XBMC and AppleTV

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by LeoCastillo, Oct 13, 2013.

1. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

So I've been using my AppleTV (2nd Gen) installed with ATV Flash for a few years now. Been using the Infuse player (formerly Media player) and loving it: I play my videos wirelessly from my hard drives connected to my Airport Extreme. I've been using Airplay with it which is great. Been using it that way for a while and it's fantastic.

Now I just installed XBMC, but I actually don't know how to maximize it. Can anyone give an XBMC for ATV 101?

Many many thanks!

Leo

2. iDarwin

iDarwin Active Member

try visiting xbmchub.com for all your video streaming needs. They have a quick installer to get you started.

3. ifan18

ifan18 Member

me too, i've just started using xbmc, i quite like it :)
    i think you can also use airplay with it...
    i'm still exploring it too :)

4. iJav

iJav Active Member

I also use xbmchub to install the xbmc and add-ons. That was a while back though so I am not sure of any new updates. XBMC is a bit slow so suggest you make use of skins that are not too heavy (e.g. Quartz).

5. pels_17

pels_17 Well-Known Member

While I want to learn more about XBMC, I want to know first if it involves jailbreaking of the Apple TV? Is jailbreaking FOR ATV allowed in PhilMUG? Thanks.

6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmmm.....since 2008, Apple TV hacks and third party add-ons have been tolerated because iTunes content (US iTunes) requires workaround for the PH ATV community (IGC and a fake US address). i see no harm until APPL makes it officially available here.

7. pels_17

Thanks for clearing that out, now what is XBMC? What versions of ATV's can we install XBMC?

8. alanis_junkie

alanis_junkie Well-Known Member

^ I was able to install XBMC on an apple tv first gen (the one with HDD inside). Apple TV 2 can also be jailbroken. Apple TV 3 on the other hand, cannot be jailbroken. That's the reason apple tv 2 is being sold at a higher price than ATV 3.

9. Bogey

Bogey Member

I use FC SeasonPAss. It's a tethered jailbreak. Google it. I've been using it for 3 months now.

10. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

ot: mmm.....sorry @pels, but I prefer to keep my 2008 ATV virgin. No third party/unofficial hacks for me. The reason why I fell in love with the Apple TV is because of its simplicity and ease of use. I don't want to be bothered with setting up non-Apple stuff. Everthing that I need is in iTunes already.

11. judoka03g

judoka03g Member

@rayoin, I don't think it's possible to have xbmc on the atv without jailbreaking first.

I myself use plex on an atv instead of xbmc. Both are very similar and there are lots of discussions on the web on which of the two is the better one. I think, though, that it's just a matter of preference. Anyway.

I have plex setup on my Mac mini with all my media stored on an external drive connected via USB. On initial setup, plex automatically scraped my media then downloaded poster, genres, write-ups etc. Once setup, Plex on my mini acts as a server, allowing for 24/7 access to my media library for the plex apps on my atv and other ios devices that are on the same wifi network.

I believe XMBC works in the same way.

12. retsckor

retsckor Member

I use XMBC with the 1st gen apple TV. swapped out the Wifi card for a crystal HD card to get 1080P running on the old model. it has been working flawlessly. Im using the CRYSTALBUNTU XBMC install..

In order to Maximize XMBC, you will need to install (using the fusion installer, or by SSH) different apps that stream Movies, Tv series, live sports, etc.. one of the most popular that i always use is 1channel, and NAVI-x. 1channel contains movies, and different tv series updated as soon as an episode is aired in the US... navi-x contains live TV channels from the US, and from all parts of the world. theres a whole lot more you can do.. visit the xbmchub website.

for plex, i use a program called PLEXBMC. its an add on as well that lets me stream from my plexmedia server.

if you can find the 1st gen at a good price, invest in 1. add the crystal HD card and an IDE-SATA converter. i have upgraded my apple tvs hard drive to a 1 terabyte drive as well. never looking back!

13. pels_17

I read that KODI (XBMC) will stop supporting Apple TV 1 and 2 soon, so I got the Amazon Fire TV stick instead.