Working in Australia

Discussion in 'General OT' started by tomangelo, Jan 18, 2016.

1. tomangelo

tomangelo Active Member

I'm trying to find some jobs in Australia right now. But someone advised me that it's hard for employers to hire you if you don't currently reside in Australia and don't have the Visa.

Any advices for people who are currently working there? This is my first time to try to apply for a work abroad. I currently have 4 years experience in software development, and would really like to try something new and outside of my comfort zone.

I have gathered some information that some people apply for a scholarship to get a visa and then do some part time work.

Any advices will be helpful especially in any information you can share about any agencies or helpful links I can check.

2. wem272

wem272 Active Member

Check the MODL or occupations in demand list. Thats the point system you can use to check if your qualified for skills migration.

3. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    I agree with the advise you got. It would help if you are already in Australia when looking for work, especially in an industry that requires some accreditation, such as IT. It also gives you an opportunity to scrutinize the prospective employer whether it's a place you'd want to work for. Saves you from any unfortunate surprises you might face once you arrive "fresh off the boat".

If you can find any way to get to Australia, whether on a student visa or skilled migration, then you'd be halfway to your goal. Not as a tourist because that doesn't permit you to work.

Most people start here with whatever job they can find, then build on their experience over time which will allow them to get better jobs later on. A big deal here is having any actual experience working in Australia. People do things differently here, so learning the ropes first and getting accustomed to how things are done is necessary.

4. tomangelo

tomangelo Active Member

I passed these types of Visa
    189 Independent 190 State 489 State

Thank you for sharing this to me. I hope I can attend some seminars about migrating and working to US here in manila.

I've read some that there are cases wherein the employer provides a 457 working visa to the successful applicant. However I think this is a rare case. But I'm hoping to go with this route since I think this is the most convenient and safe for me.

5. tulogista

tulogista Member

I suggest you visit www.pinoyau.info. Lots of information from fellow pinoys that were successful in obtaining a working visa. Good luck!

6. tomangelo

tomangelo Active Member

Thanks for sharing the link!

7. Cmmig

Cmmig PhilMUG Addict Member