight before we go home for the holidays, hehehe...

13. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

14. andrews.rsheila

andrews.rsheila New Member

15. norman_ece

norman_ece New Member

To regain your health I highly recommend "The Fat, Sick & nearly dead" an award winning health documentary by joe cross

My health & fitness routine:
    -Fresh Vegeatable with fruit juice in an empty stomach preferably after a workout or in the morning.

- regular exercise: weight & cardio

- sleep

- no softdrinks & sugary drinks like coffee & artificial juice & no junk food

16. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

I am a 38yo male that is 173cm tall who leads a largely sedentary lifestyle. The change of nutrition and lifestyle is for longevity by eating cleaner. I want to live beyond the year 2100.

126kg - 28/03/2016 - Friend brought me to Nu Skin to try to sell diet plans and pills to me and I refused. Instead I started to become more disciplined with my whole food plant-based diet.

120kg - 19/04/2017 - Started CrossFit and studiously do bootcamp 10x every 30 days. Weight loss is courtesy of a whole food plant-based diet that had a lot of cheating

108kg - 12/07/2017 - Lessened the cheating and stuck to the whole food plant-based diet.

Target pacing: 1kg per week reduction until I hit 10% body fat. US CDC and UK NHS recommends this pacing as the max.

Target: Final body weight will be dictated by the extra skin caused by the weight loss so I can go as low as 63kg to as high as 86kg. This range is based on the BMI of centenarian marathon runners, champion Formula 1 drivers, champion triathletes, champion CrossFit athletes.

My two blood test was on a whole foods plant-based diet with lots of cheating.

HBA1C was caused by 6 mango trees in my house that gave me more than 1 dozen fruits to feast upon everyday during the summer months. And my trips to Iloilo and Bacolod where I was gorging on two whole chichen inasals, about 1 dozen cups of garlic white rice a bag of piaya and a bag of barquillos within 30 days prior to the blood test.

I have corrected this and now only consume 1 mango everyday, no more white rice, animal protein is restricted to wild salt water fatty fish and no more baked goods.

URIC acid was caused by eating a cubic-inch of fish and 2kg of beans every week. Moderate consumption of purine-rich vegetables (e.g., beans, peas, lentils and spinach) are not associated with gout.

I intend have a retest done on 26/10/2018, this is 120 days after to allow for a more accurate reading. I hope the improvements in nutrition will result in a HBA1C dropping to 4.3-5.3% from the pre-diabetic 6.3%.

[​IMG]

These are my 21 weekly whole foods plant-based meals. All meals are animal-free except for the fish. Fish is only there for vitamin B12 and less than half of my protein requirements. More than half of my protein is from plant sources.

Processed/refined foods are only the oil, salt and vinegar. No processed/refined sweetener/carbs/starch of any kind was used. Beans are bought dry and aren't from a can because of salt is an essential part of the canning process.

Olive Oil is 1/3rd cup for 21 meals. Salt is 10.5g for 21 meals. This is in compliance with DASH diet's minimum daily allowance of two teaspoon of oil and 1.5g of salt. I use a measuring cup and gram scale for accurate measure.

My liquid is only filtered water of at least 4L/day. This is equivalent to eight 250mL glasses recommended by doctors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Food plate that I follow

[​IMG]

Food pyramid that I follow

[​IMG]

If you have time watch this. It will explain what I am doing more thoroughly.

#376 King, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Sunil_K, rbenzon and docjbr like this.
  17. MickieMo

MickieMo New Member

For me the best is first cooking myself home, chicken+green beans is my fave:) basically as old as the world: less carbs, more protein and healthy fats. And aboiding places with strong donuts smell LOL

suavecito likes this.
  18. King

The true paleo diet is being practiced by a the Tsimane indigenous people, who live in the Bolivian Amazon.

They have the healthiest hearts in the world. Of Tsimane people over age 40, about 85 percent have no atherosclerosis. And nearly two-thirds over age 75 were apparently free of arterial plaque.

Interested in longevity? Tamad to read? Listen to the NPR podcast. ;)

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...00/who-has-the-healthiest-hearts-in-the-world

19. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

That was mouthful post. ;)

I just want to thank you for taking the time to document and share your experience, even if so few will ready it. What's important is you are reflecting on your journey, even as it continues. May you live longer than PhilMUG. :)

20. King

Your welcome. Talking about and getting others involved keeps me on tract.

