"You need to restart your computer" problem

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by vincechang, Jan 27, 2010.

1. vincechang

vincechang Member

I didn't see any post yet regarding this issue..

anyway.. my macbookpro's ram was recently replaced by DH and was working perfectly. after a week, when i boot up may mac and the apple loading screen appears, it suddenly turned grey with a messge "you need to restart your computer . . .. blah blah blah" in 4 different languages!

i tried looking for a fix over the net and couldnt find any. i tried reinstalling, it worked for a couple of hours but when i run firefox, the system froze again. when i boot up, i got the same prompt as above..

anyone who has experienced this same kind of problem?

2. arkiesg

arkiesg Member

Sounds like you've got a faulty RAM. Have it checked at DH.

3. triggerbokie

triggerbokie Member

my friend's macbook had the same symptoms. however it wasn't caused by the ram.
    i diagnosed the issue by trying other hard disks because there was this clicking sound common to faulty drives. try to run a HW check using the recovery cd. it includes the ram in checking.
    i forgot ano yung i-press mo on startup

4. kyapjoco

kyapjoco Member

Had the same problem once, it's faulty RAM. I just had it replaced and everything was OK.

5. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@vincechange, you experienced a Kernel Panic. Basically, it's an error that OS X couldn't recover from. The cause could be one of many things, faulty RAM being one of them. If it just happens once, could just be a software bug. In your case, since it seems to happening regularly, it's probably a hardware problem. Try re-installing your old RAM and see if the problem goes away.

6. vincechang

vincechang Member

thanks to all your replies!

will try to do that when i get home :)

7. vincechang

vincechang Member

the weirdest thing happened last night. i tried replacing the old rams, didnt work. so i boot up the disk utility.. so far so good.. then i decided to exit the disk utility which made my macbook restart. then.. it worked!!

upto now, i still don't know what caused the kernel panic..

8. ginomatic

ginomatic Active Member

I experienced this one time when I plugged in my ethernet cable.

9. vincechang

vincechang Member

my macbook pro failed me once again. :redface: i will have it diagnosed again at DH.

10. rhyantiangco

rhyantiangco Member

Kernel Panic... Ahh.. so that what it is called. I experienced this i think about 3 - 4 times already. Didn't know the problem then I just restart my mbp and it worked again. Hmm.. Does DH do any system check to see if your unit has problems or not? The counterpart of physical checkup for humans.

11. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

@rhyantiangco, yes, DH should be able to some diagnostics on your Mac to determine if there's a hardware or software problem.

12. vincechang

vincechang Member

i just got terrible news.. after my macbookpro's RAM was replaced by DH.. i keep getting the kernel panic. before anything else, it was working perfectly. i brought my mbp yesterday to DH to have the RAM that was replaced checked. it turned out to be a defective RAM (at first) when the mbp restarted, there it was again. the kernel panic. so i left the mbp with DH to have it fully diagnosed.

i received a call minutes ago that even with other RAMs or other HD, the mbp still gets the kernel panic. And i was now asked to replace the logic board..

I really dont know what went wrong here. is it because of the RAM installed by DH which led to the kernel panic of my mbp?!?

13. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

kernel panics can be caused by software or hardware... if hardware, it can be the memory (usual suspect), harddrive (very rare), or the logicboard (if the ram and harddrive are tested ok). in your case its the logicboard that's defective since they already replaced the ram and hdd.

14. vincechang

vincechang Member

But before my mbp's ram was replaced, it was working fine. it just so happens that when it was replaced by DH. i got the kernel panic.

15. vincechang

vincechang Member

i got my macbookpro back. they gave me a refund on the RAM. so i decided to get the magic mouse..

now.. my macbook is working again! :mad: its kinda weird.

i forgot to mention that my screen flickers or freezes before the entire mbp hangs. -before it goes to kernel panic. it is possible that the cause is the nvidia defect?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

16. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

does your macbook pro have the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT video card chip?

17. vincechang

vincechang Member

yes it does.

18. Hot_Stuff

Hot_Stuff New Member

guys please help...i have dual OS in my Mac, but when am using Windows and i want to shutdown the laptop its keep restarting in to Mac, even i press the Turn Off button.

why its like that? and how can i shutdown the laptop without logging in to Mac?

19. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

@Hot_Stuff, are you sure that Windows is configured to actually shutdown when you click on the button in the Start menu? I remember I could change the behavior between shutdown and restart in Windows 7.

EDIT: I deleted your 2 other duplicate posts. Next time, don't post the exact message more than once. Choose one thread or create a new one.

20. rycua

rycua Member

this same issue happened to my friend's awesome new aluminum mac mini! :cool:
    (back-tracked which application i last installed before the issue happened...)
    as it turns out i simply removed InsomniaX from the startup items list under accounts and everything went to back to normal... :)
    (after which i decided to remove InsomniaX altogether to avoid any unnecessary issues.)