WIFI router.. what to recommend? (merged)

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by rockinrobin, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^ S&H is P1,084.44, keep in mind that I only ordered the 1-pack

2. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

thanks, hopefully it is more or less the same worh the 3s

3. Netskipper

Netskipper Well-Known Member

How about customs? Did you have any issues with them?

4. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

Looks like I now know what I am gifting the parentals when I come home to the PH. :)) Will fix the bad wifi signals hopefully

5. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Nadah. Amazon FTW

Netskipper likes this.
  6. jologs

jologs Member

Were you charged "import fees deposit" and did any excess portion of that get refunded?

I have always hesitated on pulling the trigger on direct shipping with Amazon because their import fees deposit + shipping usually cost more than the item itself.

7. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

Import fees deposit only kick in if your total order costs over $200. All my past orders from Amazon shipped directly to the PH cost less than $200 and they never included the import fees deposit.

8. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

They're rolling it out. Saw some ads. I'm happy Mesh Wifi is gaining traction here.

Though I'd recommend getting your own tbh. It's a long term investment that is telco agnostic.

Plume, which is what I'm using, has switched to subscription based model recently.

1. You Subscribe @ $60 a year or $200 lifetime* for continued feature rollout (parental controls, WPA3 Security, HomePass, etc).
    2. You get the hardware for dirt cheap, maybe at-cost.
    3. Warranty as long as you're subscribed and guaranteed discounts for future hardware.

*realistically, lifetime here is as long as Plume is alive as they are cloud-based. I think they do have some type of contingency when they go out of business.

I was grandfathered in to free lifetime subscription but am skeptical about routers going the subscription model. Being cloud-based does add to operational expenses.

It's something new to me, and frankly it gets awkward down the line if you cancel your sub and is left with a bricked hardware. I get that they need to actually have a solid bedrock of subs to stay relevant and financially afloat. Hopefully it helps cause I'm actually rooting for them. I'm happy with my system right now.

Entry-level pricing is cheaper now though so you can get a 3-pack (1 SuperPod + 2 Classic Pods) + 1 year subscription at around $99 which undercuts many mesh wifi by more than half.

They also offered early adopters $39 3-packs. That's around 2k to improve my existing 3-pack that's performing acceptably.

9. a9828

a9828 Member

nice. so how does it work upon subscription? 200usd looks ok considering google wifi is 300 one time

10. rdy0329

I don't actually know. The least they can do is make it a "dumb" mesh router by just having routing functions on-device.

They have telco partners in US and Canada so I'm pretty confident they won't go under within 2-3 years.

11. macxchange

macxchange Well-Known Member

May I ask if Plume is auto volt? Will it work on a 220v PH system?

12. kinse_44

kinse_44 Well-Known Member

Heads up for those interested in the Google WiFi, there’s a Prime Day deal for the single pack at $99. I was hoping the 3 pack would be getting a price chop as well but at $258 it’s already a good deal.

13. macfrancis

macfrancis Member

I talked to the local IT Shops here in Philippines.
    The Linksys Velop DB AC1300 per node Intelligent Mesh Wifi System will be available this month.
    The SRPs are @ 1 pack - P5,995, 2 pack - P10,995, 3 pack - P15,995 with 3 years warranty.

14. rdy0329

They are. Though official stance of customer srvice adviser is they don’t honor warranty claims for units used outside official markets (US and Canada). PH’s electrical grid is a bingo game. One unit of my friend’s plume went kaput. Power supply failed, it happens especially on the size they were aiming for,.

I went ahead and ordered the 3-pack deal which would see me get 1 super pod + 1 regular pod while the other regular pod would be replacing my friend’s.

If you really want to be careful about your investment, any plug with safety features like surge protector would do the job.

macxchange likes this.
  15. macjobber

macjobber Well-Known Member

Xiaomi's Router 3C at just P1,150.

No complaints so far, with QoS and ability to add storage for downloads.

Don Pao likes this.
  16. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Me too using Xiaomi 3 Router the one that has USB port. got it at Xiaomi store Trinoma for 11XX can't remember but roughly 1.1k

it works :)

macjobber likes this.
  17. doblezeta

doblezeta Active Member

After 10+ years on the Airport line of routers, I've decided to start the moving on process to mesh networking. Got myself a 2-pack TP-Link Deco M9 Plus, which just came out this week. It's tri-band, has dedicated backhaul channel (which is important for true "mesh"), and has ZigBee built-in (low power IOT protocol). For now my Airports and Decos will co-exist muna, but eventually will retire the Airports.

.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

rdy0329, sibilly and Sunil_K like this.
  18. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Wow, this is nice.... Bitdefender Box v2

It's designed to protect your home network, particularly your smart home and IoT devices, and then some.

And the recent update now allows integration with Google Assistant and Alexa.

Merely a couple of years ago, this was just stuff of science fiction. It's really interesting to see where smart devices are going. At this rate, will Skynet be just around the corner? :D

Product link: https://www.bitdefender.com/box/

19. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

For those with Asus AI Mesh-compatible routers (e.g., RT-AC88U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC5300, etc.), has anyone shifted their Asus routers to AI Mesh, the Asus version of mesh networking? If yes, how does it compare to the traditional router setup?

20. vincer

vincer Member

3-pack tplink deco M5 is currently $170 only at Amazon. :)

Sunil_K likes this.