WWDC 2021

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by Silentwill, Mar 31, 2021.

1. kaboomerangle

kaboomerangle Member

Can i just say that I was somewhat let down with what they announced for iPadOS? I can't pinpoint what it is exactly and I'm certainly not expecting MacOS apps running especially on iPad Pros, but I felt Apple could have introduced some features that would have taken advantage of the M1 chip on the new iPad Pro, even if it's something under the hood. But...nothing sadly.

Silentwill likes this.
  2. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

I've watched every apple event from beginning to end. This is the first time i dozed off while watching.

rabby, raypin and chris2x like this.
  3. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

same here - i am usually excited to hear what they have new, even through the liveblogs. but nothing really called out to me.

Sunil_K likes this.
  4. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

This WWDC’s new feature set revolves heavily on the developers tools to build better apps. This year a lot of long time wishes had been introduced and devs are very excited about the new things for iOS15, iPadOS and macOS.

i think for the layman Mac users think of this just a minor incremental iteration that will allow bigger benefits on the next Apple announcements. This is a Developer’s conference in the first place :)

this year’s WWDC is a treasure trove of new tools than last year.

expect a different Apple Event for the new Mac Mini (waiting for this!) and Apple Watch maybe in August or September.

chris2x and raypin like this.
  5. macsurge730

macsurge730 PhilMUG Addict Member

First time not to be excited to these Apple software updates…

6. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

True but you really can't blame us on hoping. :) Apple had a history of SOMETIMES releasing some wiz bang hardware in past WWDCs. For example the Cheese Grater Mac Pro in 2019, iMac Pro in 2017, or the Trash Can Mac Pro in 2013 etc.

7. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm….I m fine with this year’s WWDC focus on software. As for new hardware, it will be launched when Apple is good and ready.

8. bacchus_3

Can’t really blame anyone, true. It was Apple’s fault they made it a common practice to do hardware launches on WWDC. Just like shifting Apple event dates this year may be one of those different cycles moving forward.

As a developer the previous years’ piggyback hardware launches were like extra icing on the cake :)

9. bacchus_3

I’m curious why no one is excited for iCloud+ Privacy Relay and Hide My Email. And Focus too. Maybe we’re not that into privacy? Or it just didn’t get that much highlight in the keynote - other reveal videos show ofher exciting features for iOS, iPadOS and macOS that weren’t given spotlight in the keynote.

10. jbe21

jbe21 Member

I'm actually excited for this one but as previously stated, iCloud+ Privacy Relay wont be coming into the PH due to local regulations. I didn't know we have such laws and regulations that prevents Apple from bringing such privacy features in the country. What a bummer.

11. bacchus_3

It may be because there’s no relay service they can partner with here, and building one have some restrictions - FDI maybe?

i’m not bummed Private Relay isn’t available YET…I have VPN. HideMyEmail is a simplified extension of Apple ID Sign-In which is very handy for quick sign-ups now

jbe21 likes this.
  12. jbe21

jbe21 Member

I remember now. Telecoms industry is still categorized as a Nationalized Activity/Industry. It needs Filipino ownership. I hope that is the only reasons. I was thinking about we have some Anti-Privacy laws or regulations that was enacted by the government.

Yeah, as of now, we have to rely on our respective VPN services.

13. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

The last time I felt excited in any of these Apple keynotes / announcements was when they introduced iPad. It was also one of the last public appearances of Steve Jobs. The iPad in my opinion is Apple’s last revolutionary product. The past few years what we’ve seen are only minor iterations/improvements of the previous gen. As for the Apple Watch, HomePod and the Airpods, they’re great products but I wouldn’t call them gamechangers.

14. bacchus_3

^^The M1 doesn’t count yet? :)

15. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member