Coffee Machines

Discussion in 'Food' started by coffeelover, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

That changed my perception of barako forever.

rbenzon and hitme64 like this.
  2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Etymology or not it doesn’t really matter to me as long as that morning grind is favored with a nice cup of brewed coffee. Some brown sugar to set it right and no creamer. It just taints the coffee itself. Take that sip and you’re good for the day (add 2 more during the day of course)

3. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Yes, single origin whenever it's available. But no shame in blends, especially when the shop knows how to mix them up that it complements each other, easier on the pockets too.

4. C9

C9 Active Member

Thanks @rbenzon. A lot of the good Barako gets exported to Japan. I tried a barako sourced by Bean and Barley that tasted like grape juice. From what I heard, Barako (Liberica) used to be widespread in Batangas, but Nestle wanted huge amounts of coffee for their instant, so farmers shifted to Robusta.

Batangas is too low for Arabica, which needs to be at 2,000 feet minimum.

Sly is with El Union now, most likely the most successful coffee shop outside of the metro. In San Juan, La Union, 2000 cups on weekends reported recently, served mainly to weekenders from Manila.

porkypork, macdiver and rbenzon like this.
  5. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

OT: I once "dated" Sly's mom. I should stop by his coffee shop once, order coffee, not pay, and if he asks why, reply with, "I am your father." ;)

porkypork, ronjet and C9 like this.
  6. donsiapno

donsiapno Active Member

Just wondering if Charlie owns Yardstick in Legaspi Village? Planning to buy a Rocket Espresso from them.

7. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Don't think so.

8. Abie2

Abie2 New Member

Heey!

I would also like to ask the same question. I want to buy a great coffee machine for my home. I really Rancilio Silvia and Gaggia Classic by reviews, but I can't decide between the two. I read a page comparing the two but it would be better if someone could talk about their own experience about the machines. Thanks

9. Netskipper

Netskipper PhilMUG Addict Member

maybe my reply is too late but here goes.

i owned a Gaggia before. Great machine especially since I got it for a great price.

it was my first espresso machine and I did not have a proper place to set it so had to sell it.

later on I realized that I shouldve bought a high end grinder. I was using a braun burr grinder which produced inconsistent grounds which is a no no for espresso.

so yeah even before deciding the espresso machine, please set aside a budget for a good espresso grinder.

as for Gaggia or Rancilio, it depends but I find that their difference seem to be minimal. But if you’re going Gaggia, go with the classic pro since that model uses the professional steam wand. Also that model is made in Italy

macdiver likes this.
  10. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Any reviews about nespresso?

11. macxchange

macxchange Well-Known Member

for a quick fix espresso, nespresso does the job. I have the Pixie with the aeroccino and it was good. Good for those no frills
    quick espresso shots, cappuccino or latte. No training needed. Best of all, it's small and easy to maintain and operate. Not the best tasting espresso
    based coffee but it's good. There's also a wide selection of nespresso pods you can choose from. :)

Theus likes this.
  12. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

we have the Citiz at home and 2 Essenza Mini’s (in condo’s) for 1.5yrs now. Each with their own Aerocinno 3’s. Quick, no frills, good quality/ tasting coffee. We used to have Dolce Gusto, which though more convenient (cleaning & preparation), doesn’t come close to Nespresso’s quality.

we love how portable the Mini is. We take it with us on out of town trips. Online order of capsules & accessories is a plus.

13. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi folks. Need recommendations. Planning to buy a coffee machine for my mom. Already bought her a Dolce Gusto last year but she prefers the type that brews straight from the coffee beans not the pre-flavored capsules. She’s also 70 plus years old so preferably not so complicated to use. TIA.

14. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

We presently have the Dinamica ECAM350.75.S, if you don't need the milk dispenser, you can get the Dinamica ECAM 350.15.B

I think the ECAM 350.15.B is just a little over a thousand. Magnifica S ECAM 22.110.SB is even cheaper

Suggest you buy it from Tang's during their 12% rebate this Q4, a little haggling made us go home with a lot of freebies
    (2X STTOKE Ceramic Reusable Cup, 2X Latte Macchiato Double Wall Thermal Glasses, 1 Vacuum Coffee Canister, 2X Ice Trays and 4X Coffee Beans)

Sorry for the OT, we tried the Dolce Gusto twice - wife really hated the flavour, that's 2 machines gone

Nespresso is way better (it seems like the default in-room coffee machine during SG's Phase-2 as our room in Marriott and MBS had it)

leninmac likes this.
  15. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...simpler is better for your 70 year old mom. Suggest a French Press or a standard drip type coffee machine with Folgers ground coffee (decaf is safer) or similar.

gaol and leninmac like this.
  16. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

Just venturing into this, any recommendation for a machine that is 50k and below? Was initially eyeing the Breville barrista express :- https://www.breville.com.ph/espresso/the-barista-express

Still learning about coffee making, etc. Just usually made cold brew at home by buying arabica beans and putting it in my cold brew maker.

17. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I think its the same machine this guy is using.

Our office also has a professional espresso machine (for those with time and our interns)

I wanted to buy one since it's cheaper than the fully automatic machines (and I already have a grinder and milk frother - percolator days), but wife and daughter has no time to make coffee manually.

Quest4dgoodlife likes this.
  18. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

Hi.

Does your mom usually grinds her beans fresh? The best option is the simple coffee maker.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/coffee_makers/dgb-625bc/

Cuisinart DGB-625BC 12-Cup Grind & Brew Coffee Maker

• Automatically grinds whole beans before brewing
    • 24-hour fully programmable
    • 12-cup (5 ounces each) glass carafe
    • Brew Pause feature lets you enjoy a cup before brewing has finished
    • Adjustable auto-shutoff (0-4 hours)
    • Grind-off feature
    • 1 to 4-cup feature
    • Gold tone commercial style permanent filter
    • Charcoal water filter removes impurities
    • BPA Free
    • 220v
    So basically, press start and wait. A bit pricey for the grinder and other features.

leninmac likes this.
  19. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Actually researched how a French press works. I think it’s too manual for her. Gusto na nyang gumraduate sa whistling kettle. ;) What I’m looking is a coffeemaker that makes cappuccinos, lattees, etc. but easy to operate. I’ll check your recommendation. Thanks.

[ QUOTE="motoflux, post: 1545307, member: 32699"]Hi.

Does your mom usually grinds her beans fresh? The best option is the simple coffee maker.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/coffee_makers/dgb-625bc/

Cuisinart DGB-625BC 12-Cup Grind & Brew Coffee Maker

• Automatically grinds whole beans before brewing
      • 24-hour fully programmable
      • 12-cup (5 ounces each) glass carafe
      • Brew Pause feature lets you enjoy a cup before brewing has finished
      • Adjustable auto-shutoff (0-4 hours)
      • Grind-off feature
      • 1 to 4-cup feature
      • Gold tone commercial style permanent filter
      • Charcoal water filter removes impurities
      • BPA Free
      • 220v
    So basically, press start and wait. A bit pricey for the grinder and other features.

[/QUOTE]

20. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...then graduate her from Dolce Gusto to Nespresso classic or Nespresso Virtuo coffee machines for capu, latte, espresso etc. No-miss, no-mess, push button convenience and a wider selection of pods than Dolce. Of course, if you want complicated, there are many espresso making machines with all the bells and whistles with grinders, milk frothers and occasional descaling. Recommended brands are Gaggia, Breville or De Longhi.

leninmac likes this.