World of Warcraft is EVIL! STAY AWAY!

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by vicicasas, Dec 26, 2004.

1. vicicasas

vicicasas Active Member

Yes, it's true. WoW must have been spawned from hell. It's an overwhelming force of pure, malevolent evil.

I made the mistake of giving my wife (cokeycyn) a boxed retail copy of World of Warcraft as one of her Christmas gifts. Little did I know that it would be one of the biggest mistakes of my holiday season.

Only three short days later, both of us (yes, both) are walking zombies. We have had almost zero sleep over the past few days. Just today, we only found solace in sleep as the sky was turning pink with sunrise. Both of us are glassy eyed and sluggish. Out of nowhere, in the middle of the mall or during a Christmas party, my wife will spontaneously twitch, raise her arms and make soft "whooshing" noises as if summoning a fireball, and then go "Booom" with an eerie glint in her eyes. I, on the other hand, find myself looking at impolite Christmas shoppers or random passersby and wishing I had a militia warhammer in my hands and chain mail around my body.

I can't even believe I'm holding my PowerBook and typing this instead of logging on to the game and hearing the sweet siren calls of the server.

Authenticating.

Handshaking.

Connecting.

We have been posssessed. We are beyond hope. We have succumbed.

Save us.

2. cokeycyn

cokeycyn Guest

Do not be afraid.

We are forming a team of Level 10 Paladins and Mages, to scour the forests of the evil murloc raiders. We appeal to all philMuggers to do their part in keeping the World of Warcraft safe.

Come! Join us! We shall prevail!

3. Eric

Eric Member

You guys are crazy. :lol: But you got our attention, where do we get a copy?

4. vicicasas

vicicasas Active Member

I ordered my copy from Amazon and had a tita bring in her luggage for Christmas. Be warned, though: the game is officially running only for North American players, so you will need access to a valid US postal address and a credit card with a US billing address to register and play the game, even if the game comes bundled with any sort of credit (i.e. 30 day membership, 10 day free trial, or prepaid value card).

The game takes over an hour to install from the four included CDs (or the DVD if you buy the Collector's Edition) but once you've got it running, it's seamless and quite playable even on a 1ghz PowerBook and reasonably fast connection. Great graphics, very immersive, and a total black hole. You'll wonder where the hours went. Set aside around 6GB of hard disk space and an external keyboard and right-clickable mouse for best effect.

Some other PhilMUGGers currently playing the game are Cutiepanda and Hoho (with whom we've been questing on a regular basis over the past few days.)

Big shoutout to Hohoho, the Level 10 Paladin who has been an immense help to me and Cyn!

5. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

In other words, you need a US issued credit card :(

sigh...

6. vicicasas

vicicasas Active Member

Or someone who is willing to "sponsor" you. You can work something out if you know someone in the US ... after all, the credit card is needed just to register, sort of like swiping it at a hotel reception desk when you check in so they can hold it as security without actually charging anything to it.

If you buy a retail package with a 30-day subscription and augment it constantly with a couple of prepaid cards, that US credit card may never need to be used throughout your WoW career.

[Edited on 12-26-2004 by vicicasas]

7. brain1976

brain1976 Member

MMORPG is really evil! I just came from Datablitz and I asked about WOW and they said "malapit na". But it's such a paradox, you need a job to pay for it, but you also must not have a job in order to play it.

8. cutiepanda

cutiepanda Member

I haven't been sleeping...
    I haven't been buying any new toys (or mouse)... which is a good thing! :D
    I haven't been tending to my dogs' needs...
    I haven't been thinking much of work...
    I haven't been using my Wacom tablets...
    I haven't been enjoying X'mas... other than being able to stay at home and play
    I haven't been eating regularly... Snickers is my best friend
    I haven't had a haircut for weeks now... my head looks like a bush

BUT I am lvl a level 40 Warlock with a horse!!! MUAHAHAHAHA~

... :beer:

We're not evil... we're just "special"... :evil:

9. Jiru-chan

Jiru-chan Member

If there's one MMORPG that I'm willing to play, it's this one. Korean MMORPGs? No offense, but BAH! I'd like to see World of Warcraft kick Ragnarok's butt. :evil:

10. hoho

hoho Member

Wahahaha... see what you have wrought?

One of these days I should drop by with my main character... :D But that character is currently busy with other quests at this time. Hehehe...

And I can't believe the 2 of you were playing until 5AM the other day... wahahahahaha...

H

11. dmxmd

dmxmd Member

Must resist assimilation... :drunk:

12. Eric

Eric Member

Read somewhere you need to shell out $14 a month for the WoW subscription.

13. DecimusMxms

DecimusMxms Member

Hi! Do you think this game will work with my Mac? (G4 Quicksilver 800Mhz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 7500 32mb and 56kbps connection)

14. El CaMOTe

El CaMOTe Guest

Vic, Cokecyn, Cutiepanda, brain1976 et al,

I realise that it is just a video game, but methinks at the comico-'diabolical' depth you guys seemingly are in, you run counter to all that is truly this Christmas season.

At first blush, one does think that you are 'enraptured' in all this World of Warcraft tomfoolery, it is good to know that you can take time off and post at PhilMUG ;)

And with all the US creditcard requirements, the cost of the videogame itself, the 'importing' +the monthly cost, materially it is quite demanding.

Subconsciously, Mentally, spiritually, one wonders about it's 'cost-benefit' analysis.

Oh well, what do I know, I'm so videogame challenged that I never saved the princess in the 'Legend of Kaji,' couldn't pass the swimming test in Mario & Luigi, remained at level 1 in Bugdom 1 & 2, still at 'bugoh 1' level at Ottomatic... :blush::blush:

I guess you video adepts are in another cyberworld... :eek:

I must say Vic, for a while, in your first post in this thread, I thought you were serious !!

Let us just hope that these 'daemonic immersions' do not translate to "symphonies for the ... ":evil:

From 'Hairy' to "Merry" "ChristMass" always guys !

;):):D

15. vicicasas

vicicasas Active Member

16. vicicasas

vicicasas Active Member

I think a 1ghz proc and a broadband connection is a safe minimum, especially since the initial install requires you to download a patch that can run up to 50-60 megabytes.

17. daxdagr8t

daxdagr8t Member

Its nice that both of u are playing the game...hahahhaa.lvl 41 plly here in Kilrog and i have an all plly guild so if any of u in Kilrog and a paladin seek me out and ill recruit u.WoW is great, very addicting.

18. LordDecanus

LordDecanus Guest

Whew! It's a post about a game. For a moment there, I thought my ex's blog about me found its way to Philmug! :p BTW, I'm a nice guy, really! lol

19. shrubber

shrubber Member

after the brief (and low res) preview Vic showed at the alabang meet i'm just glad i don't a have a US based credit card i can use to charge the game to!

:D

but if i did...

20. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

Just a quick question about WoW. Say I do get a prepaid card, how does it work? Is it like a cellphone, you only get charged when you're online? Or when you enter the authorization code, only then does the clock start running?