Polio Vaccine Certification for all travellers in and out of PHilippines

Discussion in 'Travel' started by dasaint, Oct 10, 2019.

1. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Got a hold of Polio Vaccine for adults after some running around but supply is short. I will have my shots tomorrow.

2. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

So we already have a vaccine now for adults?

3. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

The polio vaccine comes in two forms, either the orally administered (OPV) - the commonly used variant in the Philippines or the inactivated form (IPV) which is administered via injection and is the only approved form used in the U.S. The OPV consist of 3 doses whereas the IPV consist of 4 doses, in any case, either of these doses are routinely completed during childhood and can confer lifelong immunity from the polio virus. The reason why the polio vaccine is not routinely done during adulthood because it is very common among most adults that they were already vaccinated during their childhood. If you were born in a hospital with an OB-Gyne, chances are whichever assigned doctor handing you as an infant or child, the pediatrician may have given you the immunization already as a part of the package.

ronjet likes this.
  4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Those who have had their shots during childhood need only to secure a certification, and have no need for further vaccination. This is true for us who were born in the 1950s until 1980s when polio vaccination was mandatory for schoolchildren from all walks of life. The latter part years until the present would depend on the hospitals and clinics that provided the vaccine as part of the immunization process. If we are to believe the DOH, 98% of Filipinos were inoculated for polio, so that includes you and me and almost everyone else.

Besides, as adults, to get your polio vaccine now in the event you are part of the 2% that didn’t would have very little effect on contracting same, this according to DOH. Their target is for the millions of children now who need vaccination because most hospitals, clinics and schools stopped the process during the 25-year span that polio was considered eradicated, well, until now.

ronjet likes this.
  5. dasaint

I think the challenge is proving to the immigration officers that you have been vaccinated without an immunization card.
    Question is would a doctor issue you one if he or she was not the one who administered the dose. That's the quandary I find myself in.

Lucky those who kept their records.

ronjet likes this.
  6. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

I remember taking those oral polio cubes way way way back in grade school. I doubt if my grade school alma mater will have kept the records of all the students who got vaccinated at that time. So the question is, in securing a DOH/government certification, what proof can I present? Shouldn't my birth certificate be enough--that i was already born during the time of mandatory vaccination?

ronjet, Godfather and raypin like this.
  7. dasaint

8. frequenzy

frequenzy Active Member

9. Ghibli

Get a Medical certificate from a physician that you were vaccinated. The physician will then either re-vaccinate you (which is entirely a waste if you were previously vaccinated) or simply provide you the certificate if you can present sufficient evidence that you had prior polio vaccination.

10. dasaint

Got thru DOH Polio Vaccine is free. You pay P300 for the International Vaccination Certificate. If you have a previous vaccination by a private MD , He or She can issue a vaccination certificate and you can present that to BOQ for issuance of the international vaccination certificate as long as the following details are given: type of vaccine, lot #, name of physician and name of the facility where the patient was vaccinated

ronjet, raypin and Ghibli like this.
  11. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

Which office of the DOH? They have a number of offices for different things

12. hitme64

Actually I had to ask a doctor at DOH what details to input in Lot No. of Vaccine and Name of Physician and Facility where Vaccinated, because 1) I got the OPV in 1974 and how the hell would I know what lot number it was, and 2) I got the vaccine at my elementary school during recess as administered by the school nurse whose name I cannot anymore remember, so would that do? He told me he will get back to me after conferring with his boss or someone higher than he is (and he’s an Assistant Secretary, for heaven’s sake). This was this morning. He hasn’t followed me up yet. Moron.

Update: My wife called because her sister called her saying the same details needed for the IVCs. And she also acknowledged that it was stupid to ask older people i.e. those born in the 60s and 70s to remember these details. But we still don’t have the IVCs. Morons.

Mykolant, gaol, ronjet and 1 other person like this.
  13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...according to the WHO, there is a shortage of polio whatever worldwide. The advisory I read says that even if the DOH mandates polio vaccination for Filipinos traveling abroad, there simply isn’t enough supply to go around. So, are they going to say wait until we have enough then you can travel abroad.

F....morons. :LOL::mad:

Juice, ronjet and hitme64 like this.
  14. hitme64

It’s the same knee-jerk reaction that comes when something suddenly jars their senses, like the monstrosity every day we expect in traffic or the fact that a high ranking police official can lie through his teeth and smirk about it. These advisories were less thought of and studied before publication. My wife has been with WHO for two decades and says there is no need for this and there was no advice given by WHO to issue such an advisory. So it’s that fucktard Duque and his cohorts who thought of this. Plainly they may be scratching their balls thinking now how the hell does one find out the details of their vaccination 30-40 years ago.

15. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

hi sir, you got these two certificates in just 2 days?

This will create chaos in the airport immigration.

16. dasaint

Bureau of Quarantine is located behind Manila Hotel. Monday to Friday 8AM to 5PM.

17. dasaint

Right now sir it is not yet mandatory so no worries yet. It is the country of your destination you have to ask. However I am not into uncertainties.
    If I can afford an iPad, P300 is worth the piece of mind as I travel often.

#37 dasaint, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    wingatu and ronjet like this.
  18. hitme64

It isn't the WHO that decides what is to be done but our DOH, whose advisory is now under scrutiny because those hotlines they have are ringing like crazy.

FWIW, the sentiment at DOH is that the advisory is not mandatory for Pinoy travelers going out of country. But foreign tourists, expats coming to the country, and Pinoy immigrants spending more than four weeks in country should be able to show proof that they have had polio vaccinations from their places of origin.

19. Ghibli

Is the International Vaccination Certificate issued to you like this?

[​IMG]

20. dasaint

Both a private MD vaccine card as I also take annual flu vaccines and a Carte Jaune by BOQ .BOQ . is pretty efficient.

Ghibli likes this.