I am not a nutritionist, dietician or have any sort of background in healthcare. My posts concerning nutrition does not constitute medical advice. I am simply sharing what I am doing and its resulting biomarkers like my weight loss, reduction in body fat %, increase in muscle mass and blood chemistry results. When I am not lazy I link to scholarly sources as supporting documents.

I use .gov, .edu. other peer reviewed and scholarly sources to select ingredients for my meals.

I do not "calorie count" in the traditional sense. I searched each ingredients and food products calorie counts. Surprisingly all foods that has the lowest calorie content or lowest glycemic index (GI) are almost all fresh plants. The only exception are potatoes (not kamote) regardless how it is cooked & prepared. White rice is a refined grain so I categorize it as refined food. Daily "dose" of white rice is linked to diabetes. So Sen Villar was correct in wanting to ban/limit unli white rice in light of the looming healthcare crisis millennial will suffer within the next 3 decades.

Foods with higher calorie counts tend to be animal product, processed food, refined food, junk food, fast food and any other food-like substances that came from a manufacturing plant, refinement plant, sugar mill, or laboratory.

My purpose of improving my nutrition is longevity and not simply aesthetics (maliit ang tiyan & I look good), endurance or fitness.

I want to avoid noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) that is equivalent to 70% of all deaths globally. NCDs are cardiovascular diseases, cancers, respiratory diseases, and diabetes. Tobacco use, physical inactivity, the harmful use of alcohol and unhealthy diets all increase the risk of dying from a NCD.

There are many ways to lose weight but they are not designed with longevity in mind. Like say Bangkok pills, meth, chemotherapy, famine & high protein/low carb diets.

I am trying to prevent my premature death as my goal is to live the beyond the year 2100.

104kg - 06/08/2017 - I have not weighed this light since April 2008.

I found a new use for “Reminders” in my iPhone.

All of us use “Reminders” to remind us of certain tasks that need to be done or appointments you have on a certain place or time.

In my case I modified each entry to also ask me if I am XXX kg of weight on that date.

Example:

On 01/11/2017 I set it to remind me to contact my telco about the iPhone 8. That is 12 weeks away. Knowing my current weight and future weight by then I modify the reminder to also include “Are you 92kg?”.

It takes a bit of work but if you are adamant about keeping a pace of 1kg/week (for men) and 0.5kg/week (for women) then this is a tool worth using.

[​IMG]

1kg of food - 04/08/2017 - This is my typical meal following the food plate above. It has less than 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 0.5g of salt.

My oil/fat & salt restriction is based on the minimum stipulated in the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet.

To make my food more flavorful I now upgraded to garlic salt. Every 2g of garlic salt contains 0.586g of salt for the brand I use. So I use a little over 1.71g a meal. I still use fresh garlic to enhance the taste further. For my weekly meal prep I use 36g of garlic salt.

To further control my salt the beans are bought dried rather than canned. Canned beans tend to be cooked with salt and removes my ability to control salt.

While the olive oil is 1/3rd cup per weekly meal prep. This complies with the 2 teaspoon per day limit of DASH diet.

You may have noticed it has no animal product. Simply put I had enough animal protein earlier that day when I ate out with friends. I think I ate a two piece chicken KFC value meal. I only eat animal product for the vitamin B12 and minority of protein and calcium.

So the rest of the meals of that day are a planned and balanced healthy vegan.

Per World Health Organization (WHO) and Harvard Medical School the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein is a modest 0.83 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight.

Assuming you dont eat any plants and only chicken here is how much chicken you will need to eat to hit your RDA for protein.

Chicken is reputed to have the highest protein content per weight. Every 100g of chicken breast is 31g of protein.

So if my target weight is 68kg then my protein should be a paltry 56.44g. That's 183g of chicken breast per day split over all the meals within 24 hours.

Shockingly small, right?

Ok, so to simplify computation and to eat for "pleasure" I up it to 1g of protein per kg of body weight.

So let us up it up to 68g. That's 220g of chicken breast per day split over all the meals within 24 hours.

Some may argue... "but I workout".... so lets double it to 2g of protein per kg of body weight.

So that's 136g. That's 440g of chicken breast per day split over all the meals within 24 hours.

My preference for animal product is solely sardines because it has the highest concentration of vitamin B12 of any source.

100g of sardine, canned in oil gives 148%.

So for every 24 hours you'd need about 68g of sardines a day. Of the 68g of sardines is 17g of protein.

The rest of my protein needs are derived from beans + brown rice, and other plant sources.

My cautiousness around animal products is because of this WHO report http://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/

#380 King, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    porkypork and Ghibli like this.