Cannot Connect to Personal Hotspot (iPad Mini Retina WiFi to iPhone 5)

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by textguru, Dec 31, 2013.

1. textguru

textguru Active Member

HNY,

Just bought iPad Mini with Retina (WiFi Only) during opening week and found difficulty connecting to my iPhone 5 Personal Hotspot Wifi. My iPhone 3Gs, 4 and 4s connects fine, only the iPad is not working. Not sure if this is a known issue. Already reset the network settings and still having issues.

2. erizevet

erizevet Member

sir, please try to connect your ipad to your ip5s when your ip5s is still on the personal hotspot window.. ü

3. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

Just keep toggling the wifi button of your ipad until it sees your IP5. What I usually do just to be sure is to turn off both the ip5 hotspot & the iPad wifi, once they're both off, turn on the hotspot first, & then after a few seconds, turn on the wifi of the iPad. In my case, it's been a surefire method that the idevices will see & communicate with each other.

4. textguru

textguru Active Member

I can see the Personal Hotspot SID but when i wnter the password, it cannot connect. As I said, other iPhone units can connect to the PHS, only the iPad Mini cannot

5. erizevet

erizevet Member

have you tried my suggestion above?

6. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

or force restart both iphone and ipad (press home and sleep button simultaneously)

7. greta87

When this happens, I do the same procedure. It works every time whether it's the iPad, MBA or MBP for me.

8. erizevet

erizevet Member

hi greta, try my suggestion i think it works 100% of the time..
    for testing purposes try connecting to hotspot when your hotspot device is not on the personal hotspot window then try again connecting to hotspot when your device is on personal hotspot window

9. greta87

^ thanks but I think you directed your suggestion to the wrong person. He he. I'm not the OP. :)

10. erizevet

erizevet Member

it is for you, you said that you always turn off/on when the devices doesnt see each other..

11. greta87

Ok thanks. But I think your suggestion doesn't apply to me anymore since as I mentioned, sometimes the idevices don't/ can't see each other regardless of what window you're looking at anymore. & when I say that, I, of course, refer to the fact that I've already done that hotspot window thing that you're suggesting. Besides, I have multiple Apple devices that have their own peculiar quirks with regard to connecting with an iPhone hotspot, whether it was with my old iPhones or its current iteration, & the best solution for me so far has been the toggling thing which has worked for me 100% of the time, regardless of whatever Apple device, iMac, MBP, MBA, iPod or IPad that I need connected. Don't get me wrong,I appreciate the suggestion, except that the remedy to whatever issues I have with the hotspot (which I discovered through the help of fellow Philmuggers by the way) has gone beyond what you have suggested to me as a solution, :).

12. erizevet

erizevet Member

ok, np. that was long ü

13. ronjeremy

ronjeremy Member

just reset your network settings,both the ipad and iphone.

14. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

try to "Forget" the hotspot network from your ipad, then re-connect to the hotspot and re-enter your password. sometimes changing passwords works for me too.

15. textguru

textguru Active Member

thanks guys for your help. Reset Network Settings on the iPad Mini RD helps Personal Hotspot connection to my iPhone 5 worked.

Mods, please close this thread.

16. phonephone

phonephone Member

The personal hotspot of the ipad mini retina always stops whenever i lock the screen of the ipad and the iphone. Is there a fix to this? Besides bluetooth?