WIRELESS portable hard drive for Apple iPad

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by charles_yeth, May 17, 2011.

1. jpcacanindin

jpcacanindin Member

This one looks promising. Saw one in Sulit @ Php 2,450 bucks.

2. Yagbolz

Yagbolz Well-Known Member

Hate the limited movie it can play.. Only .mp4 and .mov

3. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I've already gotten used to this limitation by iOS devices...

I am presently using FileExplorer Free (By Steven Zhang) to access my network files using an iPad/iPhone and it also cannot play .avi files not unless I purchase the paid version.

4. rflores

rflores Well-Known Member

reincarnating this thread. ice got me interested in this portable router thing.

What i understand is, this device uses a stick's connection to be able to connect a few more devices to the internet. It sound's like connecting your stick to a laptop and using an app on your laptop to share the connection, but of course sans the laptop.

It sounds like what a Pocketwifi can do, minus a second device. What else does this configuration offer?

Ah, so I made some google-ing and found that the Dlink SharePort Go has a usb slot which you can access wirelessly, making your iPadMini or other devices that does not have expandable memory have more memory. :D

#44 rflores, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  5. ice

^DLink SharePort Go is cheaper compared to the Apotop I posted earlier

Based on my research, here's a short Pros and Cons.

Pros
    - cheap way to expand a device's memory (just in case you bought an 8GB device for your child)
    - It works as a portable charger
    - (for Apotop) it has a SD Card reader, easier to view photos from an iPad during family events
    - you can connect it to your hotel room's internet cable

Cons
    - you cannot access files and browse the internet at the same time, router only has 1 USB
    - you will need a 3G/4G dongle to connect to the internet

6. rflores

ice, I think this deserves a separate thread. although this product acts as a wireless drive , its extra features is deserving of further attention. your call ;)

Anyway, there is actually another Shareport device (latest) that also features SD card reading.

Questions:

Does this product have a direct competitor, one that does both wireless drive and turning stick to wifi hotspot?

Which ones are available in the PHL

7. ice

^I actually made a research on these portable routers since I found the Seagate Satellite Go and AirStash too expensive :)

I'm not sure which routers are available there, they're also a bit hard to find here (I can only find Apotop in Challenger and the DLink in Gain City)

With regards to your question, most I've found has a switch, either you use it as a router for internet or files, haven't seen one that can do both at the same time (except for my Airport Extreme, but its not portable).

Biggest issue I've encountered is during long drives, I use the Internet for my tablet's Navigation while my wife and daughter needs their files...

8. rflores

:)

hmmm in my case, I have a USB stick from Globe (company-provided) and would like to get a gadget that can share the connection wirelessly. I was thinking of buying a pocket wifi and just put the sim on it, but realized this shareport is another option. wireless file accessing is a welcome addition.

9. oxenjo30

oxenjo30 Member

is this available locally? if so, how much is the damage?

10. ice

11. rflores

Promising ice. Good luck on finding the CDRKING branch to snag these. The last time I checked, they are still inefficient in telling where a specific item is. I'm quite interest about the price, though. For sure mura, pero how cheaper is it kaya..

12. ice

^actually my main concern with these "unbranded" portable routers is battery life.

13. rflores

mind you ice, there are several pocket routers that has a SD card slot, but dont have streaming or at least FTP functionality. The products by Kingston, Apotop and Dlink, like the one listed in this forum has an Android App / iOS App which allows for FTP/Streaming.

I see the CDRKING variants has microSD slot. If they wont have APP, I think there is an option though to connect the devices to an exisiting wifi and access the files from there via the common wifi network. I havent tried though.

BTW, I also found this one HAME A2 and HAME A1 :) Quite promising...

http://www.lelong.com.my/free-wifi-...331-mifi-koccilog-I1390398-2007-01-Sale-I.htm

#53 rflores, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  14. ice

^Checked your link. A1 type of portable routers are always available here (group buying sites) but it cannot share data if you plug a thumb drive. USB is only for charging and sharing 3G.

A2 should work...

But without the SD Card reader, at 150 Ringgit (SGD 60), its more expensive compared to DLink 506L

Will be in Johor this weekend and check if cheaper alternatives to the Apotop are available.

15. rflores

I got you. But broadband sticks usually have microSD card slots in them, hence when you plug it in your wireless router, it also acts as the card reader.

16. ice

^Sorry but I can't find me email.

I asked this question from Asus, they told me that it won't work...

17. rflores

sux...

how about plugging in a standalone card reader?

Also, Are you familiar with this HAME brand? I just came from CDRKING and found the hame a1 and a2 on their shelves, only that they were rebranded as cdr king. Makes me worry.

18. ice

For portable routers like the A1, it cannot read the files when you plug a Thumb Drive or Card Reader, its normally on sale here especially on group buying sites.

I'm not familiar with the brand Hame... but I've contacted Chinese manufacturers before (from Alibaba) and their products looked similar to Hame.

19. rflores

I have the same observations. It seems they are really rebranded Hame products.

I am choosing between 506L and A2.

506L is 2300 here while A2 is on promo at 1500 a piece.

A2 has the upperhand in that it can allow access via card reader AND it has plenty of supported media formats, xvid avi rmvb mkv mov mp4 3gp etc.

506L is only 800 more expensive but is the more recognize brand. supports only .mp4 and .mov.

20. ice

^about the supported formats. I'm a bit confused, isn't this dependent on your device? (phone/tablet).

I'm using an Apple Airport Extreme at home and my iPad cannot open .AVI files since my free File Explorer cannot open it.

No issues with my Android (ES File Explorer).