WWDC 2018

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by Roman, May 23, 2018.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm..looking forward to......iOS 12 that speeds up iOS devices (hopefully), Siri Shortcuts for routine task automation for apps, Group FaceTime, Mojave and Dolby Atmos for Apple TV.

#21 raypin, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Am just hoping that they don’t kill the iPhone X yet with a new iteration, maybe iPhone Y...

Juice likes this.
  3. gravija_flare

gravija_flare Well-Known Member

while the new features for ios 12 are very nice, there's still 3 items i would have wanted them to include:

1. dark mode like that of macos - since the smart invert option under display settings does not properly work with all ios apps

2. control center to have all removable or customizable controls, like the widgets - since i prefer to be able to select only the settings i want in there

3. settings option to fully turn-off the wifi and bluetooth via the control center - not just disable it

#23 gravija_flare, Jun 5, 2018
  4. miggyhipolito

miggyhipolito Active Member

what a boring event

dasaint, Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  5. yehey9

yehey9 PhilMUG Addict Member

Summary. In 14minutes.

hitme64 likes this.
  6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I still miss Steve Jobs doing his thing on stage...this year's WWDC needs a shaman like Gavin Belson to put the oomph back to it...

shootertwist and yehey9 like this.
  7. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Waze will now be supported by Car Play!
    That's my one takeaway from the event.

Oh, one more: Americans sure love their emojis

:rolleyes:

raypin likes this.
  8. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....I love it. The keynote opener by Tim Cook said it all: 20 million developers, 500 million weekly visitors to the Appstore and USD 100 billion paid by Apple to developers. From the user pov, there’s plenty of stuff to look forward to. I was half-expecting a surprise announcement of new hardware but WWDC is about Apple software. It is about making the stuff that runs our devices better, faster and easier to use. In that regard, WWDC 2018 did not disappoint me.

shutterbug, Qin Zhi and shootertwist like this.
  9. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Shortcuts is what Workflow.app looks like deeply integrated into the OS. Excited for this.

raypin likes this.
  10. yehey9

"we are focusing our efforts on oldest devices; iphone 6 plus.. you will see apps lauch 40% faster, keyboard 50% faster; camera 70% faster"
    - well they have slowed it down to 80% with that old battery excuse, so who are they kiddin'?
    well yeah, not a hater but i like it when they still support old devices. hahaha

"we are on a relentless pace on advancement with AR" - i don't see myself using AR everyday. they should focus more on AI. Siri is getting dumber and dumber. and no, Shortcuts still wont cut it against Alexa and Google assistant AI.

11. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree... Notifications is the only reason why I need an Android device for work.

12. vic2rp

vic2rp Active Member

Agree and I don't like that you need to micromanage Siri just to make it work accordingly. The whole event pales in comparison with Google I/O this year.

13. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Siri Shortcuts opens the floodgates to the long awaited request from developers to have a way to integrate with Siri. This is like the Automator on the Mac. Excited to see how other devs get to exploit this new feature.

raypin likes this.
  14. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Seriously? Wow. I was excited by many of the new stuff. I guess we have different triggers.

Leo

15. yehey9

"This year, we are taking Animoji to a new level; breakthrough new technology we call..... tongue detection.."
    "We worked hard to build a deep set of customization options to let our customers create an incredibly diverse set of Memoji."
    This is really funny... if it was meant to be sarcastic.

All kidding aside, the one I was most surprised/excited about was Facetime supporting 32-user video calls.

16. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

^^Memoji is just a flaunt of what ARKit 2 can do - in a relatable way for iPhone customers. But for developers it is their baseline on what they can do with the API. Memoji is proof to devs that ARKit has that accuracy and growing rich API functionality vs last year’s ARKit.

Apple knows how to market a developer feature...but that can indeed be viewed as sarcasm for other technologies that haven’t thought of the funny ways AR can be used in mainstream use cases.

raypin, rbenzon and yehey9 like this.
  17. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

my take away from this event: Apple is so comfortably ahead in the race that the theme was Stability not Ability.

I look forward to the same theme when they release a new iPhone and iPad. so many android bannermen laughing at the iPhone X when it was introduced but look at how android phones copying the iPhone X nowadays.

raypin, shutterbug, bacchus_3 and 2 others like this.
  18. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

If Tim Cook (or whoever said it) was correct, all that Google glory was installed on 6% of Android phones.

Feeling superior, pero 6% lang pala ang nakinabang? Yan ba yung *silent majority*? ;)

Developers build for both, but they all know, per capita, where the moneyed users are.

bowser, raypin, Jess and 2 others like this.
  19. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Unfortunately, that's the price I'm willing to pay for privacy. I like their way of handling machine learning and big data. They always make sure to process them in-device or sincerely come up with secure ways so even they can't rummage through iMessage or Siri.

Prime example:

Google Photos: Unlimited storage but will need your pictures for Machine Learning. Millions of user photos along with yours are analyzed by Google servers to accurately identify each scenario (walk in a park or hiking); your photos may also be subject to ad targeting especially if they have means to come up with campaigns such as identifying products (Google Lens) you often use then the background and showing you ads when browsing the web.

iOS Photos App: Relies on ML framework of Apple, all suggestions are processed in-device which can still tell what photo has a dog in it or if you're ever on a hike based solely on the available data.

Granted, I think Google's would be more robust, but Apple's good enough is really amazing from a software standpoint + you're not giving advertisers your life story.

#39 rdy0329, Jun 5, 2018
    alanis_junkie, rbenzon and bacchus_3 like this.
  20. AVG

AVG Active Member

I just discovered Siri Shortcuts aka workflow is actually a big thing for Siri's much needed improvement. I would love to set up my own phrase for Siri. Apple is getting there just waiting for John Giannandrea further development with Apple's A.I assistant. Anyway, It looks like 2019 will be very busy for both WWDC and Keynote.