Unauthorized Screen Sharing?

Discussion in 'General macOS and Apps' started by elbert, Dec 6, 2018.

1. elbert

elbert Active Member

Yesterday, as I was trying to wake my MacBook, I got this message in the login screen:

"Unlocking with Apple watch is not available while your screen is being shared"

Yes, I have set my MacBook to unlock with my Apple Watch, and I was completely certain that in System Preferences > Sharing, my Screen Sharing was set to OFF (always has been).

In my panic, I immediately logged in with my computer password and then switched off Wi-Fi from the menu bar.

That's when I noticed the Screen Sharing icon in the menu bar, but when I tried to click on it, it disappeared (presumable because I disconnected from the network).

My questions:
    1. is there a log wherein I can see who shared my screen?
    2. is it even possible to share the screen of a computer that has been locked and in sleep (lid closed)?
    3. has my security been compromised?
    4. what steps should I take now?

TIA.

2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

for number 2 - is it even possible to share the screen of a computer that has been locked and in sleep (lid closed)?

for Windows yes, we used to have this App (forgot the name as I seldom used it) where we can log-in to our office PCs even if the device was sleeping...

IT decided to block the App as some employees were logging in using any PC and forgetting to log-off.

3. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

3 - If you entered sensitive information while the screen was shared, maybe. Although, passwords are usually covered with an asterisk to prevent people from reading it.

4 - Just to be absolutely sure, change any password you entered during the screen sharing.

4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm...for 3 and 4:

1. Change your Apple ID password immediately and if 2FA or two-factor authentication is not enabled, enable it.

2. Revoke all priveleges in your home or office Wifi. Change your network password and begin the process again.

3. Use mesh wifi so you can monitor which devices are connected to your wifi network.

4. Use VPN full time, so you can enjoy the protection of end-to-end encryption, even for non-https websites. Eliminates man-in-the-middle attacks even if you are using public wifi. All they will see is jibberish.

5. I use mobile data connection when outside to access the web from my MacBook. I really mistrust public wifi, which is a major reason why I opted for the China iPhone Xs Max with dual nano/nano sim (allows me to leverage the power and reach of two network since coverage from either network can be spotty depending on location. If I have to use public wifi, I always look if GoWifi (paid version) is available. Not pnly is it faster, I feel it is more secure.

Just covering all the bases, just in case someone was able to break into your home or office wifi and access not only your MacBook but your other devices (highly unlikely but still possible).

#4 raypin, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    greta87 likes this.
  5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

We can find out who logged on to your MacBook, shared your screen, or change the settings and preferences...doing that will answer the rest of your questions

ronjet, Dekra, greta87 and 2 others like this.
  6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...the cavalry has arrived! Yeah...digital forensics is the surefire way to find out who the rat is, if there is one.......

#6 raypin, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  7. Juice

Supporter

Not an expert, but I did attend an electronics fraud walk in seminar in insurance. I learned that the number one suspect in digital espionage is the spouse . :LOL:

Maybe checking if it's only pizza he's cooking. ;)

8. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Dang, I left my laptop on the whole day...:rolleyes:

9. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Beat me to it. :LOL:

hitme64 likes this.
  10. Dipp

Dipp Active Member

Hi @elbert .

At that time [unlocking via apple watch], was your mac's Internet sharing enabled?

11. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Check if you have the "back to my mac" feature enabled, and if screen sharing is enabled.

12. Juice

Supporter

Even if someone tried to connect to your Mac, they still need to log in to see the screen. But, again, changing the password is always a good idea.