Beyond the Box May 2018 Open Box Sale-Round 2!

Discussion in 'Beyond The Box' started by Lana of Beyond the Box, May 12, 2018.

1. triggerbokie

triggerbokie Member

maybe they could update the list as of sunday night.

2. Lana of Beyond the Box

Lana of Beyond the Box Well-Known Member

This is the updated list as of May 23, 2018. Thank you!

WhatsApp Image 2018-05-23 at 1.47.45 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-05-23 at 1.47.46 PM.jpeg

ronnel0918 likes this.
  3. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

That 15inc ear;y 2013 is mighty tempting

4. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi Lana, i was one who bought an iPhone 7+ 32gb from the list first posted here a week ago. I just noticed that the price you posted today was significantly lower than the one i purchased last week. Can you please PM me as to why is that so? Cheers

5. yehey9

yehey9 PhilMUG Addict Member

not sure but i think i saw those. those units does not have any accessories with it, no lightning, no usb charger, just the unit.
    They are also demo units, so you will get free pre-made scratches. haha

6. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

I got a demo 7+ with bit of micro scratches on the glass and no earphones. Warranty expring this May 30 too.

7. snipes

snipes Active Member

A lot of those iPads, iPhones and Macs were discontinued more than 12 months ago. They should really put them up on sale within 6 months of discontinuation.

I will not do a point by point comparison on all models but mention the most glaring of overpricing.

An example is the Mac mini Late 2009. It has a Core 2 Duo in an age when Core i9 is stop end. It has a SuperDrive (DVD writer), Firewire and USB 2.0 That specific Mac mini was introduced on 20 October 2009 (more than 8 years, 7 months ago) and discontinued in 15 June 2010 (more than 7 years, 11 months ago). They're asking P30,100?

On eBay the late 2009 Mac mini goes for ~$100.

The current baseline Mac mini is being sold on Apple.com for P24,990 while at BHPhoto is being sold at $399. That has no SuperDrive (DVD writer), Firewire and USB 2.0. Instead it is smaller as it has no more DVD writer, swaps out Firewire & USB 2.0 for Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.0.

iPad Air WiFi 16GB goes for ~$125 on eBay. They're asking for P12,600? It was introduced 22 October 2013 (more than 4 years, 7 months ago) and discontinued 21 March 2016 (more than 2 years, 2 months ago)

Macbook Pro 15" Early 2011 being offered at P46,0000. was introduced more than 7 years, 3 months ago and discontinued more than 6 years, 7 months ago. It has a SuperDrive (DVD writer), Firewire and USB 2.0.

On eBay it goes for ~$400.

The Macbook Air, cheapest Mac notebook, is P53,990.

Their inventory management is bad for having dead stock on hand after more than 8 years.

#27 snipes, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    mosaka, pandecoco, h2obaby and 2 others like this.
  8. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Yer! Was wondering if its open box or demo unit? Uhmm do you have an idea sir?

9. Lana of Beyond the Box

Hi, snipes.

Thank you for your feedback.

yehey9 likes this.
  10. anwardgr81

anwardgr81 New Member

Any imac(s) available?

11. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

some years back they used to have really good prices for clearance items. they had sales super regularly and there was always something that entices me from the price list. i think they're still figuring things out after all the management changes and employee issues they've had. hopefully it gets better in the future, but i'm happy that they're starting to engage our community again. certainly better than nothing :)

ronjet likes this.
  12. snipes

snipes Active Member

Regardless of their internal problems and as customers we frankly dont care as we only want to buy from them. My point is sell those items before they become stale

Like that Mac mini. That should have been sold before January 2011 at the price they are asking for in May 2018.

13. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

well, that's the beauty of capitalism right? wallets speak louder than words. :)

14. yehey9

yehey9 PhilMUG Addict Member

Pag walang sale, galit; pag may sale galit pa din.

sgsia, triggerbokie, gabo27 and 8 others like this.
  15. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Was interested on getting that iPhone 6S 16gb for 9k cash as a burner phone for spotify and gym sessions, but it got sold quickly daw.

So yeah, here's me waiting for a watch sale. :)

16. Lana of Beyond the Box

Thank you for all your inputs, guys! We appreciate your time in sending your thoughts. We will do better moving forward.

gabo27 likes this.
  17. snipes

snipes Active Member

By all means, if you and everyone who agrees with you think I am wrong for bringing up the "sale" price then buy them at asking price. :)

I did that as a public service for other customers who probably do not know what they're buying and think it's a bargain.

#37 snipes, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    mosaka likes this.
  18. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

this is probably the most insensitive part of your comment. who are we to determine that it was overpricing on their part? for all we know, charlie is losing money already on these items since he is selling them already at the cost he purchased these items at that time, which is years ago.

let's not be all knowing, those prices you point out were from the US and for all we know those sellers have better terms with Apple or are selling them at a loss already but doing it to further cut their loss. sure BTB might have some issues with their inventory or what have you but that is their business to run not ours.

i am not here to engage you in a war of words, i just want to ask everyone that let's be more sensitive and mindful of our comments. Charlie has been very supportive of this forum - if you think what they're selling is not a good deal then there is no point trying to bring them down especially if your statement offers comparison of apples to oranges. if your price comparison is from similar APRs here then maybe, just maybe, your argument may have some leg to stand.

geraldo3, Don Pao, Qin Zhi and 2 others like this.
  19. snipes

snipes Active Member

My apologies for being so brash.

Thank you for disclosing the economic hardship Charlie's businesses is undergoing at the moment.

I do not want any business here to fail but I want them to improve their inventory.

But this is commerce and when a "sale" isn't really a sale then it should be called out on it.

I mention two American sites as objective price references.

Apple.com's Philippine store has the manufacturer's suggested retail price in Philippine Pesos. That means this is the ceiling for which pricing in the Philippine should be set at. Which begs the question why is a brand new sealed 2014 base model on Apple.com Philippine site selling at a lower price than an open box 2009 model listed on a BTB "sale" price list of P30,100?

[​IMG]

Historically brand new items sold through APRs are priced lower than Apple.com's Philippine store.

Ebay.com US is the fair market value of mostly used items. I could have used Olx.ph but the fair market value for the Philippines is much much lower than Ebay.com US. To give gravity to this claim, insurance companies in the Philippines use Olx.ph as their reference point in setting the market value of vehicles that are declared total wrecks.

This makes my comparison very much apple to apple. If I wanted to make unfair comparisons then I should have compared pricing of Apple Japan before sales tax vs Apple Philippines after value added tax.

Let us not blindly think Philmug forum users are being done any favours.

For those unawares Philmug is a marketeers dream. We are a captive audience that caters to Filipino and Philippine-based Apple customers who happens to be part of the top 1%. This means we are highly likely to afford all these devices on a regular basis making us ideal long term loyal customers. Naturally there are outliers.

We upgrade more regularly than the bottom 99%.

Get all the business of the early adopters (Philmuggers) and your competition are left with those who need more convincing to buy gadgets from them and are less likely to upgrade.

#39 snipes, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    macmacoy and cybersniper like this.
  20. arkaell

arkaell Active Member

It probably wasn't that hard to be a bit more constructive in your original comments.