2016 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yoh_hectic, Oct 27, 2016.

1. ikitub

ikitub Active Member

bought a custom 15" mbp on Apple store PH..

2. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

The PRO moniker is a misnomer but it usually mean creative professionals like video editors, motion graphic artists, illustrators, and their ilk - folks who need lots of computing horse power. Yet even in that sense you could say that the current Macbook Pros can do everything these people need their computer to do even with its limitations. RAM? Remember there is no Macbook Pro yet in history that can be expanded to 16gb. No ports? Yes you need adaptors but everything about Thunderbolt 3 screams professional - its is essentially the fastest and most versatile port in the history of computing. For many years creative professionals have been using the Macbook Pros line reliably and the 2016 update is more powerful then the last generation. However, critics do have a point that Apple could have made at least the 15 inch a bit more powerful, considering the competition.

I think the only legitimate gripe against the 2016 MBP is the unreasonable price. Apple really should have kept it inline with the last generation then again if you look at the history of Apple, they tend (but not always) to do a price hike for every new redesign of their computer line perhaps to more quickly cope for their R&D. The two most notable ones were the original Macbook Air and the original Retina Macbook Pro both were quite overpriced at launch IMHO.

As Qin Zhi said there are other pros like lawyers, teachers, writers, and business owners do not need all the wiz bang horse power of a high end laptop but do need the reliability, excellent support, and ease of use of a high end laptop like a Macbook Pro.

#242 Salaryman Ryan, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Sunil_K and Qin Zhi like this.
  3. Salaryman Ryan

I just just got my SFBags Waterfield sleeve (with optional sling) for my 13 inch Macbook Pro. Its a beauty! ❤️

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#243 Salaryman Ryan, Jan 16, 2017
  4. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

i also think that this model is the most "bang-for-buck" among the variants of the 2016 Macbook Pro lineup. unless you really really need the touchbar, then this variant brings the most value for your money. at the same time you also dodge the bullet from the issues encountered in the tMBP models.

Salaryman Ryan likes this.
  5. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

yes, waterfield. i still have a similar bag with detachable pouch from 2010 (for 11" MBA). good quality.

6. christopher

christopher Member

@Salaryman Ryan if they could have waited at least a month. Then using the latest gen Kaby Lake, this MBP would be capable of 32gb RAM. It just doesn't make sense they release a PRO machine with last gen's hardware? Remember when Apple used to be the first company to have the latest Intel chip? Now it's like the opposite. They release new products with previous generation hardware :(

#246 christopher, Jan 16, 2017
  7. christopher

christopher Member

This looks good! However, I just wonder how does it protect your MBP's aluminium construction which (in my experience) are very easy to dent. You can even get a dent even on a mild bump.

8. Salaryman Ryan

The sides are surprisingly thick and can absorb pretty hard bumps. You have to see it in person because it looks flimsy in photo. Been using a similar model for my last two 11 inch Macbook Airs . Dropped it twice once waist high and my Air smacked size ways on the concrete ground and the other time it was flipped by my cat and the my air belly flopped on the ground. Both times my heart stopped but my Air came out unscathed, not even a scratch. This is why I'm willing to pay extra for this sleeve, its light but has very good protection. Hopefully this new one should offer the same level of protection as the one that serviced my Airs since 2011.

christopher likes this.
  9. christopher

christopher Member

looks great! Thanks for the feedback, will definitely consider that bag @Salaryman Ryan

10. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

This Gizmodo article can best answer your question: Why Are Apple and Microsoft Using Such Old Processors in Their New Computers?

Briefly, Apple (and Microsoft) need to thoroughly test those processors before before they mass-produce computers running on them. As stated in the article:

Salaryman Ryan likes this.
  11. gravija_flare

gravija_flare Well-Known Member

#251 gravija_flare, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    ericb likes this.
  12. arkaell

arkaell Active Member

The Kaby Lake versions hopefully also has the rumored new battery technology

13. mr.butch

mr.butch Active Member

Hi. Where did you get this?

14. christopher

christopher Member

Kaby lake runs on the same socket, same chipset and on exactly same hardware. It has higher clock rate since it runs cooler. It's basically a drop-in replacement of Sky-lake. They could issue a new Macbook PRO now with just replacing the chip and its battery life would instantly increase. Now rumours are now circulating about a refresh. This machine (Macbook Pro 2016) just came out.... :cry:

15. eyemac

eyemac Active Member

usbc-1.jpg
    it finally came

usbc-2.jpg
    small things come in big packages :)

16. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

^ Just wondering, how will you use that with your rMBP? (n)

17. eyemac

eyemac Active Member

thank you for that question; the adapter is not meant for that particular MBP, just wanted to show that "small things come in big packages"
    ordered @ApplePH while the discount is on since local resellers are low on stocks

18. arkaell

arkaell Active Member

19. cruzargel

cruzargel Member

20. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

i just passed by Power Mac Greenbelt the other day, the 2016 15" tMBP doesn't feel too different from the 2015 versions. i guess the 13" looks more sleek, as the 15" variants have always been the chunky ones. hehe.