Would it be cheaper to get the new MBA '11 in Singapore?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by feistycarlo, Aug 31, 2011.

1. feistycarlo

feistycarlo Member

I'm going to Singapore this September for the F1 race and i'm also thinking of getting an MBA 2011 there. I have already asked our local retailers here for their discounted prices but i still want to know if I could get a better deal in Singapore after GST refund and other deals.

Would anyone know the best and cheapest shop I could get the MBA in Singapore? Would shops have different deals e.g free case/sleeve/etc.?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. justinred

justinred Member

I did my homework before I got an MBP a month ago. Apple Philippines and Apple Singapore SRP are almost the same, Sg price may be even a bit higher when converted to Php due to the high Sgd exchange rate (Sgd=Php35.14 as of the moment)+ credit card add on. You can check out Apple PH and SG online for SRP prices.

If you are going to buy over the counter, resellers in SG will sell you SRP but give you freebies (case, sleeve etc) plus you can get 7% GST rebate, while resellers in PH will give you hefty cash discounts of no less than 10%.

So between those choices, getting from a local reseller with a discount will still come out cheaper.

#2 justinred, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  3. AkoSiBatMan

AkoSiBatMan Active Member

DigitalHub's pricing, c/o Charlie, is a lot more competitive vs. Apple's SG and PH quoted online prices. ;)

4. maxx

maxx Member

you don't get the full 7% GST back for your purchases in Sg, there's a 1.5% service fee, so you get a net of 5.5% out of the 7%.

5. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Try asking DW's sir Charlie for a quotation.
    It might change your mind - coz in my case it did :)

6. majesta24

majesta24 Member

yep, support local resellers as much as possible... the price difference is not that far off anyway...

7. drknight888

drknight888 Active Member

Been to singapore often but i only buy gadgets or items rarely found in the philippines. And when it pertains to apple products, nothing beats charlie. Try asking him for quotation first.

8. goateneo

goateneo Member

I also recommend Charlie of Digital Hub:)

9. Eriction

Eriction Member

just bought the top of the line BTO unit for the Macbook Air 11" at DG in Vivo City (Surprisingly they had it in stock). Comparing it to the quotation I got from Charlie (and I am still getting from him another unit for my wife :)), his ratees are cheaper if you pay in cash. If you use your credit card though (straight charge), SG is coming out to be cheaper if you factor in the GST as well. I used HSBC for the purchase and the forex charge is equivalent to around ~2.7% of the listed value. Deduct the ~5% from the GST bit and the price comes out cheaper than the CC rate offered by Charlie.

So if you are going to pay with cash - go to Charlie. If it's through straight charge using your CC, SG comes out cheaper though Charlie offers 12 (and soon 24 months using your Citibank card I would assume) months deferred payment. So base your decisions I guess along these lines...

Just my two cents...

Thanks.

10. feistycarlo

feistycarlo Member

Wow! Thank you for all the helpful replies. :) now i can get the MBA here earlier without thinking about the "possible" cheaper rate in SG. :)