Need advise for RAM upgrade for iMAC 5k

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Koto, Apr 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Koto

Koto New Member

Hi! I just joined Philmug today and trying to make myself familiar on the forums. If there's a similar thread about this matter, i hope someone can link the thread. Thanks!

I recently ordered a 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display with the following configuration:
    • 4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
    • 8GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 4GB
    • 512GB Flash Storage
    • AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory
    • Magic Mouse 2
    • Magic Keyboard (English) & User’s Guide (English)
    • Accessory Kit
    It cost me ₱ 153,990.00 on Apple Store online.

This will be my first iMac since i am a long time macbookpro user and never upgraded the memory of my 2 previous units. I have learned that it will save me a lot of money if i do my own ram upgrade. I found this product > http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/1867DDR3S32S/ online thru blogs and youtube tutorials. I am upgrading from 8gb to 32 gb of ram. The total price of this OWC 32gb is 199usd and i have no idea if there is any extra or hidden fees for taxes , customs etc.

Is there any better and cheaper brand that i can purchase and also available in Metromanila? Is OWC a good choice?

2. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

OWC seems ok. They've been in the Mac upgrade business for a long time, plus the lifetime warranty is an attractive option.

Check out the AHTN Tariff Code for computer parts. According to the table, computers and computer parts are levied a tariff of 0%. You will definitely be charged the required P100 postal fee, and possibly the tax for shipping charges. Not much actually.

Ghibli and Koto like this.
  3. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

...or, you could take the El Cheapo route and shop around the computer stores in Gilmore.

Just take note of the chip model number of the RAM you want to be sure you get the right kind and shop around for the best price. You can find really inexpensive chips there for just a fraction of what the RAM costs at bigger stores or abroad, and you don't have to pay any custom or shipping fees, in exchange for a little legwork. You can easily upgrade your iMac to 32GB. Just make sure you have a warranty in case you get saddled with lemons.

I did that to upgrade my 27" iMac from 4GB to 16GB three years ago, and I haven't looked back. Pretty happy with my savings too.

Ghibli and Koto like this.
  4. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

I ordered a 32GB kit from Louie last November 2015 for our iMac 5k. It's around 10,450 with VAT. Brand is GSkill 1866 DDR3L.

He owns Ayos Computer. Call or text 09178098784.

Koto likes this.
  5. Koto

Koto New Member

Thanks for suggestions! I just ordered [32.0GB (4x 8GB) PC3-14900 DDR3 1867MHz SO-DIMM 204 Pin CL11 Memory Upgrade Kit for 2015 (Late) iMac 27" w/ Retina 5K models and PCs which utilize PC3-14900 SO-DIMM. OWC Lifetime Advance Replacement Limited Warranty.] on their website today. I tried the tax calculator at the custom's website and i got Php 1,812.53 on my Php 10,442.40 purchase. I am not very sure if that is the correct tax/amount that i have to pay and also don't know how to settle it. I am wondering DHL will ask for the tax payment on delivery..bahala na si batman ;) I am expecting the OWC on the 13th of May and the imac on the 19th. I can't wait. Thanks again for all the replies.

Sunil_K likes this.
  6. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Yup, DHL will advise you when the items arrive. You'll be told to be ready with whatever amount is levied on your shipment. You can pay to DHL at the time of delivery.

7. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

G.Skill is a good brand and based on my experience using this brand of RAM for my Macs, never had problems with them for the past 7 years.

I ordered a couple of 16GB kits from Louie - for 8K. - he gave me a discount since I ordered 2 kits - a single kit is Php 4,250.

8. hydroxycut

hydroxycut New Member

Hi Sir Cybersniper,

Will there be a performance difference between the G.Skill 1866 compared to the original RAM with 1867?

Hi Koto,

Would it be possible to sell your old 2x4GB RAM to me if you are not using it anymore? :) I got the same specs as yours so I'm planning to add another 8GB to make it 16GB if possible.

Thanks

9. cybersniper

No one made RAMs with speeds of 1867Mhz. 1866Mhz is the standard (that includes the stock RAM sticks). It's just the system that reads it 1867Mhz (it rounds it off). - mine does the same.

