Apple Expands Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program for 2009-2011 iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by topaz, Oct 14, 2012.

1. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

From Macrumors
    Apple Expands Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program for 2009-2011 iMacs

Apple yesterday expanded its iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program, significantly increasing the number of machines eligible under the program to include iMacs sold between October 2009 and July 2011 with 1 GB Seagate hard drives.Apple has determined that certain Seagate 1TB hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between October 2009 and July 2011.

Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) will replace affected hard drives free of charge.

Apple launched the program in July 2011, but at that time it covered only those machines sold between May 2011 and July 2011. Apple has apparently now determined that the issue extends further back in time than previously thought, and has now included machines sold as far back as October 2009.

[​IMG]
    The original program was originally valid for one year, scheduled to expire July 23, 2012, but as that deadline passed the company extended the program for an additional year. With the program now covering a number of other machines, some of which were sold as much as three years ago, Apple has again updated the coverage terms.The program covers affected iMacs for three years after the first retail sale of the unit or until April 12, 2013, whichever provides longer coverage for you. Apple will continue to evaluate service data and will provide further updates to this program as needed.
    This is not the first time Apple has had issues with Seagate hard drives in its products, as the first several generations of the MacBook had the potential to experience data losswhen the read/write heads on the Seagate drives failed prematurely, gouging the hard drive platter. Apple acknowledged the issue soon after it was first reported in late 2007, but waited over two years to launch a repair program to address the problem.

2. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

My unit is eligible for HDD replacement (although there's nothing wrong with it, I'll still have it replaced).

In Metro-Manila, the following Apple Premium Service Providers have been identified for servicing of your units.

3. yuck-o

yuck-o Active Member

Sucks for me, my late 2009 (bought march 2010) iMac's HD died a few months ago, had it repaired already. cost me around 7k+ to have it replaced.

4. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Hi yuck-o.
    I suggest you call Apple and explain your situation. They might reimburse you or something. I think it's worth a try.

5. eyemac

eyemac Active Member

my late 2009 27inch is eligible (bought March 2010), the HDD generates a "rumbling" sound during boot/startup and sometimes I have to press the power button a couple of times during powerup, plus the sporadic ball of death :(
    now it figures.
    Definitely needs service but for now, the process of backing up ALL data :(

EDIT : btw, would Time Machine be able to restore its condition prior HDD replacement?

#5 eyemac, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  6. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

7. yuck-o

yuck-o Active Member

Yey! Will contact apple asap. Thanks guys :)

8. jpatrickn

jpatrickn Active Member

Anybody got their eligible iMac's HD successfully replaced already?

Just came from PMC Service Center in Festival Mall and they advised me that it will take 2-3 weeks for the parts to arrive and my unit has to be with them while waiting.

I can't afford to leave my iMac with them for that long.

Hope someone can share their experience with this.

9. eyemac

eyemac Active Member

I share the same dilemma :( in as much as I want to keep my unit in tiptop condition, avail of the free service and prevent data loss w/o any warning, my iMac is my bread & butter for photo post-processing.
    I'm afraid I will have to part ways with it sooner or later temporarily for the better. I'm already imagining my self hugging my 27inch iMac going to PMC greenbelt (I still have the box but already discarded the styrofoams, well who would have thought...)

10. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

My 27inch iMac is late 2009 But I can't recall what month I got this. Is there a way to check the Month of purchase or should I just bring it to an Authorize service center and have them check it? Kind of heavy lugging around a 27incher. Good thin here is if they will change my HDD then at the same time I can have my screen replace for smudging. 2-in-1 trip :D

11. Jsnc

Jsnc Active Member

The Coconut battery app shows how old your Mac is.

12. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

uhm do imacs have built in batteries?

13. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Go to the link I posted earlier. Enter your serial number to see if your iMac is eligible.

14. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Just checked not eligible. :D

15. eyemac

eyemac Active Member

@gpo74 - just check from the Apple Website and input your unit's serial number to verify if it's qualified for the program. Then contact your favorite Apple service provider (where you intend to bring your unit for service) for arrangements.

16. Jsnc

Jsnc Active Member

Haha my bad. Sorry about that.

17. keberisms

keberisms New Member

Bought an iMac last Jan. 4, 2011. The serial says I'm also eligible for this program.
    Problem is, I just had my HD replaced last September at Digital Hub VMall [oh yez, prior to this announcement - got the email today]. It cost me around 13+k... :(

I can't contact the apple PH support number (1-800-1441-0234) regarding a refund.
    Tried apple support online, and scheduled them to call me on my mobile. *crosses fingers*

Anyone who's on the same boat?

18. cdt1

cdt1 Member

This afternoon I received an email that "you have an iMac with an affected 1TB Seagate hard drive. Apple will replace your hard drive with a new one, free of charge, under the iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program."

Has anyone else tried this replacement program? Can anyone please share their experience (process, which supplier/service center to go to amongst those listed, length of wait, etc.). Thanks in advance.

19. jpatrickn

jpatrickn Active Member

My HD just failed... Guess i have no choice but to bring it in and wait for two-three weeks for it to get repaired. I was hoping it wouldn't fail until the new iMacs came in.

20. yuck-o

yuck-o Active Member

I am, can't reach the hotline as well. Can you update this thread once apple contacts you? I dropped by switch makati to inquire regarding this and they said just bring the imac to them and they'll be the ones to talk to apple. Problem is they can't tell how long it would take to have it fixed. It depends on how soon apple can deliver the HDs, then it would take a day or two for them to install. Hassle :(