Will Philips Hue be available in your Digital Hub?

Discussion in 'Digital Hub' started by bedanmick, Oct 30, 2012.

1. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

my hue alternatives are still working. more than a year na! and im loving it!! hehe

2. zasRo

zasRo Member

I know this post is a bit old already. But im wondering do the Philips Hue bulbs purchased in the US works here in the Philippines? Others were saying it does though box and bulb says 110-130v

3. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

I opted to use them using floor lamps connected to 220 to 110 step-down transformers. They don't work on 220v. it would light up but won't turn off, so be safe and just use it on 110v system. yeelight is a great alternative too.

4. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

The Philips Hue system is very much overpriced for what it can do. I agree that Yeelight would be the better, bang-for-buck alternative.

jayparalejas likes this.
  5. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Does Yeelight have HomeKit support yet?

6. oj88

7. bacchus_3

The premium of Philips Hue is its Homekit support. Yeelight though cheap has limited support. I guess for non-Homekit users that’s convenient...but not applicable for all.

8. oj88

The premium of the Hue system is not hinged on HomeKit support. HomeKit support only came out just a little over a year ago. The Hue ecosystem had been around since 2012 and they've been expensive from the get go.

That said, if you're hell-bent on running HomeKit (as opposed to Alexa or Google Home), you have very limited choices and unfortunately, you will have to spend more with a Hue system which the Alexa/GH + Yeelight combo can equally do at a fraction of the cost.

9. bacchus_3

I’ve used the Hue since 2013 and they had iOS/HomeKit support since then. You misunderstood the ‘premium’ part. For any IOT device to support iOS/HomeKit is to get certified for MFI...and Apple being Apple, you can fill-in whatever narrative you want here :)

10. bacchus_3

“hell-bent” - this isn’t a HomeKit vs Alexa thread. You pick your toys, I pick mine :) but if a cheap device fits my ecosystem, I’d be happy to try it.

11. oj88

What I meant by that is that you obviously wanted to maximize your Apple ecosystem and use it solely to control smart home devices. But to do so, you will have no choice but to go the HomeKit route. This however, narrows down your smart home device choices to maybe just a third or less of what is available in the wild.

No, I'm not trying to sway you into thinking a different ecosystem is better. I'm sure Apple's own is built more streamlined with the "it just works" tagline hard-coded on many of their devices which Apple users hold dear. I'm strictly coming from a bang-for-buck perspective. If something else can do most, if not all, of the things the Hue system can for a tiny cost, wouldn't that be a game-changer?

Sorry, wasn't HomeKit introduced sometime 3Q2014? How were you able to control it via iOS in 2013? No, I'm genuinely curious. Up until HomeKit was released, iOS didn't have home automation capabilities, afaik. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Unless, you meant using the Hue app in iOS.

12. bacchus_3

@oj88 in 2013 there was Hue app, with Siri support...then HomeKit - based off the `primitive` approach as it was then on Siri. My dates may be off but apologies if I had iOS technology way earlier than common folk. IOT was just starting, everything had a premium.

Let's agree on one thing. This thread is for people curious about Hue... I think there's a Yeelight thread out there somewhere I'm following too - hoping for simplified HomeKit support soon.

zoo101 likes this.
  13. oj88

Agree. Hue was a pioneer and that alone probably commanded a premium. It’s a shame they never made their price point more appealing when demand started to pour in. Consequently, smaller players started eating at their piece of the pie.

bacchus_3 and zoo101 like this.
  14. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

interesting exchange there @bacchus_3 and @oj88; learned something new. now where is that Yeelight thread...

15. eag

eag Well-Known Member

@bacchus_3 and @oj88 - Get a room, guys
    Just kidding, your exchange was actually informative

16. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

You know I read the title wrong. I thought it said..Wilson Phillips avaliable at Digital Hub. :ROFLMAO: