Will apple replace my swollen battery? :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by feistycarlo, Aug 3, 2011.

1. feistycarlo

feistycarlo Member

Is this the right apple SG toll free number?

800-186-1087

I can't seem to connect even when i'm using a PLDT line. :confused:

2. angelove

angelove Member

I had mine replaced for free. It was out of warranty but this was done in the US. I didn't try the local resellers.

3. empty

empty Active Member

I brought my late 2006 Macbook with swollen battery to PMC. They hooked it up to their diagnostic system and the battery came up red. When he looked at the details it said something about "may exhibit sudden sutdown" or something along those lines. The "for replacement" and "For Repair" boxes were also red which I assume means that it was not eligible for replacement under the Apple Quality Program. The tech told me that the battery was already bad but since its 4 years old its expected.

The battery still works for more than 2 hours and does not suddenly shut off or have a high self discharge rate.

4. muchos

muchos Member

Are there other centers that cater to battery replacements? Checked with PMC and DH but it would take them about 15 working days to order the battery so hoping for another alternative.

5. Adobo

Adobo Member

IMO, if it is swollen, it MUST be replaced. This is a different issue from "exhausted" batteries.

The cells are dying and it could even burn/explode if the lithium is exposed...

6. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member

^Bloating is said to be a characteristic of the "consumed" state of batteries, so if it's bloated but consumed, no love for you there.

7. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

It always helps to give it a shot.

8. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

yup no harm in trying :) & if you were declined, try to get a second opinion. the first store i went to declined my swollen battery, but when i went to digital hub vmall, they agreed to replace my battery. :)

9. ohwtfitzsean

ohwtfitzsean Active Member

Is it bad if you still use the bloated battery?

10. jushjush

jushjush Member

yes. in fact, its quite dangerous. it can a) explode (unlikely though) or b) damage your trackpad since it is essentially 'pushing' the inside of your trackpad. just run your macbook plugged without the battery until you get a replacement. :)

11. Arel

Arel Active Member

Sometime this year, Digital Hub-VMall assisted me in getting my bloated MB battery replaced via AppleCare.

They were even ahead of sked in getting the replacement battery.

12. ohwtfitzsean

ohwtfitzsean Active Member

Yeah mines got bloated a year ago, and since Ive been using it plugged but one time ng brownout and I decided to use the battery again, with the bottom part battery already sticking out and you can almost see the inside of the battery. haha I was able to use it and the trackpad worked fine.

13. Salaryman Ryan

Like many old hands here, I have owned my share of old laptops with batteries that seen better days and I wonder if bloating is really a characteristic of a spent battery? I have old Powerbook and iBook batteries that can barely run for 10 minutes but none of them had bloating.

14. bad_boy

Staff Member

^Perhaps for the newer models? Well, that was what the tech (Senco) told me when I brought a friend's unit in for evaluation...

15. Adobo

Adobo Member

I'm saying this with outmost respect, but where did they say that bloating is a normal state of a battery consumed or otherwise? I've studied batteries for my thesis and every literature I came across said that it is an abnormal behavior.

Though I agree that they would not replace it if its consumed, swollen or not.

Edit: I just don't want to see that this would become acceptable. They used to recall bloated batteries but lately people think that this is normal (incident with Sony manufactured batts where they explode, lots of videos in Youtube). Like what Ryan said, I never encountered this in old laptops and I've been using one since ~1994.

Old Engadget article, back when bloated batts were immediately recalled:
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/21/swollen-batteries-affecting-17-inch-macbook-pros-too/
    As we have all learned, swelling is typically the final stage before explosion.

Sayang they removed the video from here:
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/14/the-stages-of-an-exploding-laptop-battery/

3rd edit:
    *I'm passionate about this topic because I don't want this to happen to me :)*
    Searched around the apple forums, web, etc. The answer is inconsistent, it depends on who you talk to, etc. Best bet is to get hold of Apple customer service and not just authorized resellers.

Maybe this will convince them:
    http://www.cultofmac.com/did-you-he...pple-store-with-an-assault-rifle-image/108594

#35 Adobo, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  16. claudiey

claudiey Member

Personally, even though I took care of my Macbook's battery (it only has less than 100 cycles), it still bloated. My Macbook is actually the first laptop that I had ever seen the battery to swell. I used old PC laptops before but they never suffered from swollen batteries. So it really came as a surprise that Macbook batteries become bloated no matter how good you take care of them.

17. bad_boy

Staff Member

Right here:
    I haven't tried at other ASPs, so YMMV :)

18. mannyespejo

mannyespejo Active Member

I got my battery replaced through AASP here in Dubai. First I emailed them that I have a bloated battery and asked if its eligible for replacement under APP. At first, they said "No" because battery is a consumable so not covered by warranty. They asked me to send the serial number of my Macbook and the battery, so I did, I even attached the picture of the bloated battery. They said they will ask for approval from the Apple Global warranty and let me know. After 2 weeks, they said my request was approved and the replacement battery is ready for pick up. Note that the request was approved just by checking the serial no. and APP, and no test was done to check if the battery was consumed or not.

19. Salaryman Ryan

I really hate to say it but I have a similar experience with my Vaio and Toshiba laptops. I have two ten year old Toshibas and a 4 year old Vaio and both machines can barely hold a 5 minute charge but never had any problems with swollen batteries.

20. hungryalien

hungryalien Active Member

left my bloated mbp battery at DH vmall for evaluation.. upon initial system check-up, the battery is in good health, with about 287 cycles. they said if its within 300 cycles, there's a good chance the battery can be replaced.

so did they replaced your battery under the first year warranty or during the extended apple care period?