will apple easily replace batteries within warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by feistycarlo, Jan 5, 2009.

1. feistycarlo

feistycarlo Member

i'm not yet a mac user but i'm thinking of buying a 2nd hand mac. since most of the macs i've been viewing have battery cycles from 100-300+, i'm thinking whether it can be replaced easily without questions at powermac or apple store.

Will it be possible? Since i don't really want to buy a replacement if it's still on warranty.

I hope you guys can help me. ;)

2. Epzilog

Epzilog Member

3. red

red Member

Apple Care does not include batteries unless it's a defect. Batteries are considered consumables.

Taken from the Terms of Conditions of Apple Care under Limitations The Plan does not cover:

"(ix) Consumable parts, such as batteries, except in respect of battery coverage under APP for
    iPod or unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials and workmanship;
    "

4. feistycarlo

feistycarlo Member

thank you for your replies. :)

i'm just a little confused. I browsed through some of the forums here and some members said that their batteries were replaced without questions.

Will it vary based on what service center we have the batteries replaced?

5. rattrapante

rattrapante Member

Kepp looking, I was able to purchase 2 2nd hand units last month that had battery cycles under 60.

Batteries that have been recalled or have defects will be replaced, and in most cases, no question asked, but it won't be replaced, like in your case, just because it was used very often. Warranties are for repair or replacement of defective units and parts only.

Its no different with your cellphones, even if under warranty, you can't go to let say Nokia center and ask for a replacement battery because you use your phone heavily and the battery is no longer as strong as it use to be.

#5 rattrapante, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  6. feistycarlo

feistycarlo Member

thank you for the information.

I guess i should therefore find something defective in the battery of the mac i'll be purchasing if ever i want to replace the battery.

hmm or better yet, find a better 2nd hand mac with lower battery cycles.

7. rattrapante

rattrapante Member

Sounds like a better plan, a unit whose battery that has lower battery cycles may also signify that it wasn't as used. Sometimes the exterior can be decieving, specially when the original owner used a protective case.

8. cmclim

cmclim Active Member

Got mine with less than 40 cycles

9. shahr04360

shahr04360 New Member

AFAIK, if your battery had issue within a year from purchased date, then you got a replacement. Anyway, good luck!

10. dakilang_waiter

dakilang_waiter Active Member

What about Apple replacement batteries that are bought separately? Are they covered by 1 year warranty?

11. kalbs

kalbs Member

if purchased as Finished Good, then it should have a 1-yr warranty.