WWDC 2020

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by ice, Mar 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

hitme64, Mykolant, ronjet and 2 others like this.
  2. ice

3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Getting back to our roots. Sawa na dun sa isang thread. It has become so morbidly unsatisfying to read anymore.

At least now, we look forward to WWDC in June, possibly new apps to use for in the coronavirus era. And maybe a new Health App to detect early signs for the coronavirus. I said “maybe”.

Juice, ronjet and Sunil_K like this.
  4. ice

New iMac With 'iPad Pro Design Language' and Thin Bezels Reportedly Coming at WWDC | MacRumors

Theus likes this.
  5. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

^nice! will wait for this. Looking to replace our 2013 iMac, for the longest time :ROFLMAO:

6. jologs

jologs Active Member

7. ice

My personal take on Macs running ARM...

They will be great, if you use apps from Apple.

You will feel it getting sluggish once you use Apps from Adobe :) and (as usual) Chrome will drain the battery faster.

8. jologs

jologs Active Member

There will be of course, a transitional period but I'll wait and see for myself. The only Adobe app I use is Acrobat and I have Firefox for web browsing.

In a somewhat related note, Intel Lakefield has been announced and it's supposed to go head-to-head with ARM-based laptop chips.

9. ice

Third Party apps take forever to update...

I remember attending a Webinar and the speaker started with "don't update to Catalina"

Even if you watch reviews of the Mac Pro, some Adobe Apps still cannot fully maximize its processors as the apps are not yet optimized.

But again it all depends on the person and the apps they need.

Zoey likes this.
  10. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

Lots of hype! I suggest we manage our expectations. More often then not the Apple rumor mill tends to sensationalize a lot.

amieldh likes this.
  11. ice

12. textguru

textguru Active Member

why countdown timer here was not activated? should we be excited to that? :barefoot:

13. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I would definitely need Sleep Tracking on the iPhone and Apple Watch. My sleep has been irregular since the lockdown. I also have weird, lurid dreams. It isn’t old age so it must be something else. But I am sure ST won’t solve that. Not yet.

ARM on Macs is a shot in the arm for Apple. Pun intended. Will it be good for them? I hope so. Will it be expensive as usual? Of course. It’s Apple.

Finally, new watch face platforms, even from third party apps, for the AW. I still pine for that simple Hermes watch face even if my AW isn’t one. At least give us a chance to see it on our wrists.

raypin and Sunil_K like this.
  14. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm sleeping now so when I wake by 5am-7am the keynote would have just wrapped up and I can see the highlights.

Not buying a new iMac until 2024 and a new Macbook until 2028.

15. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Watching now! Anyone else is up?

Mykolant and jayparalejas like this.
  16. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

Me! Eagerly awaiting new iMacs

17. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Holy cow!! iOS14 home screen looks good!! Though I can imagine the Fandroids snickering :)

Mykolant and jayparalejas like this.
  18. Bulanching

Bulanching Member

And here's me saving up to buy some house or condo with an iPhone 6S+ but wanted to buy a new iPhone next year damn

19. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Hi guys if you’re not watching live, make sure you catch this. Lots of super hanep new features in IOS and iPad OS so far.

Sunil_K, Mykolant and prof_er like this.
  20. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

My quick notes:
    • They ripped the home screen widgets right off of Velox! And compact Siri as well... Which is good -- the more things they get "inspiration" from the jailbreak scene, the less reasons for me to do it. :D
    • App Clips, a.k.a. Google's AMP, but for Apple apps. If only this can be used to its full potential in PH... no Apple Pay here :(
    • The scribbling features in iPad + Pencil are very cool. We'll see whether I'll be taking more notes with the Pencil instead of using the keyboard.
    • Sleep tracking on the Apple Watch! Finally! And hand-washing detection as well.
    • macOS Big Sur. They basically made macOS look like iOS, but it still looks gooooood. I also appreciate where they update all of their "high-traffic" apps and UI elements to be consistent with each other. This is where they absolutely have the upper hand vs. Windows. (Please, Microsoft, please update File Explorer!)
    • ARM-based Apple Silicon and future Macs. All these demos running on A12Z without breaking a sweat? Tomb Raider on Rosetta 2 at 1080p, and seemingly without any loss in quality? How do I get those iOS apps, from the Mac App Store? Is this the beginning of the end for Intel Macs (and Hackintoshes)? I have so many questions. Also, no new hardware (aside from the dev kit), as typical of WWDC.