app to hide iphone sms preview?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by marks, Jun 19, 2008.

1. marks

marks Member

hi guys,

do you know of any iphone sms app that can hide the sms messages in the preview? when the phone is locked and someone messages, the name and message appears, id like to only have the name appear similar to how it looks like if you have many messages from multiple people (ie. name and number of messages).

so far im using pysl but it completely removes the pop-up preview, so i dont know who the message came from

mark

2. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

@marks, should have posted this in the iPhone subforum.

To answer your question, you don't need an app to do that. Go to Settings > General > Passcode Lock. there's a toggle button there for 'Show SMS Preview'. Turn it off. I'm on firmware 1.1.3 just for comparison, but I believe that option has been there since 1.0.2 HTH.

3. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Interesting question, marks. Although this should be under "iPhone". ;) My dad had the same issue before he sold his iPhone and settled (again) with his BlackBerry Pearl.

The Treo has the same issue with some users, especially those with nosy friends, partners, and co-workers. However, you can easily switch off this feature in the SMS menu to a more private one with the Treo. As for the iPhone, looks like bacchus_3 has already answered your question. :) I just wish it's more accessible within the SMS app and instead of having to go to Settings>General>Passcode Lock.

#3 johannes, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  4. marks

marks Member

hey guys,

thanks for the quick response...never knew it was under the settings since i dont set my lock with a passcode.

mark

5. bacchus_3

oh you should ;) you never know what prying eyes will see on your iphone...:D

6. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

yes, this is very helpful...

7. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

i heard there's a way using the Kate app, but it doesn't come free.

however, what if u do not wish to incorporate password lock and still want to hide the preview of the text?

i hope iPhone 2.0 fixes this "situation". but for the meantime, while we have 1.1.4, any body have an answer?huhu

8. bacchus_3

@chetiboy, nobody said you need to enable password lock for the settings to work. just try it out yourself :)