10. infiniteloop

infiniteloop Active Member

I have a question, will this work on iMac 5k 2014? Top ram is my current ram. bottom rams are the models Im planning to buy. thanks

[​IMG]

11. cybersniper

^It seems that although they have the same clock speeds, they've got different timings, different chips, different brands. So I couldn't tell. If I were you bro, I'd invest in a brand new kit with the same specs as your stock RAMs.

12. Koto

Koto New Member

Hello again! I joined and posted here in Philmug last year to seek advise for a memory upgrade. I went for OWC 32.0GB (4x 8GB) PC3-14900 DDR3 1867MHz and it worked really well with my iMac 27in 5k......I mean, my *late iMac 5K....

I got my unit on May 2016 and upgraded the ram before the 1st start up. Everything worked like a charm until October 2016, that was 5 months after the purchased, I noticed a faint dark stain on both left and right lower corner of the screen.

IMG_6808.jpg IMG_6812.jpg

I contacted Apple and demanded a replacement. My unit was still on warranty and they were offering a repair. I refused and told them that "you only repair a broken item. My unit is defective and not broken" . They finally granted my request but in a condition that they can deliver the replacement only in Singapore that i have to shoulder the shipping to Manila. I argued with them for days for ruining my work schedules and finances and still can't do a courtesy of delivering the replacement on my door, like what they did when I ordered it at apple.com. We ended settling for a full refund. It was a very stressful experience.

It was my 3rd apple computer but this time i got unlucky that I got a defective unit. I was planning to wait and get the updated iMac 2017 but now I finally decided to switch to PC. Now my poor OWC 32GB is homeless .
    IMG_7880.jpg

*32.0GB (4x 8GB) PC3-14900 DDR3 1867MHz SO-DIMM 204 Pin CL11 Memory Upgrade Kit for 2015 (Late) iMac 27" w/ Retina 5K models and PCs which utilize PC3-14900 SO-DIMM. OWC Lifetime Advance Replacement Limited Warranty.*

edited: I've read the forum rules and it looks like I am not yet allowed to sell and it should be on marketplace forum. I'm sorry again.

(Dear Admin, if selling is forbidden in this forum, kindly delete my post or message me to edit. Please excuse me for not reading the terms of services)

Attached Files:

#12 Koto, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  13. cybersniper

^I suppose by using the term "defective", you're trying to say that you got a "lemon" unit?

You bought it May 2016 but only noticed it after 5 months (October). IMO, your unit was not a lemon. Otherwise, it would have been there by the time you bought it... or at least appeared in a matter of weeks. There are factors that could've caused it. ex. dirty/dusty environment and/or if you or someone else using the iMac smokes. - and if at least one of these is true, then the unit got "broken" because of this.

Did you ask them what the process might be? - replacing the whole screen is a lot easier and quicker than "repairing" it (i.e. cleaning it). Specially that your unit's screen is an "assembly" - the glass is built in with the display.

14. Koto

Koto New Member

^ A screen burn on a P153,000.- 5 month old - iMac 5k is unacceptable and yes, I believe it was a lemon unit. I do not live in a "class 100 clean room" but we normally clean my place like normal people do. Environmental factor is irrelevant since I do not live in a mining town.

Again, I didn't like the idea of them fixing the computer or replacing the screen. I demanded a replacement of the iMac and Apple granted my request but they were not courteous enough to deliver the unit to my place so we ended in a full refund option. I already got my money back and they gave me a sorry gift.

My initial plan was to wait for the update of the iMac to buy but I've finally decided to switch to PC. I am going to build my first PC.

My 1st computer was a mac and that defective iMac was my 3rd macintosh computer. I still have my old 2010 mbp which is still capable of CS6 work. Quality control of Apple is bad at the moment and I can't afford to invest my time and money again to an unreliable product.

#14 Koto, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    leigh likes this.
  15. leigh

leigh New Member

Hi Sir KOTO,

Good Day!

If you were to sell those units, may I know how much will it cost?
    Interested buyer here..

Thank you!