Samsung Galaxy S8

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by gestapo, Feb 24, 2017.

1. vic2rp

vic2rp Active Member

After 9 years of using iPhone, I will be switching to Android. I can't afford the highest end iPhone 7 Plus anymore. Hahaha.
    Reserved last Saturday and my S8+ will arrive on May 5.
    Last night, I watched youtube videos of switchers. Their experiences are half positive and half negative.
    Now I'm having second thought. Haha. Wish me luck. On the bright side, I get to learn Android OS.

Sunil_K likes this.
  2. ponpon

ponpon Active Member

DW has UAG Pathfinder but only in black (checked Shang and SM Aura branch). Spigen and Otterbox kiosks already have cases for S8 and S8+. Ordered Ringke Slim and Dmax Armor full screen protector from Tekki Hub.

For TGs, most reviews are not good because the adhesive is mostly on the edges only and this causes the other parts of the screen to be unresponsive. I saw one TG review via youtube where you apply the adhesive on the phone screen (full screen adhesive) during installation but I can't remember the brand.

I'm just waiting for my unit to be delivered on Friday (according to Globe), hopefully no delays on the delivery since I will be in the province this weekend.

3. ponpon

ponpon Active Member

Been switching between iOS and Android for the past few years - honestly, the only things that I miss with iOS are the Activator (JB app), and the browser functionality where you just tap on the status bar if you want to go to the top of the page that you are currently browsing. Not sure if there is a 3rd party browser for android that offers this functionality.

With the S8, hopefully I will not miss the seamless phone unlocking procedure, I've been used to just pressing the home button and being taken to the home screen in a split second.

Apps normally run better on iOS because, as we all know, iOS and iPhone/iPad were designed for each other. But for me, the difference on this area is negligible.

vic2rp likes this.
  4. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

late post yesterdays blue carpet. got my S8+ plus discount on the starter kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jhonas015, Sunil_K, Kiko and 2 others like this.
  5. jetan

its included in the starter kit 20% off at 2860.

6. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I find it strange that SG Telcos are presently pushing our (and my wife's) company to upgrade hand phones...

Sadly, their only offering the S7 and iPhone 7... I feel sorry for those who have no choice but to have their phones changed...

7. jetan

[​IMG]

General Release today for pre-order units.

Pupkin likes this.
  8. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

Got mine yesterday via lbc, preordered via lazada because there were no more units available via preorders at the samsung stores. ordered a ringke jellycase which fits nicely. Unfortunately I cnt get hold of a screen protector yet. Bought a wireless charger a year ago a note 7 so ill just use that.

9. jillsingian

jillsingian Active Member

Extremely impressed with the S8+. Also appreciate Samsung providing adaptors for the micro and regular USB :)

jcool likes this.
  10. ponpon

ponpon Active Member

Does anyone know which Samsung store has stocks of the Alcantara case (dark grey) for S8+? Megamall and Shang branches only have the test unit left. SM Aura has no stocks at all. TIA

11. Pupkin

Pupkin Well-Known Member

Try SM manila they have stocks of all colors and variant.
    Just got my S8+

ponpon likes this.
  12. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

I don't know if its just me, it seems that the battery discharges faster after the phone foftware update. batt was 98% and dropped to 78%in 6 hours while I was asleep. Screen was at fhd,always on feature on,wifi bluetooth on, gps nfc off. Battery saving feature of|f.This has always been my settings with oth'r android phones.

13. Pupkin

Pupkin Well-Known Member

That's not normal Sir judging by my experience.

14. Pupkin

Pupkin Well-Known Member

IMG_2436.JPG

Originally, I prefer the regular S8..
    But suddenly had a change of heart when i spent some time with it in Samsung concept store.
    "I hold it for about 15 minutes " and decided the S8+ is better for me. Although the smaller S8 has enough screen size, It felt small somehow.
    Maybe coming to bigger phones like the S7 edge, Oneplus 3t and the iPhone 7 plus i got used to bigger build.

Still can't get enough of the iris scanner.
    Every time i unlocked the phone I'm still amazed.
    Thank goodness for that because the finger print sensor placement was so awkward i think that i will eventually drop my phone if i keep using it.

Speaking from my own experience.
    Now the dilemma is this.
    Every single time I switched Phones, from iOS to Android. I ended up coming back to iPhone again.
    I really don't exactly know why.
    Will I end up being with the iPhone again?
    I don't know.
    Thank goodness my wife has iPhone so if need a quick comparison i can do that.
    But for now i think Samsung win me over.
    Definitely will not skip the iPhone 8. lol

#114 Pupkin, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    shootertwist likes this.
  15. jetan

as always when new iPhones and Galaxy S releases.

Pupkin likes this.
  16. ponpon

ponpon Active Member

Thanks sir for the tip. Will try nearby branches first, SM Manila is too far from where i live. :)

That's not normal sir - I am on quad HD mode, did not bother to check my battery saving settings. What I did was schedule the AOD to be inactive when I sleep - normally 3am-9am. I even leave the wifi on when I sleep but my battery does not drain that much. Try uninstalling the most recent apps that you downloaded, if this does not work you might need to reset your phone.

Good thing iris scanner works good for you, I tried it and the experience is still better if you just press the home button (on iPhone, and old Galaxy phones) and you'll be taken to the home screen in an instant.

Using the fingerprint scanner on the S8 is not easy due to its position but I think a case with a separate opening for the sensor will solve this - I tried alcantara case and unlocking via fingerprint scanner is a lot easier. Still waiting for the dark grey Alacantara to become available, or maybe the UAG pathfinder in rust color.

Kiko likes this.
  17. Pupkin

Pupkin Well-Known Member

Since many of us has already received our new Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+.
    I wonder what color did you choose?
    I chose the Midnight Black.

jillsingian likes this.
  18. jillsingian

jillsingian Active Member

Chose the purple orchid color... So happy with the split screen function

#118 jillsingian, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Pupkin likes this.
  19. house_rn

house_rn Member

Pre ordered with globe shang and still waiting.... Grrrrr

20. ivin

ivin Active Member

Its worth the wait haha. My globe unit arrived exactly as scheduled even though im in davao. Good service on their end :)

house_rn likes this.