your advice in buying an iMac 17" 2Ghz Cor2Duo

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rflores, Apr 29, 2011.

1. rflores

rflores Well-Known Member

guys, i am about to buy a used 17inch imac.
    as you know, the iMac i am buying is not yet with me.

i wanna ask your opinion on two things:
    how much is a good buy for such model...
    and also on what things i need to check against defects, whatsoever...

I dont have the serial number yet, but ill have it by tom upon visiting.

2. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Check first the condition of the LCD screen if it has a yellowish hue or gray smudges at the lower or upper corners. If it is still the old PowerPC processor, the new Lion OS may not support PPC Macs. Ask the seller if he used a UPS for this iMac so at least there's a chance the power supply or logicboard to still be in good condition. Happy buying.

3. rflores

he has the vertical line issue of this series of Mac.. and accdg to one thread here, it can be replaced by APple for free.. i just need the serial number, which i will get tomorrow.

@macsonic, in case this will be my first experience of OSx, just trying to get a feel of this OS before I finally buy a newer model, (and then giving this one im eyeing to my nephew). Would you recommend?

it is being offered at around 23K eh, im thinking thats already a price of the new iPad2. what do you think?

4. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Hi Sir RFlores.

In getting the serial, check first if the unit has Applecare warranty. If the warranty already expired the Apple Sevice center might charge you for replacing the LCD. Replacing the LCD might cost around php20k to 27k ( not sure ) It depends if the issue in the screen is acceptable to you without the LCD repair Check first how the screen looks like. Some users are fine even though the screen has gray smudges.

For the OSX, it's fine if you are still using the old Leopard OSX for the time being.

If you can negotiate for a lower price would be better. If you are mostly mobile, and will just be using the Mac for general usage like internet browsing etc then the iPad might be a better option. Hope this helps.

5. rflores

That advice helps MacSonic.

Please note i dont have a desktop at home and i think that's where the iPad wont suffice for me..

According to this thread, Apple secretly replaces these lcd as it is a known issue for this model.
    Check here: http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=32455&page=10

Let's say, my lcd got replaced free of charge , will this be a good offer?

(ill find a way to do that, im thinking of calling the Apple Care even before buying the unit, or asking for atleast a 7-day personal wty with the seller.)

6. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Yes if the LCD gets replaced for FREE it's a good offer. If you can find a bigger iMac like 20" or 24" and your budget can accept; this route would be better.

7. rflores

wow.. ^_^

im having hard time comparing what are currently available on sale... what shall i look for so i know im looking at the correct specs? will the model number be enough?

8. peter61376

peter61376 Member

at that price you better be sure that the lcd will be replaced for free. but in terms of performance this is a better option than the mini in your other thread

9. empty

empty Active Member

I think 23k is a fair price for a 17 inch imac if it were in perfect working order. Now just because other people have been successful in getting a free LCD replacement (myself included) doesn't mean that you will. So be aware of the risk in this particular situation. You are paying 23k for a defective imac that could potentially need 15-20k in parts. That brings you in the price range of a 2009 imac. HTH

10. rflores

@peter, thanks for comparing, i was about to ask that.. comparing these is really challenging for me as someone who hasnt had one and had only been researching about OSx for the past few days.

@empty, ill take this into account. ill make sure to ensure this, before actually buying. i can see almost all (if not all) who have visited that thread about LCD replacement, got theirs replaced. That keeps my hopes up, but yeah, i got to make sure it does get fixed..

Guys,

how much is it to increase the RAM ng ganitong old models? say from 1G B to 3GB. parts and labor included.

11. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree with Mac Sonic, PowerPC is technically obsolete already with less and less support in software. Unless you get a very low price and satisfied in using only older version of software, it is probably wiser to pay a little more for an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Also the logic board advice is a good idea, not using a good UPS may wear down any computer equipment.

Take note that, PowerPC Macs can only run until OSX Leopard. Snow Leopard and definitely Lion won't run on PowerPC Macs. Also I put a lot of emphasis on Core 2 Duo because there are earlier versions: the "Core Duo" (without the "2") and the Core Solo. These variants won't be supported by Lion according to online feedback.

12. rflores

great!

THanks SalaryMan. The two options I have both run Core 2 Duo. Definitely I would want to run the Lion or atleast the Snow leopard on it. The one thing I need to check is the logicboard (well, aside from the LCD).

13. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

For ram upgrade, I am guessing for the 17" model the maximum ram support is 2gig ( i may be wrong ) I think the ram prices for this model has gone down. The later models have higher maximum ram support.

14. rflores

only until 2? hmmm... i hope it can until 3gb, better up to 4gb..

btw, regarding OS update, im trying to research on OSx Lion requirements, and the only 2 info I got so far is that, it needs Core2Duo proc and is 64-bit..

if these are the only reqts, this one will be able to run Lion.. i might be stretching it too far, but since lion will be released, might as well if i aim for a used Mac that can go taht far...

15. peter61376

peter61376 Member

that model can use only upto 3gb of ram but you can install upto 4gb of ram. if the requirement for lion is strictly 64bit. it wont work on this as well, since it runs on a 32 bit efi. but for snow leopard its very good and i think you'll be satisfied with it.

brought my imac to digital hub for a hardisk and ram upgrade along with a reformat. they quoted me P800 for everything. hope this gives you a guide on the cost. but upgrading the ram is a cinch, here is a tutorial for diy'ing your imac. :cool:

16. rflores

hi Peter thanks for the link and the advice. ;)

btw, i just confirmed it with the seller and its a 64-bit.. i lost the serial number(s2pd me), but ill ask it from him again tomorrow.

so 800 was for the service, i assume, how much was the upgrade? im thinking they installed new hardwares (hdd and ram).

will a 4GB ram be better than 2GBx2 combo?