YM Problem in OS X

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by quick, Oct 18, 2009.

1. quick

quick Member

Hi,

I'm currently having problems with my mac book. Whenever I try to connect to yahoo messenger it only displays that it's loading and that's it. I know that I'm already connected in YM because I can see myself available in my sister's pc but on my end, it's only showing that it's loading forever.

I already tried reinstalling it but I'm having the same problem. I'm using mac book OS x.

Please help.

2. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Did you download it directly off of Yahoo Messenger's website? Or from other sources? Make sure you have the latest version too.

3. h.chua

h.chua Active Member

try to repair disk permissions.

4. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Trash all the files in ~/Library/Caches/Yahoo! Messanger, where "~" is your user account.

5. chrisjigaboo

chrisjigaboo Member

how do i do this? im having the same problem with my yahoo messenger.

6. 12jade12

12jade12 Member

I have the same problem!
    I'm using ibook g4 and unibody.
    SOMEONE HELP PLEASE!

7. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

Aside from what PatrickGaerlan said..

Do this:
    1. Quit Yahoo Messenger.
    2. Go to ~/Library/Preferences
    3. Look for ALL .plist files that starts with "com.yahoo.messenger3"
    4. Trash 'em AND empty your trash.

Good luck!

8. 12jade12

12jade12 Member

@ enshong: Still not working =(
    @ PatrickGaerlan: what do you mean by "where "~" is your user account"? Sorry, I've been a mac user since 2004 but i only use it for internet, ym, iphoto and stuff. So yeah, you can still label me as a newbie. hehe

9. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

@12jade12:
    When you open Finder, you can see "PLACES" on the left side of the window. One of the items under that has a house icon. That is the name of your User Account which PatrickGaerlan substituted with "~" since each of use a different one.
    In mine, my User Account is "enshong" so I have to go to enshong/Library/Caches/Yahoo! Messenger.

10. 12jade12

12jade12 Member

@ enshong: thanks! got it but hayyyy this is frustrating...its still not working.

11. hopscotch

hopscotch Member

I always do this and it works.

Go to your library folder, then type in search "messenger" then look for the com.yahoo.messenger 3 plist. Delete them and empty your trash. Your YM should work now.

12. shaven

shaven Active Member

http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=36438&page=8&highlight=yahoo+messenger

hopes this will work on OS X also ;)
    goodluck!

13. 12jade12

12jade12 Member

i tried everything you guys said but its still not workinggggg

14. rg0nzales

rg0nzales Member

1. POSSIBLE SOLUTION TO SPINNING PROBLEM:
      When I downloaded the updated, I noticed the program was running very slow, but whatever. However, all of a sudden, I got the spinning circle. I reinstalled the software, but that didn’t help. I tried to login with a different Yahoo ID, and it worked like a charm, so I figured the problem had to do with my old profile. I backed up the conversation logs by doing the following: Go to your user folder, then Library, then Application Support, then Yahoo! Messenger, and move the Logs folder to another location (I dragged it to my Desktop). After backing it up, I deleted the Yahoo! Messenger folder in Application Support. Also, I deleted the following folder: Your User > Library > Caches > Yahoo! Messenger (this folder contains some files including Display Pictures for both contacts and yourself). Later, I deleted the following file which contains your preferences like your saved Yahoo ID and password, your Custom Status messages, and general preferences: Your User > Library > Preferences > the file name should be something like com.yahoo.messenger3.Users.YourYahooID.plist. Then, I uninstalled the program from the Application folder and removed the icon in my Dock (all of this because I’d rather be safe than sorry); I believe this guarantees the software has been removed completely from your computer. Afterwards, I just reinstalled and I was able to login no problem. If you need to restore your logs, you should just move the folder you backed up to the location you took it from and replace the existing one (in my case it was empty). Please be aware that this solution worked for me, I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS THE SOLUTION THAT WILL WORK FOR YOU! ALSO, THIS IS NOT REALLY A SOLUTION, JUST A WORKAROUND TO A PROBLEM THAT YAHOO SHOULD LOOK INTO AS MANY PEOPLE ARE EXPERIENCING IT. I will check this thread the following days so please let me know whether this worked for you or not
      Comment by srg — September 13, 2009 #