Apple Throttles iPhone with Old Batteries

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by suavecito, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Tentou

Tentou New Member

My iphone 6 plus was producing a blurry photos l. How much it will cost if i go to the repair service? Thanks

2. nwinter

nwinter Active Member

It's the other way around. If they found something wrong in addition to the standard battery replacement, they will charge you with the diagnostic fee to have your unit fixed.

For example, if the battery is bloated (specifically for iPhone 6 Plus), Power Mac will not give you the 1,500 battery replacement. Instead, they will offer you the 2K+ whole unit replacement fee + diagnostic fee (which is around 1K for iPhone 6 Plus). For this case, the total amount you will pay is 3K+ but the whole unit is replaced.

Another example is if they found water damage, Power Mac will recommend the whole unit be replaced (around 22K for iPhone 6 Plus) + diagnostic fee of 1K. They might already decline the battery replacement for this case though. You can probably still request Power Mac to have the battery replaced but they will most likely have to escalate this to Apple before proceeding.

3. nwinter

nwinter Active Member

Wrong thread.

But to quickly answer your question, there's a separate replacement program for the iSight camera of select iPhone 6 Plus devices (based on serial number). The replacement program specifically covers the case where the iSight camera may produce blurry photos/videos over time. If your phone is part of this recall, Apple will fix/replace the iSight camera free of charge. Just google "iSight Camera Replacement Program" to get more info.

4. rebiscoco

rebiscoco Active Member

UPDATE:

Got my phone back today.

I have 800php deposit when I left my phone at Switch. I paid 700php remaining balance.

Battery performance is back to 100% :)

Took 11 days to get my unit back

mauwrr and Ghibli like this.
  5. Paeng

Paeng Active Member

Which branch of Switch did you went? Thanks.

6. rebiscoco

rebiscoco Active Member

Alabang Town Center

mauwrr and Paeng like this.
  7. jomsjoms

jomsjoms Member

11days? Damn, ang tagal naman. Akala ko you can wait for the unit. What am I supposed to use during the 11 days?

8. rebiscoco

rebiscoco Active Member

Siguro pag may stock sila nung battery possible yung ganun?

9. gabmik

gabmik Member

Did you guys erase your iPhones before leaving them for the battery check and replacement? Second newbie question, can I restore the backup of iPhone 6 into iPhone5? Will use iPhone5 during the time the 6 is in the shop.

10. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

It should be ok. It should have the same iOS version though...or your target new phone should at least have a newer iOS

11. rebiscoco

rebiscoco Active Member

I erased my phone before I gave it to them.

I got a spare iPhone 5c which I used while waiting for my unit. Just logged in my apple ID and got my contacts, notes etc synced on my 5c. It's just a temporary phone for 7-10 days so having contacts synced is enough. Didn't have to restore backup all the apps/photos/settings etc. Just downloaded FB, Fb messenger, Gmail, and other basic apps. :)

12. gabmik

gabmik Member

bacchus_3 and rebiscoco thanks for the replies. Backed-up, set-up old iphone, about to erase and drop off phone in the shop. Thanks again!

13. iJav

iJav Active Member

Visited BTB Greenhills yesterday for the battery replacement program. They also charge the same P1500 like the others (charge inclusive of non-refundable P800 diagnostic fee) Based on my understanding after chatting with the support, they can diagnose the phone and replace the battery asap if it is avaiable (as long as it is within 10-3pm cutoff). If not, you can get your phone back and they will just call you once the battery is available. As mentioned in other post above, there is currently a shortage of replacement batteries for the plus phones so expect to wait a few weeks.

Re phones with batteries previously replaced, they mentined that as long as it was done by an authorized apple dealer, then they may still accept it under the battery replacement program. However, if it was done by a non-authorized 3rd party, it will be rejected.

Paeng likes this.
  14. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Inclusive or exclusive?

15. iJav

iJav Active Member

Inclusive sir... so you just add P700 once they confirm that you are eligible for the battery replacement.

potpot2 likes this.
  16. ignite

ignite Active Member

Availed of the iPhone battery replacement program from Beyond the Box GH. As of last Sunday they have avaible battery for the 6s. I brought my phone around 1030am and received it by 2pm.

Pay 700 for the non-refundable diagnostic fee, they will physically check the phone for any water/physical damage and run it through the software diagnostic. Then pay the 800 balance upon retrieval of the phone. They will run the diagnostic software again for you to checkl the battery health/cycle count before releasing the unit to you.

Hassle free process for me.

17. nomyaz05

nomyaz05 New Member

I have my 6S back from PowerMac MOA took them 7 days only to replace the battery.

How’s your battery so far? I dont see much change. I’m now at 34% after 3hrs and 34mins active use (LTE on, msgs, calls, minor browsing, no gaming)

When I got it last Sat I didnt ask them to show me the diagnostics again. I just took it at face value that they changed the battery.

Doesn’t look like the battery will last me a day.

18. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Used that battery app suggested here a few pages back. It said my battery needs to replaced.

So I saunter over to the neighborhood Apple store to have it checked, and they did confirm that my battery has hit 85% usage and that it's all downhill from there.

I had to leave my 6s with them and I got it back after 2.5 hours, all for a fee of AUD$39.00, about PhP1,600.00.

Nice!

19. Sabonis

Sabonis Active Member

Hey Mike, which store? CBD?

Did you notice an improvement in processing speed after the battery replacement?

20. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Kenneth @Sabonis, I brought it to the Apple Store in Chatswood. It took 2 hours because of the other people who came in before me. I would assume that waiting time in the CBD store would be much longer given that it's a bigger store in a highly dense part of Sydney, catering to both locals and tourists. The Apple staff said the actual replacement process including diagnostics would not take even 30 minutes.

My phone now runs "normally" and "as it should" but not faster than that. I also noticed none of the same lag that I felt this past week before I replaced it. Battery life also went down quickly this past week for some reason.

The Apple staff said once the usage rating hits 85%, the phone will quickly get worse until such time it won't even power up. Good thing I brought it in when I did.

Sabonis likes this.